Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2022, 03:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #25530
Thor Freedom Elite backup Camera upgrade

Hi,

I have a 2020 Thor Freedom Elite 22FE.T he backup camera is so bad, it flickers at time and it is so dark all the time. We are also using it as a rear mirror for now when we drive and it is so dark even during a sunny day and not useful at all at night. Does anyone have the same problem I have?

We are thinking of upgrading the head unit (currently install Axxera) and the backup camera and may as well add the side cameras.

I did some researches and saw someone using a video switcher (PAC VS41) to integrate with an after market head unit like Sony, Kenwood etc ...
Please advise or share your experiences.
Thank you very much in advance.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:10 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I have a 2020 Chateau, which most likely has the same setup as yours. First, having the video display down low on the dash forces you to take your eyes off the road to look at it... VERY dangerous... poor design for a rearview camera display.

I bought a relatively inexpensive monitor which I mounted on the useless inside rearview mirror. It plugs into the video out RCA port on back of the Axxera. The display is always on, and provides a nice bright image... not 4k, but good enough.

For side view I simply use the larger outside mirrors.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:12 AM   #3

THOR #25530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I have a 2020 Chateau, which most likely has the same setup as yours. First, having the video display down low on the dash forces you to take your eyes off the road to look at it... VERY dangerous... poor design for a rearview camera display.

I bought a relatively inexpensive monitor which I mounted on the useless inside rearview mirror. It plugs into the video out RCA port on back of the Axxera. The display is always on, and provides a nice bright image... not 4k, but good enough.

For side view I simply use the larger outside mirrors.
Thanks for your reply. Is the added display monitor brighter than the oem axxera monitor? How big is the monitor?
Old 05-03-2022, 01:42 PM   #4

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minh Nguyen View Post
Thanks for your reply. Is the added display monitor brighter than the oem axxera monitor? How big is the monitor?
Lots brighter and clearer. Mine is about 7". Consider also that by being on the mirror it's MUCH closer to you and in a much more "natural" position.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #5

THOR #25530
Quote:
Lots brighter and clearer. Mine is about 7". Consider also that by being on the mirror it's MUCH closer to you and in a much more "natural" position.
Do you mind let know the brand of the monitor that you bought?
Thanks
Old 05-03-2022, 08:59 PM   #6

THOR #25530
Quote:

This link show the head unit diagram of my Axxera unit, can you tell me which video output do you use to mirror the backup camera to the second monitor? Did you just use a regular yellow RCA cable? Thanks

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...6/AVM700Ui.pdf
Old 05-04-2022, 12:40 AM   #7

THOR #16721
This is the Axxera unit I have, and a pic of the monitor mounted on the mirror. I've had the monitor since 2017... I used it when we had our towable. A quick check on Amazon shows it now selling for $40.

Yes I just plugged it into one of the RCA video outs on the back of the unit. For power to the monitor, I pulled 12volts from a switchable wire behind the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220503_230417388.MP.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	37278   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220503_230322435.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	37279  

Old 05-04-2022, 12:49 AM   #8

THOR #25530
Quote:
This is the Axxera unit I have, and a pic of the monitor mounted on the mirror. I've had the monitor since 2017... I used it when we had our towable. A quick check on Amazon shows it now selling for $40.

Yes I just plugged it into one of the RCA video outs on the back of the unit. For power to the monitor, I pulled 12volts from a switchable wire behind the unit.

Thank you for your posts. I will try and will let you know not anytime soon. Will be busy the next couple months helping kids moving out to colleges this this summer. But will definitely try.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:15 AM   #9

THOR #16721
Quote:
Thank you for your posts. I will try and will let you know not anytime soon. Will be busy the next couple months helping kids moving out to colleges this this summer. But will definitely try.
Been there... Hope everything goes well... safe travels!!
Old 05-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #10

THOR #25530
Thanks
Old 05-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #11

Model: Hurican 34P
State: Maryland
THOR #17588
I used the following and mounted it on the left side of my dash. I don’t have a review mirror.
I have pictures in one of my post.
Hope it helps. It was a very easy install. I was able to get to all the wires in the dash access panel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC412Q2...YTATDHD0R6VE94
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #12

THOR #25530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman View Post
I used the following and mounted it on the left side of my dash. I don’t have a review mirror.
I have pictures in one of my post.
Hope it helps. It was a very easy install. I was able to get to all the wires in the dash access panel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC412Q2...YTATDHD0R6VE94
Thanks for sharing. I'll look into getting one and I'll also look into installing side camera to help with bindspots.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:43 PM   #13

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Quote:
Hi,

I have a 2020 Thor Freedom Elite 22FE.T he backup camera is so bad, it flickers at time and it is so dark all the time. We are also using it as a rear mirror for now when we drive and it is so dark even during a sunny day and not useful at all at night. Does anyone have the same problem I have?

We are thinking of upgrading the head unit (currently install Axxera) and the backup camera and may as well add the side cameras.

I did some researches and saw someone using a video switcher (PAC VS41) to integrate with an after market head unit like Sony, Kenwood etc ...
Please advise or share your experiences.
Thank you very much in advance.
Until you decide on a solution, I want to remind you that if for any reason you disconnect the chassis battery, the Axxera will default to factory settings. I agree that the display is not bright enough, but resetting the the display to full brightness does help. I always disconnect the chassis battery when it will sit for 3 or more weeks. There is a significant parasitic draw on the Mercedes Sprinter battery when parked. The Ford or Chevy chassis may be different.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #14

THOR #25530
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbob View Post
Until you decide on a solution, I want to remind you that if for any reason you disconnect the chassis battery, the Axxera will default to factory settings. I agree that the display is not bright enough, but resetting the the display to full brightness does help. I always disconnect the chassis battery when it will sit for 3 or more weeks. There is a significant parasitic draw on the Mercedes Sprinter battery when parked. The Ford or Chevy chassis may be different.
Thanks for your reply. I'll let you know what I'll do have a great day