Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2023, 03:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #25027
Thor Omni XG32 slide out

A couple of months ago one bottom corner of the big slide did not completely extend ore retract anymore. It is the corner where the fridge sits. We tried a few times going in and out but the corner kept sticking out about 1.5 inches. We had 2 shops look at it who are not dealerships but it has just gotten worse. The last shop thinks that one of the rollers collapsed and might have pushed into the floor of the slide. So, I already have an appointment at the end of November to have the Vroom system installed. Judge wrote a lot about this on this forum and I can't wait. In the meantime we do want the use the motorhome though. It's just a bit tight in there. Right now that corner is sticking out about 3 inches, the top corner about 2 inches and the bottom corner on the other side about 1 inch. It has gotten worse while the shops were trying to get the slide out to try and repair it.

Now my husband is worried that the slide could suddenly come out while we are driving.

Any idea if that is even a possibility?

Thank you!

Old 05-18-2023, 04:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiastein510 View Post
A couple of months ago one bottom corner of the big slide did not completely extend ore retract anymore. It is the corner where the fridge sits. We tried a few times going in and out but the corner kept sticking out about 1.5 inches. We had 2 shops look at it who are not dealerships but it has just gotten worse. The last shop thinks that one of the rollers collapsed and might have pushed into the floor of the slide. So, I already have an appointment at the end of November to have the Vroom system installed. Judge wrote a lot about this on this forum and I can't wait. In the meantime we do want the use the motorhome though. It's just a bit tight in there. Right now that corner is sticking out about 3 inches, the top corner about 2 inches and the bottom corner on the other side about 1 inch. It has gotten worse while the shops were trying to get the slide out to try and repair it.

Now my husband is worried that the slide could suddenly come out while we are driving.

Any idea if that is even a possibility?

Thank you!
Not if you install a slide lock.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:15 PM   #3

THOR #25027
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Not if you install a slide lock.
Somebody told him the trim could pop off with a slide lock because these slides are not meant to use one. But of course that's still better than the slide coming out!!
Old 05-18-2023, 06:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The trim is not what holds the slide in. There should be metal brackets that serve that purpose and the brackets are where the slide locks should be positioned when used. Out Challenger had two brackets ( one high and one low ) on each side of every slide.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:39 PM   #5

THOR #25027
Ok. Thank you! We will look for that.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:04 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
As long as the slide motor is installed and engaged, there is no way that 500:1 motor is going to be able to move without power. However, if the setscrew is bent or sheared off, then the motor could be loose and able to lift out of the bearing block and allow the slide to move.

I used slide locks before the Vroom system was installed. They do fit between the trim and the walls. The trim is bolted to the slide box but I never trust any Thor screws / bolts because many times they were over-tightened and stripped or they are undersized for the job.

I would use the slide locks as peace of mind but if the slide is able to move freely, I would be driving very carefully and slowing down a lot when making turns and going around bends to reduce the forces on the slide.

These are the slide locks I used in the past.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally..... have you tried syncing the motors? If you aren't getting any Encoder error codes on the Controller, you should resync the motors and that should allow both ends of the slide to close evenly. The slide motors can get out of sync at times.... especially if you are not holding the Extend / Retract button for 2 - 3 seconds after fully opening and fully closing the slide.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Try the procedure posted above.
I hold the button 5 seconds after open close.
So far no issues in 3 years 25k miles
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Try the procedure posted above.
I hold the button 5 seconds after open close.
So far no issues in 3 years 25k miles
The OP has a heavy full wall slide. Those are the slides that don’t seem to like the Schwintek system. I’m surprised a reputable tech couldn’t figure out how to get it back in.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:56 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
The OP has a heavy full wall slide. Those are the slides that don’t seem to like the Schwintek system. I’m surprised a reputable tech couldn’t figure out how to get it back in.
Oh OK. Got it. Thanks
Yes he needs a local tech.
Found mine with yelp reviews.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:38 PM   #10

THOR #25027
Thank you everybody!

We are thinking the roller under the fridge collapsed. That corner will not move at all. The independent guys don't have the equipment to take the slide completely out. The dealerships here in AZ will keep your rig for 3 to 4 months and maybe fix it.

The problem started after we hit a curb with the dually tires on the passenger side. Tight turn with lots of traffic. The slide misaligned more top to bottom then side to side. We tried the maneuver of resetting the controller and moving it in and out a few times but it made horrible noises and didn't help. After that the bottom corner did not move at all anymore.

I am trying to attach some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome slide inside.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	42008   Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome slide outside.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	42009  

Old 05-19-2023, 03:53 PM   #11
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
If you are worried about your slide moving and it only moves on one side, put one slide lock on the end that moves. I don't think that that slide move out, because even the motors cannot get it to.

We had our big slide rebuilt twice. Once when COVID hit and early this year. The dealer did nothing to the rollers and I think that is why it failed after a year and a half. My independent RV repair place installed all new Schwintek and has access to and installed heavy duty rollers. So far it operates quietly. The owner stated he has learned that it the rollers that start to go south. The OEM rollers are marginal for the weight that is on them. He does not want it back for parts failure.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:59 PM   #12

THOR #25027
That makes sense. The Vroom system will be so much more sturdy and has steel / metal rollers as well.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:00 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
The XG32 does not have a full-wall slide. Only the other Omni / Magnitudes do.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:03 PM   #14

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thank you everybody!

We are thinking the roller under the fridge collapsed. That corner will not move at all. The independent guys don't have the equipment to take the slide completely out. The dealerships here in AZ will keep your rig for 3 to 4 months and maybe fix it.

The problem started after we hit a curb with the dually tires on the passenger side. Tight turn with lots of traffic. The slide misaligned more top to bottom then side to side. We tried the maneuver of resetting the controller and moving it in and out a few times but it made horrible noises and didn't help. After that the bottom corner did not move at all anymore.

I am trying to attach some pictures.
When I took my coach back to Vroom for a check-up a year later, they found I had a collapsed roller. They said they have seen several of the Thor coaches with this problem.

When they showed me the roller, it was easy to see how the heavy weight of any slide could cause the roller to come apart. Instead of using a roller with a pin or hinge across the length of the roller, Thor used a roller that had tabs on the end to make a pivot point. With enough weight or bouncing around, the metal could spread apart and cause the roller to collapse.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:27 PM   #15

THOR #25027
I think that's exactly what happened. The bounce damaged the roller and when we tried to align the slide it probably completely collapsed.
Old 05-20-2023, 02:04 AM   #16

THOR #17765
How big a job is it to replace a roller? Can it be done without removing the slide?
Old 05-20-2023, 03:35 AM   #17

THOR #25027
Apparently the slide needs to be removed completely. I couldn't find an independent outfit that would do it here in Phoenix. They all say "now you have to take it to a dealership". The dealerships will keep it 3 months or more and by then it is almost time to drop it off for the new system we are having installed in November.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:42 AM   #18

THOR #12751
Quote:
Apparently the slide needs to be removed completely. I couldn't find an independent outfit that would do it here in Phoenix. They all say "now you have to take it to a dealership". The dealerships will keep it 3 months or more and by then it is almost time to drop it off for the new system we are having installed in November.

Vroom was able to replace my roller without removing the slide. Now which roller may make a big difference of how accessible it is. It wasn't an easy job. They were only supposed to have it for a couple hours and they had it all day once they found the collapsed roller.

This is the type of roller they should have used. Some people on here said they have this type on their coach where other ones like my Magnitude had the cheap rollers that don't have a bolt through the roller and the metal can spread apart and allow the roller to fall out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 7.06.46 AM.png
Views:	27
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	42022  
Old 05-20-2023, 03:51 PM   #19

THOR #25027
I e-mailed with Vroom about all this and they can fix it all when we bring the motorhome to them in November. We have 5 or 6 long weekend trips left over the summer and are mostly outside anyway. It will really make us appreciate the space the slide provides when we get it back.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:45 PM   #20

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Vroom was able to replace my roller without removing the slide. Now which roller may make a big difference of how accessible it is. It wasn't an easy job. They were only supposed to have it for a couple hours and they had it all day once they found the collapsed roller.

This is the type of roller they should have used. Some people on here said they have this type on their coach where other ones like my Magnitude had the cheap rollers that don't have a bolt through the roller and the metal can spread apart and allow the roller to fall out.
Any idea if this HD roller can be purchased on the aftermarket sites.

Tags
omni, slide problems