Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #8156
Thor Quantum 2018 issues and resolutions

Let me start out up front by saying I totally love my new Thor Quantum. This is my 4th RV refining what I really wanted and what works. Ok. Issues gray water exit hangs too low. I saw it with my check out but against my better judgement accepted the rig anyway when I was told it met standards. Second trip out it dragged and I cracked it going slowly up a commercial driveway. Also, the wiring for the pullout was vulnerable to damage as it drug under the slide out carpet. These were design defects. My dealership communicated with Thor and fixed both of these issues and Thor covered the fixes. Repiped gray tubing to hang higher with reangled connectors. All handled well.
Also, just a big FYI, if the total power to your cabin is turned off your cab radio, turn and backing cameras on your truck portion won’t work. If driving keep your cabin power on. Not sure why they wired it that way but once you know that it isn’t an issue.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that you're really diggin' number four!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Keep enjoying your ride. Glad to hear issues were taken care of without delay or haggling.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
We purchased a new 2017 Quantum in March this year, and we also love it. We had some issues at first, but between Thor and the dealer, they have been addressed with just a couple of items remaining. We especially like the floor plan - the creative use of space. And the long slideout - really opens up the interior. We pull a Jeep Wrangler, and the Ford E450 handles it well. Great unit. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

Model: Quantum
State: New York
THOR #9642
We too bought a 2017 Quantum 31WS in Oct. Got a Great left over deal. Did not get a chance to camp in it yet. Did transfer all our stuff from our 2005 Minni. Had a list of things to fix when we took it back to store for the winter.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots and wings View Post
Also, just a big FYI, if the total power to your cabin is turned off your cab radio, turn and backing cameras on your truck portion won’t work. If driving keep your cabin power on. Not sure why they wired it that way but once you know that it isn’t an issue.
My Thor ACE is that way. As it's still new to me, pretty much every time I hit the road, if it's be stored, I'm rolling before I remember the use/store switch. I've been parking it in a place where I park head in and then back out, so that's typically where I discover it and then have to go switch to use to get my backup camera working.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

THOR #6671
Little Quirks

We discovered another little quirk about the wiring in the Quantum. Yes, we figured out you have to leave the interior system "on" to have the radio et al. We have an 1800 watt inverter and assumed it would be adequate to power a small Crockpot that we set inside one of the sink caveties while driving - it cooks a meal while driving, so when we arrive, just relax with a drink and have dinner whenever. Nice idea. However, the inverter apparently only powers the residential refrigerator and the TV in the living area. The other outlets are dead with just the inverter. Apart from running an extension cord to the TV outlet, it seems the only other way to power the Crockpot is to run the generator while driving .... wasting fuel in the process. Would welcome any thoughts others may have.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:19 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
We discovered another little quirk about the wiring in the Quantum. Yes, we figured out you have to leave the interior system "on" to have the radio et al. We have an 1800 watt inverter and assumed it would be adequate to power a small Crockpot that we set inside one of the sink caveties while driving - it cooks a meal while driving, so when we arrive, just relax with a drink and have dinner whenever. Nice idea. However, the inverter apparently only powers the residential refrigerator and the TV in the living area. The other outlets are dead with just the inverter. Apart from running an extension cord to the TV outlet, it seems the only other way to power the Crockpot is to run the generator while driving .... wasting fuel in the process. Would welcome any thoughts others may have.
DLM, it seems the appliances your inverter runs varies according to which installers wired your coach. Mine runs the fridge and the bedroom TV, and the microwave. The main TV in the living area does not run off the inverter. At least we can keep the fridge cold without running the generator while we travel down the road. We figured out how the inverter works just before our last trip so it was the first time we had used it. Not running the generator to keep the fridge working made the trip quieter and cheaper (better gas mileage). It still amazes me that two people can have the same model, floor plan, etc., and be wired totally differently.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:56 AM   #9

THOR #6671
Yes, it is interesting how they are handled differently. We had a different issue with the water pressure when connected to city supply - a virtual dribble compared to the more robust flow with the potable tank and internal pump. After pursuing the dealer techs and talking with a Thor tech, people were left scratching their collective head. Until I encountered a different tech at the dealership who immediately surmised that the water hose inside the coach connecting the city service to the main system was likely crimped due to the slideout action. Sure enough, they probed inside and found that section of line crimped. They replaced and rerouted it. Other identical coaches I've encountered had no similar problem. Crazy.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:04 AM   #10

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: North Carolina
THOR #9452
NAH NAH!!!! We had ours first!! Bought ours in February at the Raleigh RV show. First trip was two weeks later and woke up at Jordan Lake with snow on the ground. Only real problem to me has been that one of the lights in the overhang had a tab broken. A whole hour at the dealer to get that one fixed. I'm not sure about the gray drain. My dumps are within the compartment and the deck port will screw in place, but I have put a clear 45 on it as the connection was so close to that port that it was hard to lock in the connection from top or bottom. We have shop time scheduled for the last week in February at the FSC. One issue is the galvalume flashing underneath not being bent (broke) properly and sealing properly. The power inverter is another issue. Ours only works the fridge and front TV. I haven't tried the back one. Kelly remote works and this means that we have to run the generator while moving. In my emailing with the svc ctr, I think that I want them to install another inverter, but what I am wanting is to add the dinette and pop up on cabinet to the 1800. It should be well able to handle the fridge (when cycling), docking station with two monitors, and crock pot. If another inverter is needed for this, I will add one and put it under the dinette bench.
As far as mods, not really a lot, but I did change the flexible plastic water lines under the kitchen sink to 6 inch longer stainless flexible lines.
The biggest one I want is the 5 Star tune.

PS: Mine came with the cabinets in the overhang rather than the bunk. We love it!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:09 AM   #11

THOR #9452
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
Yes, it is interesting how they are handled differently. We had a different issue with the water pressure when connected to city supply - a virtual dribble compared to the more robust flow with the potable tank and internal pump. After pursuing the dealer techs and talking with a Thor tech, people were left scratching their collective head. Until I encountered a different tech at the dealership who immediately surmised that the water hose inside the coach connecting the city service to the main system was likely crimped due to the slideout action. Sure enough, they probed inside and found that section of line crimped. They replaced and rerouted it. Other identical coaches I've encountered had no similar problem. Crazy.
Ours did a little until I put in the stainless lines. It probably just depended on being routed either in front of or behind something. Also, I had to reroute the hose for the kitchen sink and move the weight to keep it from crimping.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:45 AM   #12

THOR #6671
Like the idea of stainless lines ... appreciate that tip. An issue under the sink counter is the heat from the furnace when running .... so hot that I could barely hold onto the plastic lines for any length of time. That can't be good. The dealership installed a barrier to try and prevent the heat buildup from pouring out into the coach through the door housing the waste container, but I still wonder about the insulation of the furnace itself. Stainless tubing would at least be better than the plastic. Just have to wonder who designs/engineers some of these systems ...
Old 11-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #13

THOR #9452
I just open a cabinet and don't put anything susceptible to heat in there. Also pull the bottom drawer and false panel and make sure that your hot air hoses are secure (if you haven't). There is some insulation that some are using between the motor and doghouse, but I don't think it will make much of a difference during sustained periods without an external air flow. I just make the best of it when I really need to.