Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Oldchief's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
Posts: 358
THOR #4802
Angry Thor warranty problems are nothing new

Doing a little 'Google' research on Thor warranty problems brought up several topics like this:

Open Letter To The Thor Board of Directors - thorowners

Wish I'd done this research BEFORE we bought our Axis. Hoping this will cause others to do their homework before they buy Thor.
__________________

__________________
Oldchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,056
THOR #7035
They need to change the background on that letter.
__________________

__________________
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,968
THOR #1150
Wow their youtube video only has 1500 ish views and its 5 years old. For posting that on the web it sure hasn't had the visibility that I would expect. (Perhaps they didn't do proper SEO and thus googling "Thor Quality" doesn't show that in the top results.)

I see this as an interesting thing: When we first saw an Axis at a show we were blown away by the thoughtful features (like the table storage behind the couch) stuff that was years ahead of our 5th wheel. Now having owned it you look just beneath the surface and you can see where corners were cut and things were overlooked. Having said that we either got a good unit from the factory or our dealer put in some work before we purchased it because we've had very few issues.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
Posts: 116
THOR #7174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
Doing a little 'Google' research on Thor warranty problems brought up several topics like this:

Open Letter To The Thor Board of Directors - thorowners

Wish I'd done this research BEFORE we bought our Axis. Hoping this will cause others to do their homework before they buy Thor.
I would not worry too much I would say Thor is typical...their warranty goal like any for profit company is to pay out the minimum possible. Sometimes you get lucky other times it's just not worth the hassle and you roll up your selves and fix it yourself (or pay out of pocket) Although if you are not handy at all my guess is this RV experience will make you handy pretty quick. Good luck!
__________________
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C
2010 Jeep Liberty
djcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Oldchief's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
Posts: 358
THOR #4802
Today I spoke with Thor Customer Care. Nice guy there pulled up the warranty authorizations from my dealership on my Axis. Turns out he had all the authorization request EXCEPT for the inverter/charger, that was severely over charging my coach batteries. He told me he'd contact the dealership's service dept. to see why they hadn't sent that request. Appears at this point that at least Thor is trying to get this resolved. And, also appears dealership's service dept. has been stringing me along (lying), saying they couldn't get replacement and repair authorization. Well, you can't get it if you don't ask for it in the first place.
I sent an email about this screw up to America Choice RV's corp. office. Just got a call from their general mgr, who wanted to know what was going on. I told him and he assured me he'd look in to it and get it straightened out. Hope so. We'll see.
__________________
Oldchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
Posts: 116
THOR #7174
Yeah the flip side is always the service dept your are dealing with half the time they are the problem. Good luck I had and inverter battery issue as well long story short, bad relay, dead batteries Thor MIGHT cover $500 of a $1500 bill, they are in the wait six weeks to see if the check is in the mail stage right now.
__________________
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C
2010 Jeep Liberty
djcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
State: Colorado
Posts: 12
THOR #8837
Great letter! Thank you for doing that.

I can't even get them to respond to a request for information through their "customer care" website regarding how to get registered as the second owner of our 2016 Siesta 24ST; we have no warranty issues so far . They apparently have no idea what customer care or customer service means. I have submitted that request twice along with requests for plumbing & electrical diagrams for our unit. Absolutely no response. Pretty pathetic "service".
__________________
lildel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Dbadger777's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
Posts: 238
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow their youtube video only has 1500 ish views and its 5 years old. For posting that on the web it sure hasn't had the visibility that I would expect. (Perhaps they didn't do proper SEO and thus googling "Thor Quality" doesn't show that in the top results.)

I see this as an interesting thing: When we first saw an Axis at a show we were blown away by the thoughtful features (like the table storage behind the couch) stuff that was years ahead of our 5th wheel. Now having owned it you look just beneath the surface and you can see where corners were cut and things were overlooked. Having said that we either got a good unit from the factory or our dealer put in some work before we purchased it because we've had very few issues.
Business View Magazine: recently published an interview with Thor, CMO. Jon Krider. In the article he is quoted; speaking of Thor. "So we're at the Mid-low end of the market. We have plenty of Competitors out there that are well into the five, six, and seven hundred thousand range."
Admittedly: It's that mid-low market, that has me owning a M/H at all. I have been pleased with most every contact I have had with Thor customer service. Unfortunately there have been many. I believe that Thor's biggest problem is with there manufacturing process. I recognize that I didn't buy a "Hi" end coach, but If they would just; build it to the prints, tighten every nut and bolt, drive every screw straight, and make sure there are staples in your gun. Those things would eliminate a lot of need for customer service calls.
__________________
Dbadger777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:45 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,358
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Business View Magazine: recently published an interview with Thor, CMO. Jon Krider. In the article he is quoted; speaking of Thor. "So we're at the Mid-low end of the market. We have plenty of Competitors out there that are well into the five, six, and seven hundred thousand range."
Admittedly: It's that mid-low market, that has me owning a M/H at all. I have been pleased with most every contact I have had with Thor customer service. Unfortunately there have been many. I believe that Thor's biggest problem is with there manufacturing process. I recognize that I didn't buy a "Hi" end coach, but If they would just; build it to the prints, tighten every nut and bolt, drive every screw straight, and make sure there are staples in your gun. Those things would eliminate a lot of need for customer service calls.
Well said. I too realize that this is not a high end coach. Installing screws without removing the ones that you broke in half would be nice. That said, fixing a broken screw is pretty easy. Still too bad that I have to do it. Now to deal with that very often discussed leaking tail light fixture....
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:48 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,199
THOR #3610
Welcome to the rv industry! Thor is no different from any manufacturer regardless of price, brand, or model, even the million dollars coaches have some of the same issues.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:48 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,358
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Well said. I too realize that this is not a high end coach. Installing screws without removing the ones that you broke in half would be nice. That said, fixing a broken screw is pretty easy. Still too bad that I have to do it. Now to deal with that very often discussed leaking tail light fixture....
It was a toss-up between spending what we did on the Axis which drove much better in my opinion or spending almost double on a Sprinter Class C. Still think for this family I made the right decision. No offense to those that did the second option....
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:22 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Welcome to the rv industry! Thor is no different from any manufacturer regardless of price, brand, or model, even the million dollars coaches have some of the same issues.
Have you actually had any experience with million dollar coaches or just repeating what someone else said? Just asking.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
Posts: 62
THOR #8845
Our new Ace 29.3 re minds us of purchasing cars in the 1970's and 1980's. Lots and lots of problems and service departments not managed well. Poor customer service too. Never knowing if you were getting a lemon. It may take strong competition to improve the industry. We had purchased an extended warranty. We cancelled it as soon as we took our coach in for minor service work at CW. Figured that money is better saved to fix ourselves.
__________________
edanddonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 631
THOR #6582
The domain "thorownersgroup.com" has expired. Probably in last few days. Did anyone save a copy of the letter? Google used to have a "cached" retrieval for deleted material but that didn't come up in the search.
__________________
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
I've had good experiences with Thor Customer Service. It was my dealer's service department that disappointed me. Since I switched to a small business (mobile RV service) I've been happy.
__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,968
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
The domain "thorownersgroup.com" has expired. Probably in last few days. Did anyone save a copy of the letter? Google used to have a "cached" retrieval for deleted material but that didn't come up in the search.
Try the internet wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170523...nersgroup.com/
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:32 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
WarEagleDan's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
Posts: 129
THOR #5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Have you actually had any experience with million dollar coaches or just repeating what someone else said? Just asking.
All ya gotta do is read their forums! My daughter's Allegro spent more time in Red Bay than at her house the first year she had it.
Thanx,
Dan
__________________
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
State: Colorado
Posts: 12
THOR #8837
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildel View Post
Great letter! Thank you for doing that.

I can't even get them to respond to a request for information through their "customer care" website regarding how to get registered as the second owner of our 2016 Siesta 24ST; we have no warranty issues so far . They apparently have no idea what customer care or customer service means. I have submitted that request twice along with requests for plumbing & electrical diagrams for our unit. Absolutely no response. Pretty pathetic "service".


About 2 hours after making this post I was contacted by Thor Customer Service. I now have the diagrams for 110 & 12 volt as well as plumbing. Still not sure if I have successfully been registered as the current (2nd) owner; however they have supposedly completed that process. They were actually very helpful. Why they ignored my earlier attempts via their own website system is beyond me. But I do appreciate their contact with me and assistance/information provided.
__________________
lildel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:02 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,199
THOR #3610
[QUOTE=Bob Montgomery;86838]Have you actually had any experience with million dollar coaches or just repeating what someone else said? Just asking. [/QUOT
NOPE!! But they're a rv built in the same demographic area as all of the other rvs with some of the same vendors supplying parts, so unless you have proof that they don't have some of the same issues we'll go with that they do.
I do have a nephew that works for Foretravel in Nacodoches that spends his days doing warranty work on their coaches, so indirectly I guess I do have some experience with $1,000,000 coaches.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:41 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Tupelo Kid's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Georgia
Posts: 214
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildel View Post
About 2 hours after making this post I was contacted by Thor Customer Service. I now have the diagrams for 110 & 12 volt as well as plumbing. Still not sure if I have successfully been registered as the current (2nd) owner; however they have supposedly completed that process. They were actually very helpful. Why they ignored my earlier attempts via their own website system is beyond me. But I do appreciate their contact with me and assistance/information provided.
I would seriously like to have all of these doc's for my 2018 Thor ACE. Especially the plumbing doc.
But I do need a diagram for the TV / Cable run. Bedroom TV is not getting a good feed at all and no one seems to know what to do to track down this issue. I sort of think it may be the splitter that runs to the bedroom but most of these must be in the wall or celling. (?)

Maybe Thor will see my tag onto your post and send it all out to me.
__________________

__________________
Tupelo Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×