Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I’m also wondering why you took possession of the Motorhome if it had so many defects, especially the cosmetic ones that the dealer should have seen and taken care of, for 100k plus I’d have told them to keep it and demanded a refund on any deposits etc.

I was misled that the inspection fee would make sure all was in order and the defects were discovered the morning after pickup. I contacted them right away and I was assured everything would be handled in my warranty inspection. I was also never told that the PDI was my opportunity to inspect the rig. Instead I was told it was so they could show me how everything works in the rig. Lesson learned. I may be too trusting but I don't let myself get taken advantage of. I will keep emailing and calling all the way up the chain until this is taken care of.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #22

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I'm wondering why you paid the dealer $1000 for an inspection they should've done to begin with, you paid for the rv already. At the very least get your $1000 back as sounds like they overlooked a lot of stuff in that inspection. If any dealer I've dealt with said I owed a $1000 for an inspection I'd of told them where they could stick their rv, their inspection, & their dealership.

It was part of the negotiation process. They offered it as part of the deal so that I would pay $1000 more for the rig. I saw it for what it was but I also expected them to actually do what they said they would do which was inspect the unit and repair all the blemishes. And I will make sure that they do.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #23

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Live and learn...

I hope that your NEXT rig exceeds all of your wildest dreams and expectations!

Thank you. I still like this rig. Just want the Leno and sink chips fixed. I don't think I am asking too much.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #24

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Camping World charged 1k for the inspection of a unit they sold new?

Yes to inspect for factory defects. It was part of the sales price so while I didn't pay an additional $1000 as a desperate fee I was told the inspection was included in the price and would cost me $1000. I know this is a sales tactic but they made a promise to inspect the unit and make the repairs and then didn't.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
WOW is all I have to say, after my expensive repairs to our roof after the CW shop in Eugene replaced the "AC units and satellite dish. said never ever again will I support that company in any way shape or form..., and I will tell all who listen or not listen to RUN not walk away..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 PM   #26

State: Missouri
THOR #10032
My first post. I picked up a Quantum PD31 about 2 weeks ago. Even got it from dreaded Camping World. I bought from them because they are the only one I could find close that had what I was looking for. I started researching about 2 months ago. Every time I found a model I thought I liked I would find terrible reviews, that includeded all major brands. Finally someone told me to think about it this way...... they all use the same chassis, they all use the same appliance makers, since most are made in the same area (Indiana) they are all using the same pool of workers. It is what it is..... RV's, Harley's, Polaris Razors, boats, the all suffer from the recreational quality control blues. All you can do is find the model you like, inspect the heck out of it before you accept it, then still be willing to fix stuff that you find later. It's not restricted to any specific brand, I looked at a 280 grand Tiffin and it looked like the cabinets were about to fall off the wall. It's not right but that's the way it is if you want to play .
Old 11-17-2017, 12:07 AM   #27

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
Sounds like what I had with my 2017 Windsport 36p.
The camp water hose in side the rv was kinked so had no water.
The drawers under the closet fell out rear brace not hooked down,
micro wave fell out as the screws head was smaller than the hole in the bracket. Had to fix most my self as there was a 2 month wait to see the service writer then a 2 weeks before they worked on it, The parts were all ready there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	7820  
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 AM   #28

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Jacksonjack - first off YEAH and welcome to the world of vagabonds. Glad to hear you went into the buy with your eyes wide open. Personal opinion - you gotta know as much as you can know and that won't be enough. Enter this and some other very good forums.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:07 AM   #29

THOR #7738
Thor Continued unsatisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjlindsey View Post
I was misled that the inspection fee would make sure all was in order and the defects were discovered the morning after pickup. I contacted them right away and I was assured everything would be handled in my warranty inspection. I was also never told that the PDI was my opportunity to inspect the rig. Instead I was told it was so they could show me how everything works in the rig. Lesson learned. I may be too trusting but I don't let myself get taken advantage of. I will keep emailing and calling all the way up the chain until this is taken care of.

Update. After a ton of emails and calls Thor customer service called me and after a long conversation they said they would cover both the Leno repairs and replace the sink. I spoke to Jason who was absolutely wonderful. Plus I got to the bottom of why they denied my claim originally. They said CW received the unit in April. They were supposed to do an inspection report on any damages in the unit. Thor would then approve the repairs and then CW would then make the repairs. It seems CW didn't fill in this report until November 2017 while doing the warranty work even though they had the documentation from me including pictures in June when I picked up the unit. Because of the length in time between delivery and this form being filled out in November they denied the claim. This is because there is no way for them to be sure that CW didn't make the damages.

They did agree to make the repairs and helped me to find a qualified Leno company to make the repairs. I was going to have CW install the sink but they called and said my battery was dead and wanted me to pay them about $100 for a diagnostic and swap out of the new battery. Totally trying to rip me off. I said no thank you and cancelled the replacement of the sink with them. I don't know how they killed my chassis and house batteries both but I'm not paying them to fix it.

Brought it home after they jumped it. Ran it for about an hour and ran the generator too. Started right up. It is now plugged in. Will check the battery in a few days. If still a problem will take it to Ford and have it checked out.

What a pain. But glad to have it home. Looking for a new service center near Troutdale. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help. You guys are great.

Joyce.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:12 AM   #30

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Unfortunately is seems that RV service centers are in a rapid decline as far as performance and customer satisfaction. An RV service center I took my former DP to for many years and was consistently great to deal with, I'm told now has become fairly typical, takes months to get in, weeks to get anything done, and often comes out with more or different issues than it had when it went in. The dealer I'm currently working with for the Gemini, will at least work with me for appointments to get in, and they are pretty good to keep me informed with progress reports during the process. Still it takes longer IMO than it should, but in todays world its all relative and in that context better than many or most. As far as your area, you could call Thor for another service center recommendation, or talk to others that own RV's to see what experiences they have had with service centers.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #31

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
bnjlindsey - not sure how handy you are but if it was me, I'd have Thor send me the sink then install it myself. I know that is not the optimum but it is better than putting your coach in someone else hands.

Also, don't like to throw all CWs into the same BS sack - which CW was this ripoff location?

VERY IMPORTANT: being that CW killed your batteries make sure the first thing you do now is CHECK THE WATER LEVELS IN EACH CELL!!!
Old 11-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #32

State: Florida
THOR #9908
Camping World is the worst place to buy from. I learned this lesson the hard way. Purchased a Vegas from CW in Golden Co. Had many issues with the coach. Tried to get things resolved and sent messages via social media to the WELL KNOWN CEO. I was blocked from CW Twitter and Good Sam only because I was questioning the after sales service process at CW. The CEO of CW is all about People, Product and Process on TV (THE PROFIT). But when a customer tells him the PROCESS IS BROKEN, they run and hide. Bottom line I took a cold shower on the Vegas ( after 30 days of ownership) and purchssed another coach from Lazy Days. The after sales service IS AMAZING.

Thor called to discuss my issues and I explained that CW is only interested in selling UNITS not keeping CUSTOMERS.

How can CW Golden sell 30 to 40 units a month and only have 6 Service Bays??? they only care about making the sale. I also in the 30 days of ownership visited 3 other Camping World locations from Colorado to Florida. Poor service at each location.

I know that nothing is perfect in the RV world but the dealer is the face of the company to the customer handing this case AVOID CAMPING WORLD AT ALL COST!!!
Old 11-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #33

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbland7424 View Post
Camping World is the worst place to buy from. I learned this lesson the hard way. Purchased a Vegas from CW in Golden Co. Had many issues with the coach. Tried to get things resolved and sent messages via social media to the WELL KNOWN CEO. I was blocked from CW Twitter and Good Sam only because I was questioning the after sales service process at CW. The CEO of CW is all about People, Product and Process on TV (THE PROFIT). But when a customer tells him the PROCESS IS BROKEN, they run and hide. Bottom line I took a cold shower on the Vegas ( after 30 days of ownership) and purchssed another coach from Lazy Days. The after sales service IS AMAZING.

Thor called to discuss my issues and I explained that CW is only interested in selling UNITS not keeping CUSTOMERS.

How can CW Golden sell 30 to 40 units a month and only have 6 Service Bays??? they only care about making the sale. I also in the 30 days of ownership visited 3 other Camping World locations from Colorado to Florida. Poor service at each location.

I know that nothing is perfect in the RV world but the dealer is the face of the company to the customer handing this case AVOID CAMPING WORLD AT ALL COST!!!
Sales person I dealt with was not the greatest but finance officer was very helpful on getting an issue resolved for me. Service? To many rigs coming in all the time, not enough "qualified" people in shop. I was satisfied with price. Learned, service dept. in some way is not affiliated with Sales Dept. Seems they don't communicate well with each other. I was told after purchase and had to have some warranty things done, sales and service was independent to each other and I was told opposite of that from sales dept. I purchased extended service contract and was told at that time. WHATEVER issue you have with your rig, no matter if it's Thor issue or Ford issue, just bring in to service dept. and they would handle it. Not what I found out when needed Ford issue taken care of. Service told me, have to take it "myself" to Ford dealership that works on R.V.'s. Only one available for me is far from where I live. Sucks after deal is done.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #34

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3267 View Post
Brad&Karen , that’s excellent feedback, what model RV did you purchase and where did you buy your RV ? Thanks !

I bought a 2018 Thor Hurricane from Camping World in Fairview Oregon. But I think they are listed as in Portland, Oregon.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #35

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Live and learn...

I hope that your NEXT rig exceeds all of your wildest dreams and expectations!

I am not unhappy with the rig. I am unhappy with the service Camping World provides.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #36

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Sadly the ones who are often taken advantage of are the ones who can't afford to live and learn. Like me they take their entire life's savings and put it towards a retirement dream and there are no others in our future. This is it.

As for factory defects being a dealer responsibility... That's why so many people hate their dealers because they have so many factory issues to deal with it results in poor service or in my case "no service" and the current trend is it's ok if the factory makes crap and ships it to dealers to deal with. Until the manufacturers are held responsible it will never get better. #ThorLacksIntegrity

I agree but here is the problem. Dealerships don't do the inspection when they receive the rig so the manufacturer knows what is being shipped out. Instead they try to pass it off to the customer and then by the time you get to a warranty repair appointment Thor doesn't know when the damages occurred. The thing that saved my butt was that I had called Thor right away when I could get Camping World in Portland to file a claim. Thor documented the damages in the notes about my call. Camping World had had the rig for over 30 days and never submitted the damage report to Thor until November when I took it in for the warranty repairs. So of course Thor was going to deny my claim. They have since agreed to do all the repairs because I had documented conversations with my salesman to proved the damages were there when I purchased it. They also used the notes in their system that I had called right away to report the damages.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #37

THOR #7738
Thor Continued unsatisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
WOW is all I have to say, after my expensive repairs to our roof after the CW shop in Eugene replaced the "AC units and satellite dish. said never ever again will I support that company in any way shape or form..., and I will tell all who listen or not listen to RUN not walk away..

Yeah I just picked up my rig and it now has a new problem that I believe CW caused but I will never take my rig back to them. Who do you use for service now?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #38

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
A lot of perceptions of the manufacture are created by the dealer. Though there were certainly a number of problems caused by poor workmanship and incomplete assembly, on the Gemini, the dealer I bought from, seemed to have no problem getting Thor to authorize repairs, and parts when necessary.

That is because the dealers throw the manufacturers under the bus. I have since learned that it was Camping World who dropped the ball and not Thor.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #39

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjlindsey View Post
I am in the process of filing a complaint with CW rapid response who replied that they will try to get my money for the inspection refunded. Hopefully they will also make the repairs.

Thor has agreed to make the repairs and yes I did go up the chain as high as I could go. But the issue was not actually with Thor it was with Camping World for never sending in a damage report to Thor documenting the damages. Instead they wait until the warranty repair appointment which for me was 6 months later. Thor has since agreed to make the repairs.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #40

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
I have to say that any cosmetic damage like your chips in the sink, or missing latches are the responsibility of the dealer. When they take delivery they have to report any damages to Thor immediately. If it's damaged at the dealer they're responsible for the repairs before they sell the unit. This is one of the reasons you have a thorough walk-through, then have those items fixed before you sign the papers and drive off the lot.

We walked away from one coach because it had probably a dozen small cosmetic issues. A chipped mirror, nick in the dinette seat back, the fridge had something spilled in it, scratched floor, etc. It was just too many for us to overlook when there were other RVs at other dealers. Items like crooked screws and a poorly placed toilet paper holder are not necessarily warranty items, but that and the cracked wood and loose trim would have caused me to walk away. In the end we found exactly what we were looking for at a great price with only two items that needed attention at our PDI and the dealer took care of those. We've owned our coach now for 10 months and LOVE it. Yes, we have had a few problems pop up. Some small some not so small, but Thor and General RV have come through for us and taken care of everything.

I am not trying to downplay your situation at all. The quality of work on your RV definitely had some issues. I am just saying that as buyers we have to be our own best advocates and make sure we are getting the best unit in the best condition for our money. That takes knowledge, time and persistence, and you have to be willing to walk away. This is true of any major purchase.

Best of luck with your RV. Things do get better once all the wrinkles are ironed out.

Yes this is true if major purchases. However when you have a sales team that pulls every trick in the book it is hard to not be taken advantage of. Especially when this is your first purchase. I have bought many cars and have always been treated very well. Buying a new rv is a new beast but I am learning and very quickly.