Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2023, 03:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Washington
THOR #30209
slide out maintenance

Hello. 2013 Palazzo 33.1. How often should I be lubricating my slideouts, and what is the procedure for lubricating them? Also, any suggestions for the various sprays available to restore/preserve the rubber seals around my slideouts. I am looking at using a 3 in 1 product.

Old 09-07-2023, 04:35 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The manual on mine said do not lubricate the tracks or gears. I never did anything to the slides and never had a single issue over nearly 4 years. There are folks here that can suggest products for the rollers amd sweeps but stay away from the tracks. You need that friction grip.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt253 View Post
Hello. 2013 Palazzo 33.1. How often should I be lubricating my slideouts, and what is the procedure for lubricating them? Also, any suggestions for the various sprays available to restore/preserve the rubber seals around my slideouts. I am looking at using a 3 in 1 product.
What type of slide mechanism do you have? What's the manufacturer say about lubrication?

Lippert Schwintek slides have change their recommendations to no lube as described above, 5 or so years ago.

Other manufacturers may have different recommendations.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:21 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I apply a product called Aerospace 303 Protectant to all window and slide seals/sweeps on our motorhome - basically anything rubber - every couple months. It's supposed to protect rubber from UV damage and drying out. Four seasons so far and no issues.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:41 PM   #5

State: Maryland
THOR #16222
Definitely do not lubricate your Palazzo slides. I never had a bit of trouble with my Palazzo slides for 4 years until I lubed them with "slide lubricant". The gears immediately started slipping and then breaking off teeth. Had to have the whole system rebuilt. Apparently, the teeth need the friction to operate properly.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:52 AM   #6

Model: Palazzo
State: Washington
THOR #30209
Slideout lube

Thank you so much for your tip. I had read elsewhere not to lube the slides and gears, so I think restraining was a good thing. I did use 3 in 1 rubber treatment on the slideout seals. I sure do appreciate the willingness of so many experienced RV folks to offer advice and help out this newbie who is learning a lot but has a long way to go.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:40 PM   #7

State: Maryland
THOR #16222
You're welcome Jerry, happy travels.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:35 PM   #8

State: New Hampshire
THOR #25149
Slideout lube

Hi: I have a 2014 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z. How do I lube the slideout and what product is best to use? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:57 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomelite View Post
Hi: I have a 2014 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z. How do I lube the slideout and what product is best to use? Thanks.
Did you not read the above??
Old 03-23-2024, 05:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomelite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGilbert View Post
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:31 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
To lube or not to lube? That is the question. Lippert says no now, but they did not always say that. In fact, they have a video on their web site that does a show and tell on how to do it.

Mechanical minds will think if it moves grease it. I think that way myself. But if one considers just how much a slide actually moves maybe lubing is not that big a deal. The gear in the motor is maybe an inch in diameter and that means it moves about 3 inches in each revolution. If a slide moves roughly 20 inches then that gear only rotates 7 times in the entire process. Not only that it moves at a snails pace. Same for the shoes and the v-wheel. They move very little distance and do so very slowly.

IDK, I still lean to the side that a little lube can't hurt. I haven't done it though. If anyone wants to, make sure to use the one and only lubricant recommended by Lippert. That being CRC Super Lube with PTFE. It is pricey. And watch the video. It only gets a puff or two in very specific places.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:54 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The original Schwintek instructions indicated cleaning and lubing the tracks/rails... whatever they're called, along with the drive gear on the motors.

All that has since changed. For whatever reason, the instructions STRAIGHT FROM THE ENGINEERS for the Schwintek slide mechanism says to ONLY CLEAN and INSPECT the tracks/gear drive mechanism. LUBE is not suggested, and can actually be detrimental to the slide operation by attracting dirt and gumming up the track.

I just use a stiff bristle brush and clean dry rag to occasionally clean any debris out of the tracks. I usually look at the tracks every time I extend the slide, looking for dirt or aluminum shavings, gouges in the track etc.

Along with making certain to hold the extend/retract button for an additional 10 seconds or so (for synchronizing the motors) and using 303 Protectant on the seals and sweeps, that's about all I do.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:36 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #25260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGilbert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Not very welcoming to a new member...

Anyway, there are varied opinions on slide lubrication. Clean & dry is least likely to cause an issue. The concern about using a lubricant is applying too much &/or the lubricant attracting dirt & grit and becoming an abrasive.

2015 ACE 30.1, 2017 RAV4, 1999 F250, 1991 Honda ST1100, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1961 MGA
ghnl is offline   Reply With Quote