Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2020, 11:58 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany XTE 40 GQ
State: California
THOR #21447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
The newly installed assembly and motors has solved the knocking problem.

Whenpigsfly,

Can you tell me what parts were needed to resolve this slide knocking issue. My 2015 Tuscany has the same problem and nobody seems to know the cause or the solution to it.
I had the entire assembly replaced. It is my understanding that Swinteck / Lippert (sp?) redesigned the whole thing. So I believe I got two new motors and the entire assembly.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:36 AM   #122

Model: Tuscany 40KQ
State: Florida
THOR #2912
Making sure I understand, the entire gear assembly including motors are replaced to stop the banging when hitting bumps?

Were both the front and rear assemblies replaced on the slide?
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #123

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I just traded up to a Tuscany 36MQ. Any surprises coming up? I haven’t picked it up yet. Is there anything in particular I should look out for on this model?
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #124
RWF

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Washington
THOR #15174
We have a 2014 36MQ we bought a couple years ago. No major problems. We lost the relay that connects the two electrical systems right off. Last month we lost a rear suspension air bag.
My biggest concern is that one time I let the Deff get below half and an alarm horn went off. The fuel guage went to empty (even though it wasn't) lights were flashing. I pulled over and shut down and even with the engine shut off the warning horn kept beeping. I put Deff in, even though it wasn't empty, and had to shut off the chassis power to reset things. Since then I haven't let it get below 3/4 and it has beern ok.
Something is wrong but I cant get any information on what it might be. I suspect a quantity senser issue, but everybody just wants me to bring it in.
Good luck on the new Machine.........
Old 02-24-2021, 09:03 PM   #125

State: Illinois
THOR #16357
I bought a 2012. 45’LT Thor Tuscany two years ago was 28,000 miles on it have quite a few little things I’d like to address but not sure where to go to ask the questions
Old 02-24-2021, 09:08 PM   #126

State: Illinois
THOR #16357
On my 2012 Thor Tuscany The TV has settled down a quarter inch too much and the remote cannot see the electric eye how hard is it to get at TV on the backside and shim it up does anybody know?
Old 03-31-2021, 08:50 PM   #127

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Wiper Seal

I'm looking for a replacement wiper seal similar to the one in the picture. The one in the picture is the OEM top wiper for the passenger front slide (table/couch). As you can see the flap on the seal does not extend to the top of the slide and it never has. When it rains and the wind is blowing, water gets inside the coach. The gap between the MH opening for the slide and the top of the slide is 3.5".

I've looked all over (web and rv parts) and can not find a wiper that has a 3.5 inch flap that can fit this opening.

I've called Thor (the Lazy Days is who they refer you to) and they researched it and said this is a nonstandard part and is no longer manufactured....not that it matters because the OEM did not meet the requirement as the flap is too short.

I'd be interested in what other 36MQ owners have as a wiper seal above this slide, if you can please post a picture.

Any other suggestions to find a replacement would also be greatly appreciated.

R/
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Wipe.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	29522  
Old 03-31-2021, 10:35 PM   #128

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post

I've looked all over (web and rv parts) and can not find a wiper that has a 3.5 inch flap that can fit this opening.

I've called Thor (the Lazy Days is who they refer you to) and they researched it and said this is a nonstandard part and is no longer manufactured....not that it matters because the OEM did not meet the requirement as the flap is too short.

I'd be interested in what other 36MQ owners have as a wiper seal above this slide, if you can please post a picture.

R/
Greg
I suspect Steele Rubber products has what you need.

<https://www.steelerubber.com/camper-rv>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:16 PM   #129

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
I'm looking for a replacement wiper seal similar to the one in the picture. The one in the picture is the OEM top wiper for the passenger front slide (table/couch). As you can see the flap on the seal does not extend to the top of the slide and it never has. When it rains and the wind is blowing, water gets inside the coach. The gap between the MH opening for the slide and the top of the slide is 3.5".

R/
Greg

i used rubber garage door flat rubber seals ti fix my torn seals years ago.
i had to use small screws and glue, then i found some at steele
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide seal pp5.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	29528  
Old 04-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #130

State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I suspect Steele Rubber products has what you need.

<https://www.steelerubber.com/camper-rv>

Unfortunately they do not. I need a seal with a 3.5" flap and best they have is 3.25" on a 4 1/16" seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i used rubber garage door flat rubber seals ti fix my torn seals years ago.
i had to use small screws and glue, then i found some at steele
Interesting idea, I'll look into that. Thanks!

I may have to cobble something together from the existing seal and epoxy a seal onto it that would cover the current gap.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:57 PM   #131

THOR #21447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
Making sure I understand, the entire gear assembly including motors are replaced to stop the banging when hitting bumps?

Were both the front and rear assemblies replaced on the slide?
sorry for the late reply, don't get on the forum much. I was trying to get hold of the repair guy. Yes, I understand there are two motors and the assembly. Everything was replaced for a parts price of about $1700. My extended warranty covered part of it as my repair shop showed that the original was showing undue wear. Hope this helps. We are knock free.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #132

THOR #21447
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief90 View Post
My inverter will not come on, 2016 Thor Tuscany 40 AX Xte,

any help would be appreciated, I reviewed the owner's manual and the Magnum manual, somewhere there is a reset switch and I can't find it.

Thanks

Sue
I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany Xte GQ 40. In battery compartment off to left up on inverter is a very small switch, button actually that will pop out. I am working from memory but I believe it is a red cowling or cover with a yellow button. If the button is out (it should be if inverter is off) press it in, or press and let it pop out and then press in. Our 12 volt lights started flashing while driving, our generator would not start and our slides would not work. This combination indicated to Thor service rep over phone that this reset would work. It did. I asked where in manual you would find. He just laughed.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #133

THOR #21447
Yes, the entire assembly including motors were replaced. about $1500 to $1700 in parts. both sides of slide out.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #134

State: Arkansas
THOR #4438
If your inverter is installed the way mine is the reset button will be on the bottom of the inverter. It's a small red or white pop out button. Can send photo, but can't figure out how to attach to this message. BTW, nowhere in any manual by Thor or Magnum is the reset switch mentioned or shown.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:21 AM   #135

Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
My first post. Hello everyone.

Greetings each and all.
I'm about to go down the rabbit hole and buy my first RV. I have studied the Thor 40KQ for several months as well as others. I have located a few of this module and have done a few walk-thru's Looking at them 3 hours each before talking money. My hope is to find my last RV first and not die as that would sure be my last RV.
So I am here today asking if there is anything I should look out for and any tips you may offer. I would enjoy knowing more about what I am in store for.. Good and bad

Thank You in advance
Old 08-24-2021, 03:01 AM   #136

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by First RV 4 me View Post
Greetings each and all.
I'm about to go down the rabbit hole and buy my first RV. I have studied the Thor 40KQ for several months as well as others. I have located a few of this module and have done a few walk-thru's Looking at them 3 hours each before talking money. My hope is to find my last RV first and not die as that would sure be my last RV.
So I am here today asking if there is anything I should look out for and any tips you may offer. I would enjoy knowing more about what I am in store for.. Good and bad

Thank You in advance
Welcome aboard (well almost). I have been an avid RV nut job for 40 years. In that time I have owned tents, pop up campers, trailers, class B, class C, Mercedes based class and class A. I currently enjoy a Thor Tuscany 36MQ which is very similar to your potential 40KQ.

I’ll get right to it. Every RV manufacturer churns out poorly fitted products. From the minute you roll off the lot the list of things you find broken, loose, not working or not properly installed will grow. The industry is rife with poor workmanship. Now that you know that don’t freak out. An RV is fun as hell to have you just need to be prepared. Initially you should simply compile a list of issues and after you have been out a few times on road trips and feel like you have discovered all the little problems, call Thor Factory and make an appointment to bring it in so they can fix it all in one visit. They are the best at doing it hands down. You can also take it to your local Thor dealer but that usually adds time to how long it will take to repair as they wait for approval and parts under warranty. The factory service center is in Wakarusa Indiana in the middle of nowhere but they will fix everything right the first time. They are actually better at fixing problems than the manufacturing branch was at building it. They have free hook ups and overnight spaces so you can hang out and spend the night as they perform repairs. They will bring your coach in and out as you need it back to sleep in if repairs are going to take more than just one day. Best course is to run the heck out of your RV and make a list then take it in when you don’t need it for a month or more just to be on the safe side. Not all dealerships are created the same. Some are real idiots while others are super great. Before you go to a dealership for repairs ask in here about the dealership you have in mind. Somebody here will know about them and Google always outs crappy dealers as well. Most issues are build issues and not chassis and drive train problems. The Tuscany is well built and a much better coach for reliability than some of Thor’s other products.

Make your best deal, spend the night in the dealers lot and do try “everything” out several times. Have anything you find fixed before you pay and drive off. Sometimes “like now in the middle of summer” it’s very difficult to get in for service and repairs even if you just bought the coach. Whatever the dealer promises, get it in writing. If it’s not in writing it never happened.

Remember a big RV is a large house bouncing down the road, things will break. Don’t sweat the small stuff, don’t let your wife nag you about how much you spent and how something doesn’t work so you’re an idiot and the dealer saw you coming. Smile, it’s not your fault. Sometimes it’s just easier to fix small stuff yourself.

The life you’ll live while in an RV will surpass everything others do by flying and renting a car at the other end.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #137

State: New Hampshire
THOR #1689
Thor rv QA

Agree with previous thread. Quality control in manufacturing process is telling. If you buy a Thor product expect sloppily work, We like our rv alot but but it's a condo on wheels. You must be prepared to do alot of the maintenance of a house and a bus yourself . Flying down road at 55 mph the things just loosens screws from vibration.
We purchased a extended 5 yr warranty when we brought the bus. Best investment we made. We also purchased a premium travel trailer road service another wise choice. Our bus broke down and had to towed a freightliner repair facility. If we did't have breakdown towing coverage it would have cost us $3200 out of pocket.

Hope this helps we do enjoy the 2014 Thor Tuscany 38MQ motor home.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:57 PM   #138

Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
Both replies were very helpful. Thank You so much...
I had no idea about the factory service. I'll look into that.
I have been looking at a 2015 40KQ wishing I could find a 2016. It has a few updates I like more. There are things I put on a list of what I want the dealership to fix. One item is on the radio screen (cameras, Gps) are two small lines in the display on the left side... The salesman said they couldn't do anything about that but I should buy an extended warranty. That I felt was the wrong answer. The second was there is a rock chip in the front windshield. It is small but It bothers me. The salesman said it has been sealed and will be ok. There are about a dozen small things that they said they will fix. (I will get it in writing) Then the back AC... I looked over the roof and noticed the cover had screws sticking up about an inch. The owner of the dealership told me he took it on a trip and the back unit went out. The repair shop said the fan had lost a blade and they only had a taller one in stock and would take 3 weeks to get the correct one. They installed the one they had and used spacers to reinstall the cover. I asked them to make it right and the owner said "Well it works" I will demand that gets fixed proper.
The salesman called me today and came down another 4,000. The price is where I am happy and I rechecked all my finances. The price will work for my budget..
I also like the idea of spending the night in the lot and testing everything.

Thanks for your help here.. I think I found a home with you all...
Old 08-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #139

THOR #6280
Make them put in an original height and type of unit for that AC issue. If not that than a shorter higher cooling unit as an upgrade on them. Be sure to check out the slide toppers and awnings thoroughly. You need to be cautious about raising the overall coach height. Occasionally you find low clearance bridges and trees.

Additionally if you want a professional to thoroughly check everything there are RV inspection services that will come out and spend hours testing and checking everything. They generally charge $800-$1200 depending on how deep you want the inspection. The higher prices includes checking the chemical makeup of the fluids in the engine cooling system, oil, and the generator.

Good luck my friend.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #140

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
You will find more issues over time

Be prepared for the expense without breaking the budget

10K minimum should be available for repairs

Diesel motor homes can last for years but even a seemingly small item can cost