Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
TPMS or Safety Plus?

Just looking for opinions on which one to purchase first TPMS or Safety Plus. Will be getting both eventually. Leaning towards Safety Plus first. What do y'all think? Thanks

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I went with the safe-t-plus first plus had the dealer install before driving it off the lot. A front blow out is scary and the safe-t-plus is supposed to help thru it but I hope i never find out. TPMS becomes more critical as tires age but that is not to say TPMS is not important. I shopped around and settled on the Eeztire TPMS system. Works great.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
I went with the safe-t-plus first plus had the dealer install before driving it off the lot. A front blow out is scary and the safe-t-plus is supposed to help thru it but I hope i never find out. TPMS becomes more critical as tires age but that is not to say TPMS is not important. I shopped around and settled on the Eeztire TPMS system. Works great.
x2, agree completely with Safety T Plus first!
Old 08-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Well... to give a different opinion... I went with the TPMS first - haven't done the safe-t-plus...

The safe-t-plus is supposed to help you in the event of a front tire blowout... But any blowout on an RV is likely to do damage...

The TPMS is supposed to warn you of an impending blowout on any tire with time to stop (increase in pressure/temperature) - Of course it can't tell you about a road hazard in your path that will take a tire out immediately...

I was also looking to start towing at the time - and only the TPMS will help if something goes wrong with the tires on toad... I expect I wouldn't feel much difference if I lost a tire on the toad until things started smoking from tearing up the rest of the vehicle...

One of those no right/wrong answers... just what is more important in your situation...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
I also think the investment in TPMS would be better than the Safe-T-plus. I would rather prevent an issue with warning than to have to react to an incident. As mentioned, there are no guarantees with either of these choices...
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #6

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Tpms
Old 08-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
From the best I can tell, most owners that have a blowout had no indication from TPMS. It seems that often times there is a catastrophic caused by a tire failure or a road obstacle. We have both on our coach and wouldn't be without either. We have had a low tire pressure warning that caused me to pull over and re-inflate the tire - loose valve stem.

Just our opinion - wouldn't be without either but the steering stabilizer would rank higher.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
TPMS is now mandatory in most new vehicles. Steering stabilizers not so much.

Even though light vehicles aren't exactly the same as MHs, it makes a strong case for what automotive safety experts think.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
TPMS became a big deal over a number of years due to under inflated tires. Owners were not checking tire pressures which had a direct effect on fuel mileage and the govt wanted something done. The old days of full service stations are gone and owners only got pressures checked when they went in for service or had a tire problem. Even with OEM tire pressure monitors many owners pay little attention.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #10

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I vote TPMS. I have both. IMHO I really dont think the STP will help that much in a blow out. It helps tighten steering and helps keep the mh traveling straight down the highway reducing driver fatigue.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We've got a TPMS on our "radar"...
(Gotta start somewhere! )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I vote for tpms as well, I use the Minder Research system. Just saved my bacon again this past weekend. While heading down I-90, left inside dual indicated a slow leak, pressure dropped to 75 psi. I pulled off the next exit and discovered a large screw in the tread. Luckily there was a Les Schwab tire center one exit back. They had me on my way in under an hour.

Was just heading over the mountain pass, without TPMS, I'm almost certain I would have had a much bigger problem on the mountain or just on the other side!

The shredded tire was from another RV, apparently drove a long distance with inside dual flat! $38.00 for repair vs $380.00 for new tire!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4231.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	6591   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4230.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	6592  

Old 08-29-2017, 01:20 AM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
You asked for opinions, mine is TPMS first. It will warn you before most tire problems.

I experienced a front left blowout on a motorhome at freeway speeds, without Safety Plus, and it wasn't as scary as the sales people want you to believe. There are plenty of folks who love their Safety Plus, but so far, I am fine without it. JMHO
Old 08-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
The only thing the TPMS did for me was to verify the explosion I just heard and the bits of tread and plastic flying in my rear view mirror was my tire. I have a TPMS, it sits on a shelf in my garage. Safe-T-Plus gets my vote.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #15

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
TPMS is now mandatory in most new vehicles. Steering stabilizers not so much.

Even though light vehicles aren't exactly the same as MHs, it makes a strong case for what automotive safety experts think.
When talking about TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring systems) for big rigs and RV's one should not confuse the internal sensors that come on new vehicles. An idiot light which comes on the dash is not even close to being the same thing as a true TPMS that most folks purchase and install on their rigs. I have had the same one on 3 different RV's for the past five years.

I can constantly monitor each tires temperature and psi while going down the road or sitting stationary. When breaking camp in the morning there is no question in my mind weather or not an inside dual had a slow leak and went down to 50 psi overnight.

My vote would be to spend the money on a good TPMS first. It will also give you a good understanding of how your tires react while traveling. For example, when driving 65mph in 95 degree temps how might your psi increase for the load you have on....etc.

I have both a Safe T Plus and a TPMS on my Challenger. My TPMS cost about half of what the Safe T Plus cost.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
I also vote TPMS. The way to look at is the way airlines look at it. If I can prevent something by being warned ahead of time I have a good chance of coming out the other side with a positive outcome. I understand that the Safe-t-plus can help after the fact, but a blowout is still a hazard no matter what.
Also, shelving a safety system because it didn't work once is not the answer either. Anything that can keep everyone on board safer, is worth it.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I have TPMS but do not have any aftermarket steering center devices. Does that tell you anything?
Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
You're going to want both but safe-t-plus first (you can check your tires manually and regularly).
Old 09-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #19

State: Arkansas
THOR #7279
Both, the got the TPMS first and the Safety Plus, also went by the factor and they did an adjustment free, additionally if you purchase from them they install it free.