Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #5601
THOR Super C owners out there?

Howdy All,

Looking at buying our first ever RV and been looking around for a few months....a deal came across our path for a 2015 Thor Chateau 35SB (the exact model we where looking at with bunkhouse and outside kitchen), been reading many mixed reviews.....after seeing it in person, we found issues with leveling jack system (reads error), home batteries (wont hold charge), ladder step broken, bedroom door wont close, pillow Velcro falling a part at dinette, the black tape on the tanks (heating pad?) is coming off, almost all shades and blinds wont work properly and the fridge seemed to fall back in its cabinet??!?

The seller has a "premium extended warrantee " and will take care of all before we take possession, but..... is it normal on a one year old RV? or is it a THOR thing? the warranty has 3.5 years left on it and is transferable, but it is still a bit scary...... the Ford part seems great, super quiet, smooth and great power..

Guess I need some "motivation" and feedback lol....

Old 10-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Sounds like it has issues! The ladder issue, are you talking about the rear ladder that you can climb on top of the coach? If so, be very weary of that damage. Check the bottom of the ladder, if it looks or feel like its been scraped along the ground, (pulling into or out of a driveway), watch out!! I had that problem on a previous coach, it was damaged prior to delivery at the dealership. The force created when that ladder is shoved up, will weaken the attachment point of the ladder to the fiberglass cap. It can be a very expensive to fix, which may include removing the cap.

The battery issue is probably a Harris battery issue, they had a run of bad batteries, it appears Thor ended up with all of them.

Sounds like you may want to keep looking, unless you are handy with tools and are a McGyver type fix it all handy man like some on this forum are!

I am not a handy man, you are looking at spending a lot of money for this rig, YOU and your significant other will have to look real hard and make sure you want to invest your hard earned money on this rig!!

The dealer wants to move inventory, so he/she is gonna tell you whatever he/she thinks will motivate you to buy, they are motivated to sell!!!

Is the extended warranty thru Thor or a third party? If a 3rd party, they may not make all those repairs, they are very hard to file claims with. If that's the case, will Thor make those repairs, or will the dealership? Also, what kind of warranty is there on that work that's performed??

IF, you decide to pull the trigger on this thing, I would make a thorough walk thru fix-it list, take pictures with your smart phone or tablet, get everything in writing as to who will fix what and with what kind of guarantee, should they glue the Velcro back on and it comes lose in 6 months??

Some of those seemingly minor cosmetic issues tend to grow, especially when they used sub standard parts and material to build the coach, those cheap blinds may need to be replaced with upgraded ones, that fit and work better, who will pay? Maybe you pay for upgrade and they install?? You will have to work out those details.

Whatever you do, get it in writing with a reasonable explanation and the most important thing you can do is ask for and keep copies of all service repair orders and bill or owe sheets the dealer provides. And when getting repairs done, take pictures with your smart phone, before and after pictures, they may come in handy day down the road if you have to file a claim, (it really helped me).

Sorry, I got a little long winded!!
Old 10-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #5601
thanks for the input:0

its a privet party, he lives close by to the dealer he purchased it from 18 months ago and in the contract we agreed he is responsible for fixing everything before we complete the transaction.... I believe the financing company will require an inspection as well...