Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #7243
Thor Palazzo 33.3 vs Thor ACE 30.2

We are about to make our first RV purchase and we are torn between the Palazzo and the ACE. There's a significant price difference but if it's worth it, we are fine with that. Pros and cons between the two???

Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

THOR #6519
I really was considering the palazzo until I read all the horror story reviews on the wall slide systems. Made me pull back from purchasing all together and I still have my 5er.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

THOR #7243
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbomar View Post
I really was considering the palazzo until I read all the horror story reviews on the wall slide systems. Made me pull back from purchasing all together and I still have my 5er.
Have their been issues on the newer models too?? Everything I've seen has been a few years old.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

THOR #6519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
Have their been issues on the newer models too?? Everything I've seen has been a few years old.

I couldn't find any differentiating information showing it had been corrected. I didn't want to take the risk with a $150k purchase and have issues. My 3 year old 5er has 0 problems. My wife just wanted to be able to ride in the camper for convenience. If we have problems the convenience factor is gone...
Old 04-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
they both have bunkbeds, then they are completely different

ACE is the entry level gas coach on the ford F53 chassis

Palazzo is the entry level diesel pusher.

More logical upward steps would be the Hurricane/Windsport and then the Miramar for gas class A choices, each adding 10-20k in cost, depending on floorplan.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the Diesel 300hp 6.7ISB engine will be the biggest and most important difference, though length, 2000w Inverter, 4 hours batteries, residential fridge, etc... could also be important to you as well...

we love ours, yes, they all have a few issues, but nothing major...
(my wife talked me into ours! we were in TX waiting for our Challenger to arrive when she walked thru this thing!)... the diesel alone will keep me from ever going back to a gas unit, which we previously owned, as well as a fifth-wheel we also owned... : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #11046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
the Diesel 300hp 6.7ISB engine will be the biggest and most important difference, though length, 2000w Inverter, 4 hours batteries, residential fridge, etc... could also be important to you as well...

we love ours, yes, they all have a few issues, but nothing major...
(my wife talked me into ours! we were in TX waiting for our Challenger to arrive when she walked thru this thing!)... the diesel alone will keep me from ever going back to a gas unit, which we previously owned, as well as a fifth-wheel we also owned... : )
Does the 300hp diesel seem to have plenty of power for tackling large hills? Also will it cruise at 65-70 with power to spare?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
certainly - remember, it's not always just 'hp', but 660ftlb of torque that get you 'up' the mountains - in 80,000+ miles all over this country, Alaska, and most of Canada - including the Rockies and all other 'mountains'... we've never had an issue. You will pass full semi trucks going up, you'll be passed by empty trucks going up, and you'll let the Exhaust Brake bring you down the other side.... we LIVE in the mountains, we know!

Some folks balk when they see '300hp', but remember also that our 33.3 weighs slightly less than 26,000lbs full loaded - and tows our Focus effortlessly. Some longer coaches weight TWICE as much, and therefore need more hp, of course. Believe me, if you have any concern over hp, I'll race you're new 'Ace' up the mountain, and be down the other side before you reach the top!

Once you've gone to a diesel pusher, you'll understand.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
We are about to make our first RV purchase and we are torn between the Palazzo and the ACE. There's a significant price difference but if it's worth it, we are fine with that. Pros and cons between the two???
Which one do YOU like the best?
That's the only important question!
Happy Shopping!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #10

State: Indiana
THOR #11046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
certainly - remember, it's not always just 'hp', but 660ftlb of torque that get you 'up' the mountains - in 80,000+ miles all over this country, Alaska, and most of Canada - including the Rockies and all other 'mountains'... we've never had an issue. You will pass full semi trucks going up, you'll be passed by empty trucks going up, and you'll let the Exhaust Brake bring you down the other side.... we LIVE in the mountains, we know!

Some folks balk when they see '300hp', but remember also that our 33.3 weighs slightly less than 26,000lbs full loaded - and tows our Focus effortlessly. Some longer coaches weight TWICE as much, and therefore need more hp, of course. Believe me, if you have any concern over hp, I'll race you're new 'Ace' up the mountain, and be down the other side before you reach the top!

Once you've gone to a diesel pusher, you'll understand.
Understand, that’s what I wanted to hear, real world experience is the best! I would just be towing a 7x14 enclosed that would only weight about 4000lbs