Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation SR Sprinter
State: Iowa
THOR #7596
Like my Thor Citation very much. No issues. Would buy again if needed another RV. Perfect floor plan and MB chassis drives great. No problem with Thor dealer. Thor and dealer both have contacted me several times to make sure all was ok.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #22
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Seems to be another 1 post wonder, log in, bash the product & has left the building!
I have seen that a lot on forums. They come on here just to bash a product and that's their only post. Funny you never hear them come on A forum and have a productive conversation on how they may help other members. There is always two sides to a story and we never hear the other side. I guess I am not happy so I don't want anyone else to be happy.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #8920
I noticed that also when lurking in here. Seems like they are new to RVing and did not expect things to be the way they are. I'm buying my first RV soon too and I been doing alot of research and reading. especially from this forum so I'm expecting to fix things and have things go wrong.. I guess that just part of the adventure of RVing.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #24

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
We Love Thor - So Far...

Purchased 2014 Windsport 34F in Feb 17. We have put 4000 miles on RV and been several fun places. We have not experienced any problems, but seems like I am doing preventive maintenance all the time. But, I enjoy doing the PM. I learn from this forum and Youtube, what and how to do the PM. Yesterday I changed the engine oil/filter and the generator oil/filer.

Now, my dear friends purchased a New 2018 29.3 in May. It has been in the shop, had to replace the refrigerator. My friends don't really do there own PM. This will mean that their RV will be in the shop for long periods and this will cause them some frustration.

Oh, did I mention that my 2014 RV had 60,000 miles on it when I purchased it. The previous owners kept the RV in great shape. New batteries and tires in 2016 and several other things have been changed.

Hopefully, my RV has went through the break-in period.

I believe that my dear friends expected a RV purchase to be like a new car purchase, where you drive it for the first 5 years before anything goes wrong. Also, if something does go wrong during the warranty period everybody stops what they are doing in the shop and fixes the problem immediately. My friends are fully retired now and I hope I can get them to start working on their RV.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Out of curiosity, is there anything in Thor's warranty about only covering roof leaks for 90 days?

Yes, I think that was in my Freedom Elite warranty material. I believe they consider sealants to be "maintenance items" and therefore our responsibility. FWIW, and especially for newcomers here, I recommend that you take this to heart. Many years ago when I bought my first (used) RV I did not realize that roof inspection and maintenance was "a thing". Inside of my first year I had significant water intrusion and mold. Very bad. To be sure, it was a well used machine and likely already had issues but I didn't know to check so I take full responsibility. I'd say at least 2 or 3 times a year you (or a good service tech) should physically go up on the roof and "walk" the whole thing (on your hands and knees!). First wash it, then, after it dries, go again with the correct self leveling sealant in hand (NOT silicone) and address any suspicious spots. Dealers don't often explain this responsibility to first time buyers.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #26

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
thor junk

As you can see on this forum, senior members reside themselves to buy the thor junk and fix it. Bad altitude. The same problem the U.S. Automakers had back in the 80's. The Japanese auto makers kicked their ass, and only then did they change.

DONT BUY THOR GARBAGE
Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Thor is not the best and not the worst, we have been very happy with our Vegas.
What I find with Thor is they have some very sharp designers but they tend to use less expensive products and materials in their coaches.

My biggest issue with Thor has been the difficulty in obtaining reference materials such as wiring diagrams , fuse locations and such.

I still feel that I have gotten a good value for what I paid and the problems that I have had have been minor in nature.
I think quite a few people can give you examples of very questionable designs in Thor products, putting the generator up front by the engine's heat is a good example.

I am sure they use the exact same quality products and materials as any other RV manufacturer, but their assemblers and QC supervisors leave much to be desired.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:41 PM   #28

THOR #6826
I'm about done with this thread...not going to change anybody's opinion. But Comparing RVs to cars is not especially valid. Autos are a highly competitive, world-wide market while RVs are part of a tiny specialty/luxury market. There will never be the kind of competition that will drive auto industry-like progress.

You can cut your grass with an MTD or a Troy-Bilt but no amount of hoping or complaining is going to turn it into a John Deere!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #29

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:29 AM   #30

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I'm about done with this thread...not going to change anybody's opinion. But Comparing RVs to cars is not especially valid. Autos are a highly competitive, world-wide market while RVs are part of a tiny specialty/luxury market. There will never be the kind of competition that will drive auto industry-like progress.

You can cut your grass with an MTD or a Troy-Bilt but no amount of hoping or complaining is going to turn it into a John Deere!
is there away to block/ hide a thread

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 AM   #31
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Hmm... Not quite the John Deere in my garage.... Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6802fab5dd6852a194338f6a2f7c87f4--hotrods-rat-rod.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	7182  
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:07 AM   #32
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
As you can see on this forum, senior members reside themselves to buy the thor junk and fix it. Bad altitude. The same problem the U.S. Automakers had back in the 80's. The Japanese auto makers kicked their ass, and only then did they change.

DONT BUY THOR GARBAGE
Like anybody is going to listen to you and not buy a Thor product on your say so.
LOL.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:10 AM   #33
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:

You are correct cars also don't have refrigerators, stoves, bathrooms, levelers, holding tanks etc. Makes it a little tough to compare.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:24 AM   #34

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I think quite a few people can give you examples of very questionable designs in Thor products, putting the generator up front by the engine's heat is a good example.

I am sure they use the exact same quality products and materials as any other RV manufacturer, but their assemblers and QC supervisors leave much to be desired.
My genset is up by the V-10 engine and it has never failed to run even in the July and August Texas heat, some times 10 hours a day. A couple times it has run all night when we are out in the boonies or the campground lost power. I have just over 600 hours on the genset.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:02 AM   #35

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Hmm... Not quite the John Deere in my garage.... Lol

Cool! Love the toys!!
Old 09-29-2017, 02:04 AM   #36
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
My genset is up by the V-10 engine and it has never failed to run even in the July and August Texas heat, some times 10 hours a day. A couple times it has run all night when we are out in the boonies or the campground lost power. I have just over 600 hours on the genset.
The problem appears to be when running down the highway in 95+ degree heat. You might have seen some threads on this forum about it. There is a saga thread on IRV2 about it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #37

State: Arizona
THOR #8280
You do realize THOR stands for Thousand Hours Of Repairs. I bought a 2017 Synergy and it has been awful. Especially bad is the on demand water heater which has never worked properly.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #38

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
I guess than mine would stand for Thousand Hours Of Reliability only in shop every 6 months for routine maintenance 14K miles and no major issues, only a handful of minor ones very easily fixed myself.

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #39

State: Arizona
THOR #8280
I have often thought that there must be, at least, one such customer out there. Thanks. And consider yourself lucky.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #40

Model: Citation SR Sprinter
State: Iowa
THOR #7596
Make that two happy Thor owners. 12,000 miles and no issues. 2017 MB Citation. 😄😄