Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #7738
Thor Continued unsatisfaction.

Well I finally got the response from Thor customer service about the many repairs needed on my new Thor Hurricane. They are refusing to fix the cuts in the Leno and the chips in the sink were also a no go. They did agree to fix the brake alarm and release since it was installed wrong. I had already fixed all the other things myself including the water tank that fell out during a trip because they only installed one screw in the brace, a latch that was installed without pre drilling and cracked the wood, numerous screws installed crooked, a toilet paper holder installed too close together to get a roll of paper in, reattached the back of one of the benches at the dinette because it wasn't secured correctly, reattached trim in several places, replaced missing screen latches, adjusted windshield wipers so they actually clean the windows, and a lot of other things.

I also pulled out long zip ties, screws, pieces of trim, saw dust etc out from under the slide. Glad I saw those before one of them ended up in the tracks of my slide.

It is really sad that you pay this much for a new rig to have to make all these repairs. All I can say is I would never buy another Thor with this shoddy work and lack of standing behind their product.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #7096
Thor Continued unsatisfaction.

Wow [emoji50], you need to go up the Thor company chain ! And be heard! That’s Total Bullshit ! I wound threaten them will posting a you Tube video all of Thor Sloppy RV Construction [emoji375] perhaps they will listen to you then !
Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
I have to say that any cosmetic damage like your chips in the sink, or missing latches are the responsibility of the dealer. When they take delivery they have to report any damages to Thor immediately. If it's damaged at the dealer they're responsible for the repairs before they sell the unit. This is one of the reasons you have a thorough walk-through, then have those items fixed before you sign the papers and drive off the lot.

We walked away from one coach because it had probably a dozen small cosmetic issues. A chipped mirror, nick in the dinette seat back, the fridge had something spilled in it, scratched floor, etc. It was just too many for us to overlook when there were other RVs at other dealers. Items like crooked screws and a poorly placed toilet paper holder are not necessarily warranty items, but that and the cracked wood and loose trim would have caused me to walk away. In the end we found exactly what we were looking for at a great price with only two items that needed attention at our PDI and the dealer took care of those. We've owned our coach now for 10 months and LOVE it. Yes, we have had a few problems pop up. Some small some not so small, but Thor and General RV have come through for us and taken care of everything.

I am not trying to downplay your situation at all. The quality of work on your RV definitely had some issues. I am just saying that as buyers we have to be our own best advocates and make sure we are getting the best unit in the best condition for our money. That takes knowledge, time and persistence, and you have to be willing to walk away. This is true of any major purchase.

Best of luck with your RV. Things do get better once all the wrinkles are ironed out.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Soooo, was that "Thor response" relayed through the dealer? Or directly to you? If through the dealer ignore it and call Thor directly. I assume you documented these cosmetic issues before you accepted the coach?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Soooo, was that "Thor response" relayed through the dealer? Or directly to you? If through the dealer ignore it and call Thor directly. I assume you documented these cosmetic issues before you accepted the coach?

Yes it was relayed through the dealer. And yes I will be calling Thor. I did document them but I was assured that they would be taken care of so I took the rig. Also I paid Camping World $1000 to have the unit inspected and all these things fixed. Now I am being told that I took possession so I am responsible. I do have texts from my salesman saying all I needed to do was contact customer service and they would do all the warranty repairs. Obviously I was lied to on many occasions.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #6

Model: Class C 31L
State: Illinois
THOR #7768
I’m also wondering why you took possession of the Motorhome if it had so many defects, especially the cosmetic ones that the dealer should have seen and taken care of, for 100k plus I’d have told them to keep it and demanded a refund on any deposits etc.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I'm wondering why you paid the dealer $1000 for an inspection they should've done to begin with, you paid for the rv already. At the very least get your $1000 back as sounds like they overlooked a lot of stuff in that inspection. If any dealer I've dealt with said I owed a $1000 for an inspection I'd of told them where they could stick their rv, their inspection, & their dealership.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Live and learn...
I hope that your NEXT rig exceeds all of your wildest dreams and expectations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Model: Class C 31L
State: Illinois
THOR #7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I'm wondering why you paid the dealer $1000 for an inspection they should've done to begin with, you paid for the rv already. At the very least get your $1000 back as sounds like they overlooked a lot of stuff in that inspection. If any dealer I've dealt with said I owed a $1000 for an inspection I'd of told them where they could stick their rv, their inspection, & their dealership.
Camping World charged 1k for the inspection of a unit they sold new?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Oregon may be different, but when you purchase a new vehicle (or maybe even a used vehicle from a dealer) here in Florida one of the sheets you sign is a list of what the dealer OWES you. Things like free oil changes or any outstanding repairs or not yet installed accessories go on that list to protect the customer from lying sales people.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #7096
Brad&Karen , that’s excellent feedback, what model RV did you purchase and where did you buy your RV ? Thanks !
Old 11-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3267 View Post
Brad&Karen , that’s excellent feedback, what model RV did you purchase and where did you buy your RV ? Thanks !
We bought a 2017 Challenger 37LX from Open Roads Complete RV in Woodstock GA. It was an out of state purchase for us. We flew into Atlanta and they pick us up at the airport. They were amazing to work with. It's a family owned business and everyone we dealt with there was fantastic. We would go there for service if we weren't 500 miles away. For warranty work Thor sent us to General RV, another dealership I would recommend.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #13

State: California
THOR #8920
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjlindsey View Post
Yes it was relayed through the dealer. And yes I will be calling Thor. I did document them but I was assured that they would be taken care of so I took the rig. Also I paid Camping World $1000 to have the unit inspected and all these things fixed. Now I am being told that I took possession so I am responsible. I do have texts from my salesman saying all I needed to do was contact customer service and they would do all the warranty repairs. Obviously I was lied to on many occasions.
Lesson Learned... I spoke with Camping World also and did not like how sales presented themselves.. wont be buying through them. They wanted to charge me $1800.00 for inspection and walk through..? Why are you charging me to inspect something that you are selling? does not make any sense.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
[QUOTE=sonnyh99;97867]They wanted to charge me $1800.00 for inspection and walk through..? Why are you charging me to inspect something that you are selling? QUOTE]
Wow...
"There's a sucker born every minute", is a quote attributed to P.T Barnum...

...and well-practiced; by salesman everywhere!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 AM   #15

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Wow [emoji50], you need to go up the Thor company chain ! And be heard! That’s Total Bullshit ! I wound threaten them will posting a you Tube video all of Thor Sloppy RV Construction [emoji375] perhaps they will listen to you then !
I did that and filed a complaint with the NHTSA with some of my issues. Thor just writes you and moves on to someone else they think they can make happy. There are many of us out here they ignore because they have a legal team second to none. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Old 11-16-2017, 12:18 AM   #16

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
This sounds no different than the $600 dealer prep fee that every dealer now charges for cars at least in the Florida area
Old 11-16-2017, 12:20 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Live and learn...
I hope that your NEXT rig exceeds all of your wildest dreams and expectations!
Sadly the ones who are often taken advantage of are the ones who can't afford to live and learn. Like me they take their entire life's savings and put it towards a retirement dream and there are no others in our future. This is it.

As for factory defects being a dealer responsibility... That's why so many people hate their dealers because they have so many factory issues to deal with it results in poor service or in my case "no service" and the current trend is it's ok if the factory makes crap and ships it to dealers to deal with. Until the manufacturers are held responsible it will never get better. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Old 11-16-2017, 02:40 AM   #18

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
A lot of perceptions of the manufacture are created by the dealer. Though there were certainly a number of problems caused by poor workmanship and incomplete assembly, on the Gemini, the dealer I bought from, seemed to have no problem getting Thor to authorize repairs, and parts when necessary.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:12 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Wow - what an absolute hose job. Gotta say, from what I understand from the overview the thread ought to be CW Continued unsatisfaction. I noted an issue with a table top during our PDI, rather than make a trip back to my dealer - Thor shipped the new table top directly to me and I installed. Once our dealer and we agreed on the price, no more add ons. Our dealer could make the numbers say whatever they wanted them to but the #s we signed for were the only numbers I cared about. Add $1000 for an inspection on after our agreement and we'd have walked.

WOW - what a HOSING.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #20

THOR #7738
Quote:

I am in the process of filing a complaint with CW rapid response who replied that they will try to get my money for the inspection refunded. Hopefully they will also make the repairs.