Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum PD 31
State: Virginia
THOR #7506
Extended Warranty Question

I currently have a Quantum PD31 being built at the Thor factory. Does it make any sense to purchase an extended warranty at purchase time since the unit is covered by Thor the first 12 months and the Ford chassis is 3/36 by Ford? I have researched several companies because I know dealers have a big markup on these. Let me state that I am not the most mechanically inclined person out there, so at some point I want to be covered on repairs....thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Extended warrantees are rarely a good deal for the consumer. You are literally betting that your RV will have problems. Having said that, I have an extended warrantee on ours, and yes I am well aware It will likely cost me more money in the long run, but I do sleep better knowing I have it. I get the feeling from your post, you too will sleep better having it.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #8920
Shop Around and get quotes from different companies before buying it. Dealers mark up is crazy!!.. Wholesale Warranties seems to have the best priced. I haven't bought any yet but I did do all my research ... At least you have some sort of $$ amount to go by when negotiating with the dealer.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #4

THOR #7506
So far Wholesale Warranties has the best bang for the money. They are offering their Viking Protection plan which is much cheaper than the dealer. Just don't know about the Viking plan reviews since it is their in house product and is relatively new.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #5

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdude View Post
So far Wholesale Warranties has the best bang for the money. They are offering their Viking Protection plan which is much cheaper than the dealer. Just don't know about the Viking plan reviews since it is their in house product and is relatively new.
I am also up in the air about this. I will say, so far, Wholesale Warranties has the best deal and the best price.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
You probably want to do some research to determine their payout history. Talk to dealers and RV techs, see what their experience has been. The least expensive policy is not necessarily the best.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
When I purchased our used class c I bought the extended warranty and lost money after the few times it was used. Deductible, this is covered but that is not, yada yada. My one year warranty on the Axis has expired and I have much more faith in the Ford chassis than in all of the rest of it. I took the amount wanted by the dealer for the extended warranty, set it aside in a separate account and add a little each month. I am now self insured and expect to come out ahead - just like the companies selling these warranties expect to do. I do have the Good Sam Road Service and Travel Assist but that's all.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
There are plenty of aftermarket choices you can get at the end of the Thor warranty...

My general advice is to defer and see what your first year experience is... Then buy aftermarket if you want...

If you are getting from dealer with purchase - remember that if you include it in your financing, you will pay much more for it... And will likely be paying for it long after it expires.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #9

THOR #7506
Any warranty I purchase will be cash not financed....that's just crazy when you figure what you really paid.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #10

Model: Siesta
THOR #3975
A quick story about extended warranties - this one was on a car, not an RV. I bought a new Honda CRV in 2004 (still driving it - 255k miles). It had a one-year warranty, so I bought an extended warranty from a third party. It used the term "new or used parts." My A/C blew up while my independent Honda repair place was closed for a week, so I took it to the dealer. Dealer said the warranty company said they HAD to use used parts - dealer said "we don't do that." I don't remember if I paid the whole price or just the incremental cost... My independent guy would have handed it differently, I'm sure.

I broke even (or pretty close) on the extended warranty in the long run, I think, counting some other repairs. But the Honda is still going strong!

I'm thinking about an extended warranty on our RV - will check out Wholesale...

Dan
Old 10-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #11

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
Whatever you do, don't go through the dealer. Why pay them a big fee to do what you can do for free in one phone call. We waited until our warranty was just about to expire. It cost us less then half of what our dealer offered us. We used Wholesale Warranty and if you pay cash you get a discount. I think you can also get just a coach warranty, but we went with the whole thing. I'm also not real handy in fixing things, but am slowly learning, but this is nice to have in case I need it.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote