Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Connecticut
THOR #25576
Thor Sequence "loose" interior side walls

I have had my new 2022 Sequence 20L for about two weeks. I took a 10-day trip and have started a list of things that need repair. These seem to be minor. The irritating thing about it is they were probably in this state, in need of repair, when I picked up the campervan. (Loose screws, a side window will not open, a set of 120V and USB ports don't work). But there is one issue I find alarming. The interior walls, which seem to be a plastic/composite material, are not solidly attached to the van walls. They are attached snugly at the top of the van, but as one moves down the side windows, I noted that the composite material is not snug to the van wall, not snug to the windows, such that at the bottom of the window the composite wall rests about an inch away from the van wall, and it can easily be pulled away to about 3". My dealer told me this is by design to accommodate changes in temperature. That did not make sense to me. I contacted Thor and they responded the walls should not be loose, it is not a design issue, and the walls need to be re-attached. I do know the mechanism by which the composite walls attach to the van wall. It appears that, by putting pressure on the composite wall they may stick to the van wall, then come loose again, suggesting a type of adhesive. Does anyone have insight or experience with this? Thanks.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My first thought is to run self tapping metals screws in then glue color matched fabric button heads to them. But you don’t want to run a screw through a wire or pipe.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
2 weeks old. Take it back to the dealer. Let them repair it.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:11 AM   #4

THOR #25576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequence1 View Post
I have had my new 2022 Sequence 20L for about two weeks. I took a 10-day trip and have started a list of things that need repair. These seem to be minor. The irritating thing about it is they were probably in this state, in need of repair, when I picked up the campervan. (Loose screws, a side window will not open, a set of 120V and USB ports don't work). But there is one issue I find alarming. The interior walls, which seem to be a plastic/composite material, are not solidly attached to the van walls. They are attached snugly at the top of the van, but as one moves down the side windows, I noted that the composite material is not snug to the van wall, not snug to the windows, such that at the bottom of the window the composite wall rests about an inch away from the van wall, and it can easily be pulled away to about 3". My dealer told me this is by design to accommodate changes in temperature. That did not make sense to me. I contacted Thor and they responded the walls should not be loose, it is not a design issue, and the walls need to be re-attached. I do know the mechanism by which the composite walls attach to the van wall. It appears that, by putting pressure on the composite wall they may stick to the van wall, then come loose again, suggesting a type of adhesive. Does anyone have insight or experience with this? Thanks.
Thanks for the feedback. Now, after I sent video and photos of the problem, both the dealer, Scott Motor Coach, and Thor say that, yes, those walls are a problem. I was at the dealer Tuesday, when I first told them about it, but they would not have technician look at it. Now they say I have to wait until January 3 for an appointment. As soon as they got the check for purchase, everything changed from "we are here for you" to "can't help you now." If I had the campervan awhile and this issue showed up, I would say fit me in when you can, but this unit likely had this defect (and 5 others) at time of delivery, 11/29. That's another entire issue.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Park it sideways across their drive way.
Make a picket sign.
Dare them.

January 3rd is reasonable at this time of year.

Rvchecklist is an app.
Download it and use it today to make a list for your drop off.

And a purchase lesson:
The finance guy writes you a due Bill saying:
Immediate warranty response guaranteed three times, $2,000 value.
Refund upon lack of fulfillment.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #6

THOR #25576
Yes, I have my poster content ready to send to CVS for signs to post.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Yes, I have my poster content ready to send to CVS for signs to post.
In the meantime, I would contact Thor again. If they acknowledge the loose walls are a problem, I’d ask what they have done on other units as a fix. I really doubt they’ll tell the dealer to remove the walls and Reggie them. There are other incidents in this forum where folks have gone in for warranty repairs only to let it sit on the lot for weeks, months. I’d want to know what to expect on January 3.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #8

THOR #25576
Jimbo56,

Thanks for your feedback. I have already written to the dealer as follows:

I would also like to have an idea of what will need to be done to fix the walls. I am wondering how small/large a project it will be. For example, will the beds or cabinets have to be removed or can the repairs be made with them in place? Are the walls attached by some type of hardware that failed, are they attached by some type of adhesive that failed? Is it some other mechanism? What could have caused the failure? What can be done so such failures do not occur again? How prevalent is this problem at Thor, how many times has this problem come to light and had to be repaired? They must have statistics on the warranty repairs they make. I realize that you might not know that until you are able to look at it and are able to consult with Thor, but I'd like to know when you do become aware of information concerning the issue, its repair, and its prevalence, and how long it will take to fix it.

Have a good day.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:24 PM   #9

THOR #25576
They also tell me I can use the camper van as if for now. I had planned a trip beginning 12/28/21, but I was going to postpone so I could do the appointment 1/3/22 (there are five other things they need to fix, mostly minor). I have confirmed with them it's okay to do my trip and bring it in after, which would be later in January.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I guess it's too late to mention that a complete and thorough PDI is the most useful part of the purchase process...
Good luck with getting them to make i right!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:35 PM   #11

THOR #25576
Right about that Bob. I sure wish I had been more thorough in the PDI. My advice to self now would be take as long as it takes, even if it takes all day. Check everything, no matter how small it may seem to be. Within a few days, as I went over things after I had it home. I went on a ten-day trip and the more I used it the more problems I found. I found screws that were out, cabinet doors that would not stay closed, a window that would not open, and some 120V outlets and USB ports that do not work with the inverter, and of course the loose walls. (video of the walls: https://youtu.be/SzcGvJRiAEY).
Old 12-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Rvchecklist
An app

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Right about that Bob. I sure wish I had been more thorough in the PDI. My advice to self now would be take as long as it takes, even if it takes all day. Check everything, no matter how small it may seem to be. Within a few days, as I went over things after I had it home. I went on a ten-day trip and the more I used it the more problems I found. I found screws that were out, cabinet doors that would not stay closed, a window that would not open, and some 120V outlets and USB ports that do not work with the inverter, and of course the loose walls. (video of the walls: https://youtu.be/SzcGvJRiAEY).
We learned our lesson on our first RV. The second one had almost a 4 hour marathon.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:48 PM   #14

THOR #25576
Thanks Duckface. I don't see info, via following your link, to the RC checklist, though doing a Google search does provide many options.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:19 AM   #15

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
The dealers lie, period. They'll say anything (it's designed this way for hot and cold expansion, blah, blah). How much did you pay him for dealer prep? CW charged me $1200 and I had to vacuum the sawdust from drawers, plus plenty else. Call Thor customer service, make the complaint. Be the giant pain in the ass. But DO bring a box of donuts into the shop when you drop it off, let them know whose rig they are from.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:51 PM   #16

THOR #25576
Thanks gnach. I've been bugging them like crazy, phone calls and emails, and getting ready with videos.