Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Thor is bringing back Carriage

Apparently Thor is bringing back Carriage. Here is a link to the article.
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/02/redwood-rv-names-tauer-as-product-manager/

anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
Only in name. They will not be able to match the quality Carriage had plus it will probably be built on a Lippert frame (my guess the Falcon frame Redwood uses). Thor has tried for years to build a more upper end unit and never made a go of it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #91
What I'm trying to figure out is if it will be a redwood product or a separate line of its own.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Ally, your link won't load.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #91
Ok here it should work
Redwood Adds Tauer; Carriage Revival Planned | RV Business
Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #6

THOR #88
I read that article the other day and this would lead me to believe if they do try and bring the Carriage name back it would be tied into Redwood. This would keep them from having to start a whole new company and utilize what they already have at Redwood. They can't use the old Carriage floor plans because Lifestyle RV owns those. I find it ironic that the current Redwood/Crossroads management team is the one that put Carriage out of business the first time....
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
And to think we almost bought a carriage back in the 90s. Ended up with a HH instead.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #8

THOR #88
There is another one (HH) I wish was still around. In our search for a new retirement trailer I am looking for units not built on a Lippert frame. The only exception is DRV Mobile Suites or the Tradition. HH would have been on the list if they were still in business.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
If I'm not mistaken, they resumed operations again. Some time back.
NuWa Industries, Inc.

http://www.nuwa.com/discover/coach/77/
Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #10

THOR #88
Lloyd, looks like they built trailers until December then will cease any new units. I read on rv.net that they would be working on used units and still have parts just not build any new units.

NuWa Industries to Cease Production, Considering Closure | RV Industry News
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
That one is a big surprise. What a shame for a Co. like that to close.
I was doing a little more reading on their web site.
It might be worth while to keep track of them.
NuWa Industries, Inc.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Even Jayco has gone with the Lippart Frames, as their supplier was bought out by Lippart. Who makes a Mid price unit with out the Lippart frames
Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #234
Re: Thor is bringing back Carriage

I contacted a rep from Redwood Tom Montague. He had claimed that the framework of Carriage, of the past, is outdated being square tube. Square tube steel is heavier and tends to rust from the inside out. The I-beam construction although, not new is used through the industry, such as; flat bed tractor trailers & bridges. Lippert or Falcon (I believe are one in the same) frames are used on many units. Purdue University has done a study, for Redwood and/or Thor and found that I-bean construction is stronger, lighter, and flexes better then square tube.
Carriage is suppose to be a larger and taller unit. It will have higher quality upgrades designed specifically for the Carriage brand. They also want to boast an 18,000 lb GVW.
The Redwood cannot compete with the Elite Suites by DRV. The Carriage will contend with that.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #14

THOR #88
I would take what Tom says with a grain of salt. Just about all the top RV manufactures use a box frame for strength and have been for years. I don't want my frame to "flex" and ask Tom to prove a I beam frame is stronger than a box frame. I can't ever remember reading about any box frame RV that the frame has rusted from the inside out and destroyed a frame. He tried to tell Crossroads owners that cutting the warranty in half from 2 years to 1 year would be better for the customer and got his tail torn up on the forum. I would think the market for high end expensive 5th wheels would be fairly small with the economy failing and fuel prices on the rise again.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #234
I had contacted "Tom" about the use of the Carriage name. He had informed me of their intentions of building the Carriage in our future.
I have written it on this forum to let people know what was conveyed to me.
I know people are looking forward to Carriage. Good or bad.
Holiday Rambler is producing a new 5er. It's a 2014 model year. They're taking orders now.
Newmar has stopped any production of trailers. I hope they're sitting back and designing a new 5er for the coming years.
My wife and I chose our Infinity 5er based on the amount of wardrobe space. Wardrobe cabinets in the bedroom slide and in the front closet. Also, overall living space.

Happy wife, happy life.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Just want to say one thing Boxed frames have been used in the building of trucks for years. They are a lot stronger than an I beam, and they do flex. Iwould take any thing that Tom has to say with a grain of salt. At this point they are not very customer based. Three weeks ago I email them for more info on the new CF355BL no response from the. You can not go on their web site and build what you want any more, and there is no section showing the different colors for the interior. The unfortunate thing is this division of Thor is now in the mode of just pay the money get what we send you and go away
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
I think I can add a little fuel to the fire here.
I think that the I beam is a stronger product then the tube. If used in the proper place. Trailers have the weight bearing down, so using an I beam gives a lot of strength, allowing for flex and not as prone to kinking or buckling as tube. As far as the flex argument, a rig has to flex to a certain degree, other wise something is going to break. The part about tube rusting from the inside, I'm not sure I can buy into that one
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #91
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Just want to say one thing Boxed frames have been used in the building of trucks for years. They are a lot stronger than an I beam, and they do flex. Iwould take any thing that Tom has to say with a grain of salt. At this point they are not very customer based. Three weeks ago I email them for more info on the new CF355BL no response from the. You can not go on their web site and build what you want any more, and there is no section showing the different colors for the interior. The unfortunate thing is this division of Thor is now in the mode of just pay the money get what we send you and go away
I emailed them about a sunset trail reserve 5er and have yet to hear back also. Doesn't bode well for them.