Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1454
Thor Repair Manual

Since every Thor product ever built seems to be loaded with problems, how do I get a "repair manual"? My 2015 Miramar didn't even come with a specific owners manual. I got a Thor Daybreak/Challenger/Outlaw manual. Some of the pictures in that manual do not even resemble what I'm looking at in the RV.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaj View Post
Since every Thor product ever built seems to be loaded with problems, how do I get a "repair manual"? My 2015 Miramar didn't even come with a specific owners manual. I got a Thor Daybreak/Challenger/Outlaw manual. Some of the pictures in that manual do not even resemble what I'm looking at in the RV.
You're kidding, right?

My owners manual, is so generic as to be useless. After much effort, I was able to get some schematic drawings, but they aren't very much use either.

It seems that the best approach, is to become familiar with your systems through reverse engineering. Many of the components, such as fridges and such, will have manuals and info available through their OEM. Much of this was provided by Thor.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #3

THOR #1454
And the hits just keep on coming. Thanks, blw2.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
This is just not a Thor deal it goes all the way through the RV industry
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #5

THOR #1454
Then how do the RV repairmen at the repair centers work on RV's? They have to be out there somewhere. Are the RV manufacturers conspiring to keep all repair work in designated shops?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
No they have manuals for the AC Refrigerators ovens furnaces ect. but all of the unit are pretty much generic. You can go on line and get the manuals for all of the Options that are made else where
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

Model: Miramar
State: Kentucky
THOR #1533
Thor Repair Manual

I have a 2014 Miramar and received the Daybreak/Challenger/Outlaw manual along with the Class C/A.C.E./Hurricane/Windsport manual. Seems that you were one short worthless manual. When I called Thor they told me that their wasn't a Miramar stand alone manual. Like everyone is telling you....each component has it's own manual, the rest is "do this, do that...if that don't work try again. That's what I do. This forum is great though if you need help. Happy camping!!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
And the hits just keep on coming. Thanks, blw2.
sorry sandjal, didn't mean that as a hit. More of a light hearted thing.....
Old 03-01-2015, 12:23 AM   #9

Model: Miramar
State: Kentucky
THOR #1533
I didn't mean to offend either. Not a hit on you folks, its just that we are just as frustrated as you are. I agree with you "why doesn't Miramar have their own manual?" Please accept my apology. And believe me if you have a question concerning your coach ask it in here, lot's of smart minds in this forum. I have learned a lot in here. Happy motoring!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
RVs (even boats) are generally an assembly of 3rd party items. Generally the manufacturer only makes the superstucture (walls and roof), upholstery, wiring harness, cabinetry, window surrounds, and a few other items.

Just about everything else installed in the RV is made by someone else as a commercial end-product, and fortunately, most of those do have shop manuals.

In that respect, they are kind of like a house.

As said, this is a recreational industry characteristic - for both RVs and Boats, and not specific to Thor.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
RVs (even boats) are generally an assembly of 3rd party items. Generally the manufacturer only makes the superstucture (walls and roof), upholstery, wiring harness, cabinetry, window surrounds, and a few other items.

Just about everything else installed in the RV is made by someone else as a commercial end-product, and fortunately, most of those do have shop manuals.

In that respect, they are kind of like a house.

As said, this is a recreational industry characteristic - for both RVs and Boats, and not specific to Thor.
Can't agree more!!! I really like the example about the house!!!

Have had a few RV's, different brands, the manuals for the "house" were all generic. However, with the coach, a good owners manual was provided for the Ford chassis.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Sandaj

My 2015 Challenger came the same way. The biggest issue I had was with the water termination panel (Anderson Kantleak) since there were no instructions on how to use the system to fill the fresh water tank or sanitize the fresh water system. The owners manual only mentions a generic system or one using only one termination valve.

I contacted Anderson Brass and they sent me the correct operating instructions which I have posted on another thread on this forum. I learned quite a bit from the Anderson document.

Basically it boils down to determine the need, do the web research and then assemble a manual that fits your needs or curiosity. I found that the forums are a great resource in this endeavor.

As a note, my previous Forest River coach was the same except they had all documentation laying loose whereas Thor at least provided a black cloth bag for documentation storage.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
....My 2015 Miramar didn't even come with a specific owners manual. I got a Thor Daybreak/Challenger/Outlaw manual. Some of the pictures in that manual do not even resemble what I'm looking at in the RV.
The Thor I have now is my third motorhome, and my 5th RV. Just so that you don't feel completely left out, Fleetwood and Winnebago motorhome user manuals are also generic. As well as Jayco for their 5er products.

They all focus on a general description of the systems, and primarily serve to remind you to faithfully return to the dealer for regular maintenance. None of the RV user manuals I have ever received had any pictures that exactly represented the systems in my particular RV.

RV's are NOT like automobiles, planes, trains, and boats. The design is not rigid for any particular model year. You will always see changes to layouts, features, and materials during the model year. As a result, if you have ever seen schematics used in the RV industry they generally look like they were drawn on a napkin during the morning break.

Most RV technicians repairing even very high-end motorhomes do not rely on schematics to fix plumbing, electrical, or any other system. They simply use their experience, (and readily available diagnostic tools).
Old 03-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #1226
The Hurricane manual reads like a brochure not a manual. Our Jayco manual went to great detail about all the items in our Class C. My Hurricane manual covers Class B+, Class C, and Class A gas. At least they left out Trailers and Diesel Class A.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #15

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I agree with all in that the manuals are garbage. Imagine if they paid someone to actually sit down and design a unit specific manual that was actually useful!? Would not be that difficult or take much time. Be able to cut and paste one in a few days - and the customer satisfaction scores would go through the roof!

Thor, are you listening!?!?!?!?
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #16

THOR #1579
My 2014 Thor Miramar 34.2 came with a black canvas bag full of garbage. The Onan generator installation and operating manual was for a DIESEL. No manual for the battery monitor feature. No manual for operating the slide out and optional bed over the front. Generic RV manual for many different Thor models.

Have had luck on the web finding the correct manuals. Also talking to the tech guys at Thor.

BTW- Thor tech recommended pushing and holding the button down for the slide out
during extension or retraction until ALL motion stops and the motors are quiet (about 10 seconds after the slide stops). This procedure keeps the slide motors in sync. Same process applies to the overhead bed when it is raised or lowered (same motors, same track as the slide out).

Bottom line for this RV: great features and appearance, shoddy workmanship.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
I agree with all in that the manuals are garbage. Imagine if they paid someone to actually sit down and design a unit specific manual that was actually useful!? Would not be that difficult or take much time. Be able to cut and paste one in a few days - and the customer satisfaction scores would go through the roof!

Thor, are you listening!?!?!?!?

That would require hiring and gainfully employing a person with actual technical writing skill, (preferably with English as their first language).

I have had to hire this person while working for a very high-end BBQ grill manufacturer, and several times at aerospace companies. They are easy to find, (I just hire an engineer).

It takes commitment from executive management to produce good readable manuals and keep them up to date. "Good Enough", (just including a generic pamphlet), is obviously what the RV industry is shooting for.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #18

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Beacher, dude you hit that nail dead on! So sad but true! Although, with today's cut and pasting programs.......I know, good enough will do!

Sconner - that is a very nice bag though!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One item that I received with my Forest River class C that I wish Thor included was a build sheet. The build sheet included all major items such as AC unit, televisions, refrigerator etc... and provided the manufacturer's name, model number, serial number, date of installation and the inspecting technician's sign off.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
One item that I received with my Forest River class C that I wish Thor included was a build sheet. The build sheet included all major items such as AC unit, televisions, refrigerator etc... and provided the manufacturer's name, model number, serial number, date of installation and the inspecting technician's sign off.
My Axis came with one stuck in the closet. I scanned it and keep an e-copy of it around.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote