Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2017, 03:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
4 Down Towing

Anyone tow a VW beetle? I have a Miramar 35.2 and I am looking seriously at a 2012 VW beetle.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:21 AM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40RX
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1567
According to the two guides I looked at there are no Volkswagens that are four down towable for 2012. That leaves towing on a dolly (still iffy) or a flat bed trailer. You would need to look at the owner's manual to see if it can be towed on a dolly; some transmissions, even in neutral, cannot be towed with the drive wheels in ground contact (spinning without the engine running).

2014 Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #3

THOR #6291
4 Down Towing

Thank you for your reply. I have read a lot on vw and 4 down towing. It is done often without issue especially with 5 speed manual transmission. 6 speed manual is still not as proven and of course not with an automatic. I was wondering about the tow bar height relative to my Miramar and attachment to the beetle.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I cannot address the suitability of your VW for towing, but as to the tow bar height issue, my Blue Ox tow bar manual states:

"CAUTION:It is important that the attachment points at the center of the attachment tabs and the center of the coach's hitch receiver should be of equal distance. If a deviation must occur, then it is recommended that the hitch receiver be no more than 3” above or below the attachment tabs of the baseplate."

I had to add a drop hitch receiver (https://genyhitch.com/) to my Hurricane 35M because there was a 6" difference between the 2 measurements.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #5

THOR #6291
Thank you.