Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1805
Thor Axis Mightmare RV.

I have posted comments before about my Axis, a whole laundry list of issues to say the least! Aside from having the bathroom bifold door replaced twice, and having the entry door changed out, it goes on and on. The latest is the front end alignment ! Beware have it checked! 12,000 miles and two brand new Michelin 10 ply tires worn out on the inside so bad that I had to have them replaced. I'm in the process of trying to get a refund for the really bad front end alignment problem causing tire wear. In my entire life I have never seen tires so ground down on the inside so bad. Bill Stout is the contact person but he hasn' t returned my calls. I don't know if Ford or Thor is responsible. I will find out and will post results.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bru1102
Beware have it checked
Ours had a sticker right next to the drivers seat when we picked it up saying it needed an alignment. In addition during the walkthrough our dealer stressed at least twice to get it aligned.

In addition, Ford covers alignments for the first year of ownership.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Bru11,

In my quest to get the front end alignment done once I purchased my 2016 Vegas 24.1 I got the rules explained to me this way:
- if the Toe-in is off then it is a Thor problem with Thor re-imbursement.
- anything else you pay or fight with Ford.

Good Luck.

Doc Reott

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
To Doc's point - Ford has covered themselves. They sell the chassis aligned for the load it is carrying when it leaves the factory, i.e. - none. They make it clear that it must be re-aligned after the secondary manufacturer (Thor) finishes adding their stuff to it.

Some folks have been successful getting Thor to pay, but most seem to have negotiated it before taking their coach off the lot.

For what it's worth, both of my front wheels were toed OUT. No wonder it drove like a drunken puppy. Much better after alignment. I had to pay for it OoP since we are the second owners, but it only cost about 70 bucks - well worth it.

Regards,

Randy
Old 10-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

THOR #2142
I got ours fixed for $50, but I did get it reimbursed! Drives real easy with much less back/forth in the steering.
For what it is worth (all Greek to me) TOE: Before: .125 degrees +(1/8"). After: .025 degrees + (1/32").

Old 10-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #6

THOR #1805
Thanks. I should have been more proactive with the alignment problem, I just thought well, it.a new it.has to be right!! Boo hoo on me, An expensive lesson I might add!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #7

THOR #2142
Bru11,

You would think new = OK. But not always, in my case over just the past 6 weeks:
- The Safety Recall on the AC/Heater Control on the 2016 Vegas/Axis.
- Transmission Cable vs. Exhaust System for the E350 chassis.
- Harris Batteries vs. WFCO Converter/Charger for the Thor build.

Never assume! From now on I question, verify and keep records.

Looking forward to getting all the rough edges taken care of and get into some carefree RV'ing.

Doc

Old 10-22-2015, 02:00 AM   #8

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
As I mentioned in previous messages, our 2014 Vegas was way out of line. It handled much better after proper alignment at a Ford dealer. I had a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed for blow-out protection and improved handling. Simply amazing to drive, now. Thor reimbursed me for the front-end alignment. It is indeed a safety issue.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #9

Model: VEGAS
THOR #3113
You all have gotten off easy ! Our 2016 Vegas rear-end locked up 20 minutes from the dealer. We almost flipped over. Had to have the rig towed back to California. Dealer would not take our phone calls. Ford will replace the rear-end with a upgraded unit and a free oil change and alignment. Thor reps visited the rig and were so ashamed by the two cabinets that had gobs of calking on the back that they offered to repurchase or get us a new Vegas. However, we have to not say anything about it. Too boot there is a open recall on some Vegas/Axis. You guessed it the dealer sold a new rig with a open recall and dangerous at that.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #10

THOR #3113
This forum is so helpful. However, things do happen and dealers are not upfront so protect yourselves. I will post pictures of the cabinets soon. The ford reps could not stop from laughing. Just wait.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #11

Model: Axis
State: New Jersey
THOR #3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
This forum is so helpful. However, things do happen and dealers are not upfront so protect yourselves. I will post pictures of the cabinets soon. The ford reps could not stop from laughing. Just wait.

JackDog is your 216 on a E450 or E350 Chassis
Old 10-24-2015, 05:14 AM   #12

THOR #3113
It's a E350 can't imagine any more power in this rig. I got a call from Ford and they were upfront about selling a few length option to this chassis. Also an updated digital Gage is in the works.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #13

THOR #2142
Jack, please keep this Forum updated with postings on the digital upgrade!

Doc

Old 10-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdog
It's a E350 can't imagine any more power in this rig.
The E450 uses the same V-10 just frame and axles with a larger GVWR and GCWR.

2016 units are now being manufactured with the E450 underneath.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #15

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Better off without warranty?

After reading all the warranty horror stories from around the web (unfortunately, not limited to Thor products) I kinda think buying our Axis very slightly used might have been an unexpected blessing.

The Ford warranty remains, and despite a few issues reported here, the E350 is a solid platform. Lacking a coach warranty I knew I'd be on the hook for all repairs, and was mentally prepared to do them. l'm pretty handy, have a full woodworking shop in the basement, and worked in a Winnebago dealer's service department in college.

Surprisingly, Amazon has a great inventory of upgrade and repair parts, even the oddball stuff; with Amazon Prime shipping is free, and weeks quicker than waiting on Thor. Thankfully, we haven't needed much that really had to come from Thor. Should I need repairs that I can't do I can choose the shop I'm most comfortable with.

The best part is, I know things are done right when I do them. I often upgrade while I'm at it so the coach just keeps getting better. And, I've developed a really good understanding of the coach and it's systems.

I'm sure self-maintenance isn't for everyone, but it might be worth considering. It's a heckuva lot less stressful than dealing with Thor and CW!

Regards,

Randy
Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 AM   #16

THOR #3113
So sorry you all the Ford dealer says I have a E450 chassis. Its just a little longer and heaver. Ford will stop making the E350. I think the trans maybe the 6 speed also.

The Digital dash is in the works and it would really make the Vegas/Axis coach state of the art. I laugh when I seen the steering wheel and dash it is very odd in today's world.

What a blessing for all of us to have such a blessing. Enjoy your Vegas/Axis!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #17

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
It has been noted in several threads on front end alignment -- especially the initial alignment -- that the Ford warranty covers a front end end alignment during the first 12 months or 12,000 miles. The comment on my 2015 Vegas is in the Ford Warranty booklet, page 14.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #18

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Jackdog,
Can you expand on the "digital dash in the works"? I am looking at buying an axis 24.1 and am not impressed with the dash and electronics. I would love to know what is in the plans for the 2017's as I can wait if I think there are improvements on the way. Thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 12:59 AM   #19

THOR #3113
Thor asked me what would I like to see changed and I said a digital dash. It is just plain laziness to not have that coach updated with technology in every way. Also a connection to have internet and Direct tv or dish continuous hooked up included. They would sale a billion of these rigs.

They said they are working on this as in a request from ford. I would not bet the farm on it. !!!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The E450 uses the same V-10 just frame and axles with a larger GVWR and GCWR.

2016 units are now being manufactured with the E450 underneath.
Do you have a source for the E-450 frame being different than the E-350's?

Looking at the published Ford specs I see that the E-450 frame is a little thicker gauge on the cutaway models, but on the stripped chassis the spec shows both to be the same. That seems very odd to me but I've checked it a few times. And it doesn't seem to be a misprint.

Regarding axles, the front is the same at up to 5,000 pounds, with the rear axle and springs being the only differences I can see between E-350 and E-450.