Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2021, 10:46 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #24823
Rear shocks

I have a thor freedom elite 22e on a chevy chassis 3500 and I need to replace the stock shocks for a heavy duty set I always carry a motorcycle on the hitch any body can recommend a brand or part #

Old 09-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robat View Post
I have a thor freedom elite 22e on a chevy chassis 3500 and I need to replace the stock shocks for a heavy duty set I always carry a motorcycle on the hitch any body can recommend a brand or part #
Shock won't compensate for an overloaded axle. When you say a motorcycle on a lift, I carried a Harley Davidson bagger on a Hydralift for a few years on an Itasca Horizon diesel pusher. That chassis was made to handle it. A thor C on a 3500 chassis isn't. Let's clarify what you mean by "carry a motorcycle on a hitch". What motorcycle and what hitch? Likely the hitch rating is 5000# and tongue weight of 500# for towing, you very quickly with your potential load have exceeded that tongue weight plus with most gas C you are already close to your RAWR when empty.

So if you decide to ignore all that and need help with the weight, add air springs. They won't increase the CCC you have and won't increase either the GVWR or RAWR, l but they will help your overloaded RV ride level. IF you can find air springs that will go on a thor.

Back to shocks, an overloaded chassis on HD shocks will ride flat too, just dampen the shock to the chassis with bumps.

EDIT adding; I looked at new FE 22E specs and see the hitch rating is 8000# and only 3700 between GVWR and GCVWR so you'll never get to use that 8K# hitch capacity. I'm going to presume that you haven't been to the scales to know what it weighs, most people don't but with the RV loaded to travel including fuel and water that's normal for you go to the scales and see what payload is really left. Then figure the weight of the motorcycle carrier and bike.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #3

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Bilstein tends to have a good reputation for heavy duty shocks. I use them.

Most of the major brands such as Monroe, Rancho, Al-KO will make a good product that will be just fine. Just have to check if they have a model that fits your Chevy.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #24823
Thanks for the comments and advice
Old 09-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robat View Post
Thanks for the comments and advice
Sorry if the message sound rough but without knowing what you have and what the carrier is I had to figure the "worst case". If t's something like a Honda 50 or small scooter and a light weight carrier you might be OK. But a trip to the scales is still in order so you know for sure what your status is. Good luck on which way you go.

With a small bike and carrier you won't run out of tongue weight with likely 800# available, but what ever is on the back subtracts from what ever you have inside. Right off the bat do you know what the available cargo capacity is? It's on the Tire and Loading chart, the one with the bright yellow highlights in one of your front door jambs. That should give you available CC with full fuel tanks and I can't get a clear answer if that considers a driver and propane. Some say yes, some say no. Talking about Thor reps.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Realize the E350 chassis is equivalent to 1 ton pickup that's had the frame extended behind the axles to accommodate the house built above it thereby increasing the lever action when adding heavy items to the hitch.
IMHO the hitch on class C motorhomes are designed for towing vehicles or small trailers not carrying heavy loads without serious modification to the frame.