Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #8323
Boondocking

To those that do a lot of boondockng. Do you feel safe when by yourself? Any problems in the past?

Old 10-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Mike View Post
To those that do a lot of boondockng. Do you feel safe when by yourself? Any problems in the past?
We are seniors now...when we were younger we boondocked and were comfortable with no probems...now...we feel there is safety in numbers...
if we boondock, we go with other camping friends....
we, more often, stay in campgrounds at this point in our lives.

following this train of thought...we have found many campers who have
'carry permits'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Being a retired LEO I am probably a little more suspicious of folks, and therefore more cautious. I generally CC and if not always have one handy.

We haven't done a lot of boon docking over the years. I plan ahead and treat it about the same as I do when heading to a CG I have never been to before.

Say for example there is a night coming up where we want to stay in a Walmart on our route someplace. I would first check to make sure they allow RVs and then use Google Earth to check how hard it may or may not be to get my rig into their lot. I would expand my Google Earth search and look at the street views of the surrounding area also.

Next I would check crimereports.com to see what type of crime goes on in that immediate area. Based on what I find on these two different sites I make a decision on staying there.

The main issue that has kept us from boon docking the past couple years has been our generator. I am very uncomfortable using a gas generator for extended periods of time and would never run it overnight while sleeping. Even though I may have an extra CM detector in my coach what if some unsuspecting sleepy traveler pulled in next to me and my running generator in the middle of the night?

If we had a diesel coach/generator I wouldn't worry about it and would do much more boon docking.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
We feel safer boondockng and it's our preferred destination type! Also, I don't really consider campgrounds without hookups as boondocking because those places still have other people nearby and I don't subscribe to the safety in numbers line of thinking.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I've been doing quite a bit of boondocking on this trip. I prefer it when I'm totally alone or if there are a fair number of people around! ( depends on the people of course) What makes me uncomfortable is when there is that one sketchy person around!
I've done quite a bit of solo backpacking in my time and one thing you learn is if someone makes you uncomfortable then it's time to relocate!
Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 AM   #6
vkb

THOR #3510
I agree with all of you ... pretty much ... We all must sort out, ahead of time, where and what we plan to do. My safety in numbers comment, was directly about boon docking. Joe...I like your analysis ...
We prefer, not to stay at WalMarts ...but have done so.
If you scout out the campground, etc. you plan to visit...look at area via Google Maps Satellite view...read reviews...ask FORUM questions.
You must figure out your comfort zone and with what life experience has taught you.
Have fun !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-04-2017, 03:06 AM   #7

State: California
THOR #8323
Thanks for all the replies. One thing I have found interesting on this forum since I joined about 6 months ago is that even though Walmart allows overnight camping, most people don’t like doing it. Hmmm
Old 10-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #8

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
The DW and myself Boondock quite a bit. Safety has never been an issue or even a thought.
Except for Bears, where we Boondock there are bears, wolves and mountain lions so we watch out for them.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. One thing I have found interesting on this forum since I joined about 6 months ago is that even though Walmart allows overnight camping, most people don’t like doing it. Hmmm
Not sure I would say most... In my travels, I've used "Chateau Walmart" many times, as have others here... Along with other locations like Cracker Barrel, or rest areas.

I'm sure there are locations (whether a Walmart or a campground) that one might not feel comfortable - then of course keep driving.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #10

THOR #5246
Quote:
Mike, you are probably correct. I think many that end up using a Walmart may be folks that are limited on time. They are taking their RV across country from point A to B and only have so much time. They can pull into a Walmart lot, go to sleep, then just get up in the morning and take off.

If there is a Bass Pro, or another non-campground alternative I would probably pick it over Walmart everything else being equal. But the alternatives are far and few between and Walmarts are about on every corner.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
For us, the more nights we spend without any issues whatsoever, the safer we feel. Obviously that doesn't make boondocking safer -- we just "feel" safer.

Regarding staying in crowded versus isolated areas, we have mixed feelings about that. I "expect" it is more likely to run into an issue if there are more people around (for various reasons), but at same time the potential consequences of being too isolated appear much worse if there was a serious problem. For this reason we feel safer in numbers.

As an example, we often park overnight in rest areas to sleep where there are dozens of cars parked, but won't stay overnight in isolated picnic areas off same Interstate where there may only be an 18-wheeler or two.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
I've stated this before but would like to share again. When traveling with our little girl we feel pretty safe just about anywhere.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	7248
Old 10-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #13

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
boondocking in a national forest is very different from boondocking in a walmart parking lot

I've done only a couple nights in a national forest..... but would rather do it always.
Many nights under our belt at walmarts and similar

I'm very selective about eyeballing the place before I park, stay out of teh bad neighborhoods and such
& I most certainly do not relax well

I found on our recent long summer trip that after about two nights in a row I need a night in a campground or someplace where i can sleep a bit better.

That being said, so far have not had any problems at all.....
Old 10-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Prefer to camp in the Puckerbrush as opposed to a campground.
Have had an instance or two that I have had to deter a "problem child" intent on doing our selves or our equipment harm..
I Do Not carry a firearm as there are too many conflicting laws state to state, but that does not mean we cannot defend ourselves if the need arises.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #15
vkb

THOR #3510
Just a side story ... One instance, when we stayed at a Walmart ... usually, when we are running late and had not planned ahead...we stopped at Walmart right off the freeway...Chattanooga...July 3 ... a 24 hour Walmart and the place was crazy busy all night long ! No complaint .. just an example of what can happen if a person does not plan ahead !!

We just like Elec.....when it is 95 degrees at 10pm...it is nice to have a/c and we don't like to run the generator unless absolutely necessary.
We think, if Walmart would put up Elec. posts with a credit card reader attached, so a camper could hookup to Elec. if needed, they could fill a much needed void.

that's my story !!! happy camping !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Just a side story ... One instance, when we stayed at a Walmart ... usually, when we are running late and had not planned ahead...we stopped at Walmart right off the freeway...Chattanooga...July 3 ... a 24 hour Walmart and the place was crazy busy all night long ! No complaint .. just an example of what can happen if a person does not plan ahead !!

We just like Elec.....when it is 95 degrees at 10pm...it is nice to have a/c and we don't like to run the generator unless absolutely necessary.
We think, if Walmart would put up Elec. posts with a credit card reader attached, so a camper could hookup to Elec. if needed, they could fill a much needed void.

that's my story !!! happy camping !!
Great idea for the electrical posts. Problem is, they would probably be blocked by people not using them if they are "desirable spots".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:29 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
One of our most uncomfortable nights was actually "IN" a campground. Had we not been so tired we would have pulled back out and moved on in the night! We've spent many nights boondocking and our biggest fear has been bears at night and mountain lions when out walking the dog in the morning.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:55 AM   #18
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Great idea for the electrical posts. Problem is, they would probably be blocked by people not using them if they are "desirable spots".
Ya...you are probably, correct !! We were thinking .. waaaay out in the most remote area...where no shopper would want to park anyway !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-05-2017, 01:37 AM   #19

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno1950 View Post
I've stated this before but would like to share again. When traveling with our little girl we feel pretty safe just about anywhere.Attachment 7248
That is a fine looking "little girl". Probably about the best deterrent there could be! She can smell stuff before you can, obviously can hear much better than anyone else in the RV, and is the absolute best door bell when someone knocks at night.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Ya...you are probably, correct !! We were thinking .. waaaay out in the most remote area...where no shopper would want to park anyway !!
For EV drivers there is such a thing as being "ICEd out": Its when someone with a gas engine parks in an EV spot with chargers (ICE = Internal Combustion Engine). EV spots with chargers, however, are usually right up front near the store (typically right next to the handicapped spots).

Putting power posts out in the boonies would be a better solution (I'd bet you'd get the occasional trucker there making use of them as well).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote