Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I was probably using the wrong term/name. By “awning” I was thinking of the type Winnebago uses on Travato as an option, and common in some Euro-style expensive trailers. I’ll have to look up the right name.

They help keep light rain out and often have screens and shades that roll completely out of way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E828573B-445E-4E35-800A-8A13BC6663C4.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	22500  

Old 02-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #22

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Unfortunately, the Travato windows are sliders, not the bottom opening kind like the Axis. However, there are four of them and they provide good cross ventilation. I didn’t think the Sequence “windows” would be much good at all, but the Travato windows have proven useful.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #23

THOR #2121
They are an option — sliders are standard. You can see how they operate in video below a little after 7 minutes if you want to skip the Volta System information.

https://youtu.be/KApRdWGiSBI

Can also see in these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	47A94AE9-AF55-4FDE-BE19-FCB4529B174F.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	22506   Click image for larger version

Name:	9A2B2BFC-F543-47DE-9A7F-E47B764F7DEB.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	22507  

Old 02-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #24

Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I was probably using the wrong term/name. By “awning” I was thinking of the type Winnebago uses on Travato as an option, and common in some Euro-style expensive trailers. I’ll have to look up the right name.

They help keep light rain out and often have screens and shades that roll completely out of way.
If they are hinged at the top they are awning windows. I didn’t see sliders on the Travatos I looked at in person or on the web. Now I am curious.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #25

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
If they are hinged at the top they are awning windows. I didn’t see sliders on the Travatos I looked at in person or on the web. Now I am curious.
Most Travato I’ve seen had sliders. The dual pane window package is expensive, so I’d guess not too popular. You can see difference in these two Travato pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8F1A43A7-B5C8-4DA4-872B-4142848F1728.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	22508   Click image for larger version

Name:	1D5F2E34-07BB-4300-B522-2972F1C373CE.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	22509  

Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #26

THOR #1765
I wonder if it was a planned upgrade that either has not made it into the production models or is coming. Mine has sliders and I have looked at four dealers and the Tampa show and have never seen one with an awning window. I also cannot find them in any brochure or upgrade package on their website or any place to order them, The only place is in the GL package in that video you posted.
They would be a nice addition because you get double the window opening as well as the rain protection,
Old 02-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #27

THOR #2121
By April 2018 they had been announced as a new option for 2019 Model Year. I can’t view the price list I got from factory at the time, but recall they were very expensive; as were all/most options.

https://www.lichtsinn.com/blog/winne...ents-for-2019/

If you go to RV Trader, there are Travato vans with this option listed for sale. Pictures below.

Some Do-It-Yourself van builders with high budget often use these types of windows when building a van for winter sports. One negative about the acrylic windows is that they scratch easily compared to glass. Apparently you have to be very careful cleaning them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AE250050-2DB1-4B2B-8114-74DC07970E7C.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	22512   Click image for larger version

Name:	0FFF7C1B-3171-4C8A-B0AA-B24E4B43453E.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	22513  

Old 03-24-2020, 01:22 AM   #28

State: New Jersey
THOR #18386
Finally had an opportunity to see a Sequence 20K floorplan the other day. This floorplan has become a favorite. You still get the open feeling of the 20L but you get a much nicer "lounge" with the couch. The bed is surprisingly large and we don't have any concerns that the bed will accommodate us comfortably from a size point-of-view. We also like that it would make for a nicer driving experience if we have people riding in the back.

A little background, we were completely sold on the Winnebago Travato 59K. Every time we get in the WBG 59K it feels right. And we've been in it on several occasions. The 20K floorplan has just upset that plan.

What we like, and are concerned about with the Sequence 20K:

1) Bed comfort. With the puzzle piece mattress, we could be making a big mistake. The fix might be better cushions but we can't make that call without jumping in and buying a Sequence.

2) The overall quality is questionable. The remedy here is to accept that, at this price, we're going to have to accept that this coach is going to need upgrades over time and as things fail. Which we expect is going to be often. Another fix is the same floorplan from a company such as Sportsmobile.

3) We really liked the single control panel. There's obviously an up/downside here. Great that everything is in one location, not gonna be so great if/when the control panel fails.

4) Driver/Passenger seat comfort is superior to the WBG. Hands down.

5) Love the high refrigerator.

6) Lots of cabinet/drawer space. This floorplan seems to provide a lot more storage options than the 20L and WBG 59K.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:23 AM   #29

THOR #3069
Thanks for the update.

I am thinking there is less for Thor to screw up since the Sequence uses the Dodge body shell; roof, sides, doors etc. Shorter runs of plumbing and wires may also help keep it reliable.

The plumbing fixtures may need upgrading but I would wait until needed. Time will tell for the bed foam but not a big deal.

I agree on the cab seat comfort. I like the method that the OEM seats can be rotated, I couldn’t find the handle on the Thor. The Thor seats are wider which helps the comfort and also seem to give more support under the thigh.

The problem that kept us from buying one was the head banging situation in the cab. Thor has two shelves overhead vs, Wbg one shelf. Either is a problem for us. The Thor version is worse. If I could buy one without those shelves It would be on my driveway as I type.

I suspect that the Thor ladder is more useful.

What we like, and are concerned about with the Sequence 20K:

1) Bed comfort. With the puzzle piece mattress, we could be making a big mistake. The fix might be better cushions but we can't make that call without jumping in and buying a Sequence.

2) The overall quality is questionable. The remedy here is to accept that, at this price, we're going to have to accept that this coach is going to need upgrades over time and as things fail. Which we expect is going to be often. Another fix is the same floorplan from a company such as Sportsmobile.

3) We really liked the single control panel. There's obviously an up/downside here. Great that everything is in one location, not gonna be so great if/when the control panel fails.

4) Driver/Passenger seat comfort is superior to the WBG. Hands down.

5) Love the high refrigerator.

6) Lots of cabinet/drawer space. This floorplan seems to provide a lot more storage options than the 20L and WBG 59K.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-24-2020, 03:46 AM   #30

State: New Jersey
THOR #18386
The mechanism to rotate the seats is WAY under the seat and quite short. You reach it from the front of the seat. If you're not aware of where it is, you're going to have a hard time finding it. The only way we found out was to have a sales rep at an RV show us where it was.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:02 AM   #31

THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by kltk1 View Post
The mechanism to rotate the seats is WAY under the seat and quite short. You reach it from the front of the seat. If you're not aware of where it is, you're going to have a hard time finding it. The only way we found out was to have a sales rep at an RV show us where it was.
Thanks.

I always rotate the seat in our Dynamax REV to get to the rear. Very easy with the Dodge mechanism on the front right corner. Too bad didn’t keep the OEM frame. Possibly because the air bags are built into the seat backs.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #32

THOR #1765
After examining and driving both the Thor Sequence and Winny 59K, we bought a 2020 59K several months ago. The open layout of the 59K works better for us, but there are some definite advantages to the 59G or 20K. My decision was made easier because I paid $75K for a new/used $124K Winny 59K with all the options including leather seats. A women bought it, kept it a week and returned it. Winnebago gave me the entire warranty and have been super in changing out the incorrect rear screen and shower curtain and answering my questions. Fit and finish are better than Thor, by far (I have owned two Thor’s). We have found the beds much more comfortable than we though they would be and the same goes for the leather seats. It sure is easier to drive and park than my Axis and the interior noise level underway is fantastic. So far we have been very pleased. The big test will come when we stay in it for 2-3 weeks (hopefully) this summer. We may miss the extra room and storage space if our Axis, but hope and believe the other advantages of the Travato will outweighs them.
P.S. i have finally stopped banging my head up front. It takes a few knocks, but you eventually learn.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #33

THOR #3069
We must be slower learners than you. 🙂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
After examining and driving both the Thor Sequence and Winny 59K, we bought a 2020 59K several months ago. The open layout of the 59K works better for us, but there are some definite advantages to the 59G or 20K. My decision was made easier because I paid $75K for a new/used $124K Winny 59K with all the options including leather seats. A women bought it, kept it a week and returned it. Winnebago gave me the entire warranty and have been super in changing out the incorrect rear screen and shower curtain and answering my questions. Fit and finish are better than Thor, by far (I have owned two Thor’s). We have found the beds much more comfortable than we though they would be and the same goes for the leather seats. It sure is easier to drive and park than my Axis and the interior noise level underway is fantastic. So far we have been very pleased. The big test will come when we stay in it for 2-3 weeks (hopefully) this summer. We may miss the extra room and storage space if our Axis, but hope and believe the other advantages of the Travato will outweighs them.
P.S. i have finally stopped banging my head up front. It takes a few knocks, but you eventually learn.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #34

THOR #3069
Does your Travato have the Sumo springs?

How did the ride compare between the two brands? Any difference?

QUOTE=Oneilkeys;228276]After examining and driving both the Thor Sequence and Winny 59K, we bought a 2020 59K several months ago. The open layout of the 59K works better for us, but there are some definite advantages to the 59G or 20K. My decision was made easier because I paid $75K for a new/used $124K Winny 59K with all the options including leather seats. A women bought it, kept it a week and returned it. Winnebago gave me the entire warranty and have been super in changing out the incorrect rear screen and shower curtain and answering my questions. Fit and finish are better than Thor, by far (I have owned two Thor’s). We have found the beds much more comfortable than we though they would be and the same goes for the leather seats. It sure is easier to drive and park than my Axis and the interior noise level underway is fantastic. So far we have been very pleased. The big test will come when we stay in it for 2-3 weeks (hopefully) this summer. We may miss the extra room and storage space if our Axis, but hope and believe the other advantages of the Travato will outweighs them.
P.S. i have finally stopped banging my head up front. It takes a few knocks, but you eventually learn.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #35

THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut....

The problem that kept us from buying one was the head banging situation in the cab. Thor has two shelves overhead vs, Wbg one shelf. Either is a problem for us. The Thor version is worse. If I could buy one without those shelves It would be on my driveway as I type.

.....cut......
[/QUOTE]

ProMaster vans with high roofs are built from factory with a metal crossmember that connect both “B” pillars at about the same height (elevation) as the low-roof van’s ceiling. The area above the cab created by this crossmember is used as storage space.

It’s interesting to see that a few European RV manufacturers have started removing that metal crossmember to open the cab area. In some cases they also add moonroof and or sunroof which adds natural light and sense of space (along with added heat load). Maybe we’ll start seeing this in North America one day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5E6B8D12-C4E4-47B8-B426-86A943206AC8.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	23045  
Old 03-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #36

THOR #1765
ProMaster vans with high roofs are built from factory with a metal crossmember that connect both “B” pillars at about the same height (elevation) as the low-roof van’s ceiling. The area above the cab created by this crossmember is used as storage space.

It’s interesting to see that a few European RV manufacturers have started removing that metal crossmember to open the cab area. In some cases they also add moonroof and or sunroof which adds natural light and sense of space (along with added heat load). Maybe we’ll start seeing this in North America one day.[/QUOTE]

Funny. That’s one thing my wife hated about the Axis and loves about the Travato. She felt like she was in a fishbowl in the Axis and on a sunny, hot Florida day the cab A/C did not keep up. Sitting further forward in the Travato, I really don’t feel like the windshield is that much smaller or lower. I don’t think I would like any additional windows up front and we would miss the storage space. I had a Phoenix Cruiser class c before my Vegas and Axis and I hit my head on that quite A few times before I could be trained. Long term memory must have kicked in, because I only did it once in the Travato, but I hit it pretty good. Maybe that helped too.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #37

THOR #1765
Quote:
Does your Travato have the Sumo springs?

How did the ride compare between the two brands? Any difference?

QUOTE=Oneilkeys;228276]After examining and driving both the Thor Sequence and Winny 59K, we bought a 2020 59K several months ago. The open layout of the 59K works better for us, but there are some definite advantages to the 59G or 20K. My decision was made easier because I paid $75K for a new/used $124K Winny 59K with all the options including leather seats. A women bought it, kept it a week and returned it. Winnebago gave me the entire warranty and have been super in changing out the incorrect rear screen and shower curtain and answering my questions. Fit and finish are better than Thor, by far (I have owned two Thor’s). We have found the beds much more comfortable than we though they would be and the same goes for the leather seats. It sure is easier to drive and park than my Axis and the interior noise level underway is fantastic. So far we have been very pleased. The big test will come when we stay in it for 2-3 weeks (hopefully) this summer. We may miss the extra room and storage space if our Axis, but hope and believe the other advantages of the Travato will outweighs them.
[/QUOTE]

My Travato does not have the Sumo springs and I didn’t see that much difference in ride between the Sequence and Travato. But, I didn’t really drive the Sequence long enough to be a good judge. The Travato rides and drives much closer to my Mazda CX-5 than my Axis 24.1.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #38

THOR #3069

It’s interesting to see that a few European RV manufacturers have started removing that metal crossmember to open the cab area. In some cases they also add moonroof and or sunroof which adds natural light and sense of space (along with added heat load). Maybe we’ll start seeing this in North America one day.[/QUOTE]

I was told by a salesman that Winnebago added the shelf above the cab seats for 2019 due to customer requests. Maybe they and Thor could make that an option.

My adult daughter can stand on the cab seats and have head clearance in my Dynamax REV.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #39

THOR #3069
My Travato does not have the Sumo springs and I didn’t see that much difference in ride between the Sequence and Travato. But, I didn’t really drive the Sequence long enough to be a good judge. The Travato rides and drives much closer to my Mazda CX-5 than my Axis 24.1.[/QUOTE]

OK, I expected them to have similar rides. I am very pleased with the ProMaster handling at all speeds and conditions.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #40

THOR #2121
Quote:
I was told by a salesman that Winnebago added the shelf above the cab seats for 2019 due to customer requests. Maybe they and Thor could make that an option.

My adult daughter can stand on the cab seats and have head clearance in my Dynamax REV.
Which shelf are you referring to? I was talking about the one above the metal crossmember (between B pillars) that forms a large storage area. On most Winnebago Travato 59G that I’ve seen they stored additional cushions that are needed for the front bed. Anyway, that crossmember is from factory, but is being eliminated on some Euro motorhomes.

There is also the much smaller shelf by windshield and sun visors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	45FA9FA5-8A91-4D38-93AA-23DBAA060FBA.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	23046  

Tags
2020, class b, sequence, thor