Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2021, 03:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Idaho
THOR #22657
Angry Thor Miramar Furnace Issue

The Thor 24 hour support line...I believe that means it takes them 24 hours to answer....

I called them because a few hours ago, our coach started making a clicking sound. Finally traced it to the furnace under the jack bed. If I turned the furnace on, it starts blowing air, but doesn't light. If I turn it off again, it continues to blow air for a couple minutes, but once the fan shuts off, the clicking returns. It sounds very much like a piezo lighter.

Any ideas what might have caused this and how to stop it? We're south of Rapid City, SD and it was 96 earlier today before a thunderstorm moved in. We closed the slides (forecast was 60 mph winds) and sometime during the rain we first noticed it.

Concerned the furnace will burn out the igniter.

Thor is no help. About ready to try to lemon law this thing after 2 months of ownership...the punch list is over 24 items long...including the glue tape that holds the facia panel on the underneath storage door just aft of the entry released the front edge two weeks ago after we had driven only 1000 miles and bent back the panel, permanently damaging it. Thor has already ordered a replacement but who knows when it will come in.

Old 06-25-2021, 04:26 AM   #2

THOR #22657
Angry Big surprise!

They called back...and hung up when I answered.

I was told by a Doug that I have to go back in the line and they will call again...then he just hung up.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSteve View Post
The Thor 24 hour support line...I believe that means it takes them 24 hours to answer....

I called them because a few hours ago, our coach started making a clicking sound. Finally traced it to the furnace under the jack bed. If I turned the furnace on, it starts blowing air, but doesn't light. If I turn it off again, it continues to blow air for a couple minutes, but once the fan shuts off, the clicking returns. It sounds very much like a piezo lighter.

Any ideas what might have caused this and how to stop it? We're south of Rapid City, SD and it was 96 earlier today before a thunderstorm moved in. We closed the slides (forecast was 60 mph winds) and sometime during the rain we first noticed it.

Concerned the furnace will burn out the igniter.

Thor is no help. About ready to try to lemon law this thing after 2 months of ownership...the punch list is over 24 items long...including the glue tape that holds the facia panel on the underneath storage door just aft of the entry released the front edge two weeks ago after we had driven only 1000 miles and bent back the panel, permanently damaging it. Thor has already ordered a replacement but who knows when it will come in.
And what did the dealer say when you took it in for warranty work and problem verification?
Old 06-25-2021, 06:03 AM   #4

THOR #22657
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
And what did the dealer say when you took it in for warranty work and problem verification?
We are on the road, and it started about 7:00 this evening--so I haven't ecven talked to them yet. Won't be back for a week.

Thor after hours support contractor in Oregon did call back. He said it could be water in the circuit board or it could be the power transfer hardware that is getting a low voltage reading coming in from shore power--he had several calls like that this evening. Couldn't say for sure which it was, but the noise quit about 90 minutes ago.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
.... a few hours ago, our coach started making a clicking sound. Finally traced it to the furnace under the jack bed. If I turned the furnace on, it starts blowing air, but doesn't light. If I turn it off again, it continues to blow air for a couple minutes, but once the fan shuts off, the clicking returns. It sounds very much like a piezo lighter.

Thor after hours support contractor in Oregon did call back. He said it could be water in the circuit board or it could be the power transfer hardware that is getting a low voltage reading coming in from shore power--he had several calls like that this evening. Couldn't say for sure which it was, but the noise quit about 90 minutes ago.
The noise quit after the circuit board dried out. The furnace circuit board got wet. Open the outside furnace door and determine what you can do to mitigate the problem. 4 or 5 years ago there were problems with the vents on the door facing the wrong way and circuit board mounting. You didn't say what year RV you have but I assume you have a newer one?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hang in there do not give up. We had 36 items and all fixed.
A mobile rv tech will fix just email thor and call and they will pay.
I have had emergency authorize a fix on my file and reimbursed
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #7

THOR #22657
Newer..yes...took delivery in April. A long list of issues since, including the Ford Rear Axle recall, but also things that are just poor quality (floor fasteners poking up through the vinyl flooring, panel coming off the wall, installed DVD not playing to the big screen drop away TV...and others. Really unhappy with the Thor product.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Newer..yes...took delivery in April. A long list of issues since, including the Ford Rear Axle recall, but also things that are just poor quality (floor fasteners poking up through the vinyl flooring, panel coming off the wall, installed DVD not playing to the big screen drop away TV...and others. Really unhappy with the Thor product.
Unfortunately...Saddle Up and re-tighten your cinch......Your "Rodeo" with Thor is still in the pre eliminations round....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
it will all get better..at some point everything will work you just need to stay on top of things using this forum..also get ALL fixed now and use independent RV tech and NOT service center
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:24 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Agree. Don’t give up. My rig is nearly 2 years old and it’s only been the last several months that I’ve had no problems through several trips. If you fix the problems then give up you’ll just be setting the next owner up for a wonderful experience. While you start over with a new rig and are again frustrated.