Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
If you are just trying to look at a certain model. I would find out what dealer has one on there lot and plan a visit to them. I drove 3 plus hours each way to see the DRV floor plan that I was interested in. And also drove over 2 hours to see the color of my truck before I ordered it.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We went to the Tampa show 3 years ago to look at an maybe buy a Winnie Travato. Spent a long time trying to figure out how we could squeeze into one. Then we saw the Vegas, which offered a lot more for us at about the same price. It was General that had the Vegas, somebody else had the other floorplans in Axis.
Shows are always a good opportunity to grill the company reps, but you usually have to track them down.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:15 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
This may help:

TMC to Show Full Line of Coaches at Tampa Show | RV Business
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #24

State: Arkansas
THOR #10401
Thx chance - even says they’ll have the 4000, now just need to convince the wife I need to fly to Tampa
Old 01-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #25

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
Good luck. Should be a nice weekend as well. I live just outside of Clearwater p.m. me if you have any questions about the area
Old 01-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcindc View Post
Thx chance - even says they’ll have the 4000, now just need to convince the wife I need to fly to Tampa
I'd go for it.

Last year we flew from Texas to Tampa early in morning, rented a car, and got to show early enough to spend half of day just getting an idea of where everything was. Even though it was a last-minute decision to go, the only challenge we had was getting a hotel room that wasn't too far from show.

We returned for an additional 1-1/2 days and flew back in evening, requiring a second hotel room because the first place was booked. In total we spent the equivalent of two full days looking at small Class As (mostly Axis/Vegas) and all Class Bs we could find.

For us the trip was well worth it because we realized there was nothing that we really liked enough to own; and there is a lot of value in that too. I'd try again this year but expect it'd be more of the same.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #27

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Went to the Tampa show today. Camping World has the 27.7 at the show and the Vegas dealer (General RV I think) had the new 25.6. Didn’t really like the new interior better than our 2016 and we still like our 24.1 best. Went thru several Tiffin Wayfarer Class Cs. Nice layout and Tiffin quality and fit and finish. Nice little units, but at $117K show price, you’re paying for it.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Went to the Tampa show today. Camping World has the 27.7 at the show and the Vegas dealer (General RV I think) had the new 25.6. Didn’t really like the new interior better than our 2016 and we still like our 24.1 best. Went thru several Tiffin Wayfarer Class Cs. Nice layout and Tiffin quality and fit and finish. Nice little units, but at $117K show price, you’re paying for it.
I was there as well and saw the 27.7 and am still impressed by it. But not enough to take the plunge yet. I like what they have done, but am leery of buying one of the first units off of the assembly line.

I also looked at the Wayfarer and I agree that they are a nice rig, but I don't think that they bring anything to the party that you can't find in several other makes - except a very high price.

I wandered into the North Trail area and looked at a Bay Star Sport 2812. It's a nice rig, comparable to the Vegas 27.7 in a lot of ways and with a comparable MSRP. Of course, they claim a much high quality build than Thor but in many ways that's a matter of opinion. I liked what I saw of the 27.7 and we'll see how well it does in the wild.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #29

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
We looked at the Bar Star Sport two years ago when we bought our Axis and it really is more comparable to the ACE or F3 or other RVs built on the F-53 chassis. If you are willing to move to an F-53 rather than the E-450 of the Axis/Vegas, there are quite a few to look at and compare. We looked at all of them and could not see any good reason for us to move to the F-53. We agree that the Bar Star Sport was one if the nicer under 30’ F-53 chassis RVs.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 AM   #30

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Just to whet your interest...

https://www.jayco.com/products/class...s/2019-embark/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeDmsOnhIrn/
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #9050
We are here at the Tampa show camping in the parking lot and woke up to 25 degrees! Looked at the new Vegas and wasn't impressed. The Newmar New Aire is awesome as is the Tiffin Red AA. Will get out more today.
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #32

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler-Head View Post
We are here at the Tampa show camping in the parking lot and woke up to 25 degrees! Looked at the new Vegas and wasn't impressed. The Newmar New Aire is awesome as is the Tiffin Red AA. Will get out more today.

Funny how quickly your tastes change once you start looking at the swankety brands. Only $100 more per month!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #33
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Unhappy

I guess its all a matter of opinion. I looked at the Vegas 27.7 and was impressed with the room compared to my 2016 25.2. I also really liked the interior and idea of having a sofa and dinette. If this coach was available in 2016 I would have never upgraded to the Windsport.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Funny how quickly your tastes change once you start looking at the swankety brands. Only $100 more per month!
I read somewhere that the average cost of owning a motorhome is in the $1,000 a month range, so what's another $100?

As I recall that estimate included costs like insurance, parking, maintenance, etc. which may or may not be affected by higher initial cost. I believe it did not include gas and other travel-related costs, but I'm not sure.

I'm lucky that "swankety" doesn't appeal to me at all because it defeats what I want to get out of camping, at least for now.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:06 AM   #35

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I read somewhere that the average cost of owning a motorhome is in the $1,000 a month range, so what's another $100?

As I recall that estimate included costs like insurance, parking, maintenance, etc. which may or may not be affected by higher initial cost. I believe it did not include gas and other travel-related costs, but I'm not sure.

I'm lucky that "swankety" doesn't appeal to me at all because it defeats what I want to get out of camping, at least for now.

I wouldn’t argue with that figure and it’s low if you count loan payments for most if us and depreciation. And then there’s the fuel. I budget $200/mo. It’s not enough but it helps even out the cash flow for budgeting purposes.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:23 AM   #36

State: New York
THOR #10514
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Has anyone been to this show? We're thinking about heading that way this afternoon. Mostly, we're wondering what Thor is showing?
Was at the show yesterday (Thurs.), it’s HUGE. “Campers World” was there with the Thor line. Pretty sure they had A.C.E.’s, Freedom Travelers, & Hurricanes. Left there a little overwhelmed, everything started blending together. Going back tomorrow to look again and narrow it down. I’m actually trying to find reviews on those 3 models, but can’t seem to find any.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:42 AM   #37

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiHotShots View Post
Was at the show yesterday (Thurs.), it’s HUGE. “Campers World” was there with the Thor line. Pretty sure they had A.C.E.’s, Freedom Travelers, & Hurricanes. Left there a little overwhelmed, everything started blending together. Going back tomorrow to look again and narrow it down. I’m actually trying to find reviews on those 3 models, but can’t seem to find any.

Welcome to the forum! Yes, the Tampa Show is huge, one of the biggest in the country. If you are new to the RV world, don't make any hasty decisions. The show 'deal" is no great deal if you end up with the wrong unit. If you are seriously shopping for an RV, don't waste much precious show time on the inside vendors.

It's a good idea for folks new to RVs to rent a rig or several, to help you know what you need and what you like. Your new friends here on this forum can help you compare specific RVs, once you narrow it down some. Remember, like shoes, the style you like and fits me may be the style that you like and fits you.

Happy shopping!