Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile Motor Home Extended Warranty

Post from the new guy.
I hope this is a good place for my question. If not, please move it to the correct area and let me know OR let me know where to post it please.

I found the site last night while looking around in this forum.
Does anyone here actually use this company for your extended warranty?
I see "Wholesale Warranties" from San Diego Cal in here as an add and did a bit of research including contacting them for cost info. The dealer I purchased the MH from offered us an extended warranty for 7 years but it was a King's Ransom for cost. Wholesale Warranties also offers a 7 year extended warranty that looks to cover far more items for far less cost.

So... Bottom line is, anyone here know about or use this outfit for you extended coverage?
I am not trying to start a hate or love issue just asking if this is a known company here and something to trust.
Please advise.
Thanks,
Roy

Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 AM   #2

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
how much is one compared to the other?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:46 AM   #3

THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder View Post
how much is one compared to the other?
Not to be smart or tart but I didn't say because I'm new to this forum, I do not know if the mention of $$ and or companies is allowed AND I was really asking if anyone here actually used the company. ( wholesalewarranties)

I did however say one was a Kings Ransom (LOTS of $$$)(12 to 24 grand depending on deductible) and the other offered far more for far less. (3 to 4 grand depending on deductible) Now look what you did you drug it out of me.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I can not speak about "wholesale warrentys". Have you checked into Good Sam Extended Warrenty, I have always carried them, used the warrenty without much problem. There was talk on another forum awhile back that some warrenty companies are very select on who and where the work gets done. I would read not only the fine print but the very fine print to make sure it works for you.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #5

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I got the Wholesale Warranty when my factory warranty was about to expire. I got quotes from Good Sams and Wholesale Warranty and the Good Sams would have cost me over 2x's more. Do not get a Warranty from the dealer, they just add extra cost. We haven't had to use the warranty yet, but I have seen that they have good reviews.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
You CAN negotiate a Good Sam warranty from your dealer. It's not much fun because it's a pretty high pressure "sell" but if you start by simply refusing all coverage you'll be amazed how the price can come down. We ended up at less than half the cost of the original offering price. You also can negotiate the length of the contract. CW really pushed 7 year whole vehicle coverage and on a cost per month basis it was cheaper than the 5 year plan. I hammered on that and ended up with a five year plan for just $50 per month (60 months). I've had some buyers remorse even still as you can do a LOT of repairs for $3000. I've not had any significant problems with my coach (yet) so I may still cancel the plan. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Site!
Don't worry too much about certain topics being out of bounds; the folks in here are pretty "gentle"...
I went with the Good Sam warranty because it seemed as if getting service from the places that participated might be easier...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #8

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I went with Good Sam Warranty also. Negotiated price that I thought was fair for a 7 year warranty. Will meet the year term far before the mileage term.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #9

THOR #9143
OK, I am talking about Good Sam as being the group charging a King’s Ransom for this product.
For a 7 year plan with a $500.00 deductable, they want $11,670.00. (12 Grand)
IF I wanted the same plan with a $100.00 deductable it would go up to 24 grand.
If I wanted to go to the same plan with a $1,000.00 deductable is $7 Grand.
All of these plans are for a 1 payment plan. If I want to spread it out, of course it will cost even more at the end.
I think this is seriously out of bounds even for those that have deep pockets and little care for where their money goes. Especially when you read the folder they print for you that states we cover this EXCEPT this is not covered and that list grows. We cover this EXCEPT, EXCEPT EXCEPT. This seems to be the normal for most items they list. If a bird strike takes place (or anything else) in the radiator and I had to replace that, it’s NOT covered. I’m sure it has a high cost.
Wholesale Warranties does have some items that are not covered and I understand the items being normal wear items. Belts, hoses etc… They do cover more that Good Sam for a considerable amount less cost.
And I can get Tire coverage with WW for 7 years for $449.00 no deductable, unlimited.
So, again, I am not “complaining” about Good Sam or pulling them down etc… I’m sure they are good to work with but how do you go about working them down in cost? They print you a booklet with the cost and that’s it.
So far, I have one person to say they do have coverage with Wholesale Warranties. Is there anyone else out there that can provide input about Wholesale Warranties?
Would the 1 person with Wholesale Warranties say what and why you decided on this coverage? Any info you can offer? Have you actually used the coverage yet?
Sorry for the dissertation. I’m just trying to gather information from people that have already traveled down this road. Experience is the best teacher.
Thanks to everyone again.
Roy
Old 09-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It sounds as if your decision was an easy one to make!
Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #11

THOR #5641
Tupelo

I went with Wholesales because of the reviews I saw and the price. I have the Exclusionary policy and had them throw in Consequential Loss Coverage, with a $100 deductible. When I bought my MH (at CW) the dealer finance person did the hard sale for Goodsam, for a low low price of around $12,000. When I said that was way to much, they gave me the cold shoulder and said if I went with any other company that they would not accept it. I was fine with that since that dealer was an 1 1/2 hours away and I have since learned not to take my MH into CW anyway. I called Goodsam for a quote when my factory warranty was about to expire, they quoted at around $10,000. Still way to much. Wholesale was less then half the price and can take it into any certified shop.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We ended up paying a touch over $8000 for 7 years worth of Good Sam coverage...
To us: the Peace of Mind that it afforded; made it worth it!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 AM   #13

THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It sounds as if your decision was an easy one to make!
Bob, not really. As far as cost, yes, Wholesale Warranties has it hands down.
I would like to hear from more people that have the coverage with them and know how to find a list of Motor Home shops that use them.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 AM   #14

THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
Tupelo

I went with Wholesales because of the reviews I saw and the price. I have the Exclusionary policy and had them throw in Consequential Loss Coverage, with a $100 deductible. When I bought my MH (at CW) the dealer finance person did the hard sale for Goodsam, for a low low price of around $12,000. When I said that was way to much, they gave me the cold shoulder and said if I went with any other company that they would not accept it. I was fine with that since that dealer was an 1 1/2 hours away and I have since learned not to take my MH into CW anyway. I called Goodsam for a quote when my factory warranty was about to expire, they quoted at around $10,000. Still way to much. Wholesale was less then half the price and can take it into any certified shop.
Dippytwo,
Yes, Good Sam is seriously high dollar.
Do they (Wholesales) provide a list of suggested shops to call on for service?
Is there a guide listing MH shops that could be used for Wholesale customers?
It's one thing to say "Take it to any MH shop that has a Tax number, it's another to be able to locate a shop when you out in the world a long way from home. PS: I'm looking at the Exclusionary policy also.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:03 AM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don't have any experiences with RV warranty service but I've had several dreadful experiences with cars. MANY repair shops simply won't use them. It takes time and energy to get repairs preauthorized and few shops will want to bother. I've been told (more than once) that dealing with the warranty is up to me - basically "we'll fix it if you pay for it and then you can get reimbursed by the warranty company". Trouble is that most plans seem to expressly state that unless the repair is preauthorized there will be no coverage under any circumstances. Sucks. Camping world, for all their problems, are numerous and pretty much obligated to follow their own rules with the Good Sam plans. I think - I hope.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:48 AM   #16

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
It all depends on what YOU are willing/able to do yourself. We've owned this 5er for almost 5 years & the only time it has been in a shop was about 6 months after we bought took it to the factory for several minor warranty repairs, everything else has been done by me. Last fall I upgraded to much heavier tires/wheels & disc brakes for $4k, other than that I've spent maybe $1000 for repairs.
Personally NO on extended warranty just to take to a dealer where it sits on their lot for months waiting to be looked at then several more months "waiting on parts" & pay $8k for that privalidge. To me put the $8k in an account til you need it & not let them use your money.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #17

THOR #5641
Tupelo

Wholesales has a web site, so you just search an area for shops and it will list them. You can do some searches before you buy their service contract. They say that if I have a problem, to call them first, they will either direct you to a shop or you can pick your own shop. When you get to the shop, have them contact Wholesales and let them work everything out. Wholesales pays the shop directly with their corporate credit card, all you do it pay the deductible. I haven't had to use them yet and hopefully I wont, but I like knowing that I have them there.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
When you buy any extended warranty: you're really paying for "Peace of Mind".
How much is THAT worth to you?

Let's face it: NONE of us ever want to find out how good the warranty is...
Old 09-20-2017, 01:55 AM   #19

THOR #9143
Wow, had a lot of people look but only 1 say they have coverage with this outfit. I would have thought there would be more out there.

Thanks anyway.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #20

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Tupelo Kid - here is from some experience. With our first new RV, we were ready to jump in on the warranty. After having the coach for about 6 months, had a fender bender and decided to upgrade versus repair. Got a good deal and went with our current coach. We had enough ownership time that we thought we'd self insure vs buy an extended warranty with the exception of tires. Thor was great in the first 12 months, Ford chassis warranty is 36/36 and I am pretty handy.

In my research in making the decision, I read A LOT. I almost made the jump with one of Wholesale Warranty. What I liked best was unless the part was specifically listed as NOT be covered, it was covered. When you look at the things that can go wrong now with the coach, most are seals and fair wear/tear items. These are not generally covered by any warranty.

So good decision to self insure - at least so far.

Relative to tires - we might have gotten the last good deal. We got a Wholesale Warranty for 7 years and $455. This last summer we had a rear tire punctured by a nail close to the sidewall. Turned it in and followed the procedure - the insurance paid the $555 replacement cost.

Just some words for thought.