Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2017, 03:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #7088
Thor Tuscany XTE 36mq charging

My 36mq does not seem to be charging the chassis battery while having the shore power as my energy supplier. I was informed and checked my manual to confirm that it should charge the chassis battery once the house batteries reach a particular voltage. Currently, the monitor is showing fully charged. The isolator then should connect to the chassis batteries to charge them.

According to my manual, the reverse should be true while the motor is running and there is no shore power. I don't know if the reverse is is true, but will going on a trip and will monitor it and see what happens.

The motor will charge and maintain a charge. But, after sitting for a few days plugged in to the shore power, it was down to 10V. I checked all the compartments and everything I can think of that would drain it.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Patrick

Old 07-14-2017, 03:40 AM   #2

State: Colorado
THOR #5477
In use switch has to be engaged
Old 07-14-2017, 03:55 AM   #3

THOR #7088
Thank You!
Where do I find this switch?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The 'Use/Store' switch is typically as you enter the RV - and connects/disconnects the house batteries... It should normally be in 'Use' when connected to shore power (or using genny) to insure all stays charged...
(Everything else would still work while connected to Shore power - as the converter would be providing the 12v needed for the house - it just won't charge the batteries...)

If your switch is already in 'Use' - then you have a different issue. I don't know whether your MH has a BIRD/Trombetta or a Battery Control Center - but that would be the next place to look... A good description in Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis manual. These are the systems responsible for isolating and tying the batteries together as appropriate.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

THOR #7088
Hi, Greg!
Thanks for the note. The switch on my panel says "House Batteries" and, yes, it is turned on. This sounds like it must be the "In Use" switch you and Phil referred to.

So, there must be something wrong somewhere. My manual does not provide for much trouble shooting, but I will dig into the Battery Control Center located in the front driver side compartment. Not sure what I'll find, but will look for the obvious.

I think for now, I'll shut the chassis batteries off while not using the engine.
Patrick
Old 07-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #6

THOR #7088
I have not been able to locate anything that says BIRD/Trombetta. I looked at the battery control center. There was nothing obvious about an isolator. Time to get out my meter and start tracking things down.

It would be good to know if anyone has ever installed a BIRD/Trombetta or any such controller. I wonder how difficult it would be.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by phauke View Post
I have not been able to locate anything that says BIRD/Trombetta. I looked at the battery control center. There was nothing obvious about an isolator. Time to get out my meter and start tracking things down.

It would be good to know if anyone has ever installed a BIRD/Trombetta or any such controller. I wonder how difficult it would be.

Thanks Everyone!
The battery control center performs the same functions that the BIRD/Trombetta combination does.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #8

THOR #7088
Ok! I guess I need to take it in for a look. There was no obvious fuses or relays with markings. And, I do not have a wiring diagram.

Thanks a ton!
Patrick
Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
We had same issue with same coach. The "Bird" relay and "Trombetta" relay are located in passenger rear compartment under magnum inverter. I have replaced my trombetta 3 times. If you stay connected to shore power alot it burns up.

Testing - easiest way to test is to unplug coach. Start coach let run for ~ 5 minutes to allow bird to energize trombetta. Look at voltage on panel above passenger seat to see if voltage is ~13.2 or greater. If it is trombetta and bird working. If not, then go to relay and check "purple wire from bird to see if above 12 volts. If so, then check voltage across the trombetta relay to see if it is picked up. You need to check across the large terminals. Should be less than .5 volts if batteries are connected.

If you want the relay to last a long time I would suggest to "unplug the purple wire" from Bird relay while plugged into shore power while in storage - or install a switch in line to turn off. This prevents the relay from staying energized while in storage.

The whole purpose it to keep both banks of batteries charged and to allow you to run off the inverter while going down the highway without using the generator.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #10

THOR #7088
Thank You, Steve!
I really appreciate the detail you provided.
I will work through your instructions and install a switch for long term shore power.... which I do use.
Best Wishes!
Patrick
Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #11

THOR #7088
Steve,
Thanks again. The switch would engage by pulling the purple wire off the BIRD, but no voltage seemed to be making it to the other side. So, the internal contacts must be burned. Were you able to notice the relay in the switch clicking at all?
Patrick
Old 07-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #12

THOR #4843
Yes. The contactor will click like it is trying to pick up but the contacts wont engage.

The good news is Thor is aware of the problem and will send a replacement if you are still under warranty. If not, the cost is about 70-80 in the internet. if buying your own, there is a replacement that has silver contacts that is a few dollars more but I have it is worth it.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #13

THOR #7088
Hi, Steve,
I replaced the relay switch and all is good.
I would be interested to know about the more durable version is if you do not mind sharing it.
Your help is really appreciated!
Patrick
Old 07-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #14

THOR #4843
Quote:
Hi, Steve,
I replaced the relay switch and all is good.
I would be interested to know about the more durable version is if you do not mind sharing it.
Your help is really appreciated!
Patrick
Patrick,

Here is a link to Amazon for the silver contact version:
https://www.amazon.com/Trombetta-Vol.../dp/B007W2NBAU

Notice the only difference is in the 020 ending for silver contacts versus the 010 for the copper contacts.

Since disconnecting while in storage I have not had another issue. However, if it goes out again I might just re-engineer the system and install a combiner from Yandina Electronics and do away with the Trombetta. The Yandina version is all solid state and works well. I installed one in my boat 4 years ago and have had zero issues.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #15

THOR #7088
BIRD problems

Hi, Steve!
Last year you were very helpful to me in getting my chassis batteries to charge from shore power. I changed the Trombetta and it failed again a year later. Changed it out with the heavy duty versions (020). While I can manually make it work, the BIRD does not seem to be working. I let the chassis batteries dip to 11 volts while the coach (or house) batteries were at 13.4v. The BIRD did not switch on the purple wire to the solenoid.

I is it likely that the BIRD died? Or could it be something else?
Thanks!
Patrick
Old 05-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #16

THOR #7088
BIRD.. bad fuse

I Just posted a few minutes ago about the BIRD. Then I grabbed a DVM to measure the voltages. I ran down the voltages for both chassis and coach to below 12.6V. While I was waiting for this to happen, I started checking fuses with the DVM. I found a blown fuse leading to a gadget that I have no idea what it is for. But, I changed the fuse and reconnected to shore power and just waited for a minutes... sure enough it all started working.

So what is this box between the BIRD and the solenoid? See the pictures attached.

Sorry for any disruption!
Thanks!
Patrick
Old 05-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #17

THOR #7088
Sorry... here are the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD 1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	10420   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD 2.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	10421  

Old 05-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #18

THOR #4843
Quote:
Sorry... here are the pictures.
That is your battery disconnect solenoid. When you hit your battery disconnect switch by passenger seat this should be that relay. My configuration is slightly different but I believe that is what yours is....
Old 05-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #19

THOR #4843
Patrick,

I also changed up to this relay instead of the Trombetta if it goes out again. It has a 15VDC rating instead of 12VDC. Should hold up better under continuous usage. Since I bought this one I have not had any more issues.....

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...tH1I0Etg%3D%3D
Old 05-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #20

THOR #7088
Thanks for the info, Steve!
I called the folks at Trombetta. He recommended to not replace with any more Trombettas. :-) So, thanks for the link to a better solenoid.
Patrick

Tags
battery, charger, isolator