Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 12:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Georgia
THOR #4592
Thor Warranty Win

A month or so before my warranty ran out I noticed that one of my Seiki TVs had developed several dead pixels. I was resolved to just live with it as I was not looking forward to taking the coach back to CW just to have this small issue addressed. Not knocking CW...just saying. Anywho, I did a little research on the forums here and I read where someone had contacted Thor directly about an issue with one of their Seiki (read “sucky”) TVs and that Thor had just sent them a new TV. So I reached out to Thor and, lo and behold, they were more than accommodating. They had me go buy a TV of my own choosing then mail them the defective Seiki TV. Then they mailed me a check! After reading many negative stories about warranty issues I was pleasantly surprised with my experience. Kudos to Thor!

Old 08-01-2017, 12:39 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb0831 View Post
A month or so before my warranty ran out I noticed that one of my Seiki TVs had developed several dead pixels. I was resolved to just live with it as I was not looking forward to taking the coach back to CW just to have this small issue addressed. Not knocking CW...just saying. Anywho, I did a little research on the forums here and I read where someone had contacted Thor directly about an issue with one of their Seiki (read “sucky”) TVs and that Thor had just sent them a new TV. So I reached out to Thor and, lo and behold, they were more than accommodating. They had me go buy a TV of my own choosing then mail them the defective Seiki TV. Then they mailed me a check! After reading many negative stories about warranty issues I was pleasantly surprised with my experience. Kudos to Thor!
Thor can be pretty nice, they always have been to me! Wish my tv's had developed dead pixels!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:37 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
We got a new TV also under warranty. The main Seiki TV in our coach had two circles in the middle that would show up when lighter color screens would appear when watching. Took it to General RV, who said pick a TV we'll go buy it and Thor will pay to replace it. Picked a Samsung Smart TV from Best Buy. When we picked up the coach the new TV was in it, no cost to us. Thor does do right by their buyers and I would buy another Thor in a heartbeat.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:39 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
They've been good to me as well. Truly, I wish more people would post positive messages about their Thor RV and or Thor itself. We get SO much negative here yet most actual people I talk to in campgrounds are pretty happy.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:05 AM   #5

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Having been around motorhomes since my dad bought a class C on a Dodge chassis in 1986 I'm pretty happy with mine. That's not to say I haven't had problems but overall it's been a pretty good rig so far.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 AM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We bought our Axis new in January 2016. We found the Forum due to a well documented electrical issue we had. On our path to getting our issue resolved, Thor warranty was very helpful as was all the members of the Forum. We are very happy with Thor, our Axis and Camping World, K.C. !
Note..our issue was not a Thor build shortcoming. Our Axis came to CW in K.C. from another CW location...they had robbed an electrical part from our unit and had not replaced it.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
My Windsport had some minor issues during the warranty period, but Camping World (where I bought it new) for the most part just made the problems bigger. Long story short, Thor customer service talked me through replacement of the controller for the levelers and other things that CW couldn't figure out. Thor had mailed me the parts I needed. I am very impressed with Thor and totally disappointed with CW service.

I have to wonder how many problems other Thor owners had that might have been resolved if their dealer's service was better.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
They've been good to me as well. Truly, I wish more people would post positive messages about their Thor RV and or Thor itself. We get SO much negative here yet most actual people I talk to in campgrounds are pretty happy.
Not having dealt with Thor customer service myself, I don't have direct experience. I have read many, many good things about their after sales support and service.

However, a lot of us who have had problems are totally disappointed with the manufacturing workmanship we find when working on our MHs. Something as simple as spending a few seconds with a shop vac cleaning up construction debris, or a 5 cent screw or bolt missing. A few zip ties, etc. I guess we expect better from American manufacturing.

Now, Camping World Don't get me started.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
My experience with Thor Customer Service has been very good as well. I contacted them yesterday morning about the circuit board on my Atwood water heater being defective (the water heater worked on electric, but not on gas). I told them about the troubleshooting I had done, which left only the circuit board as the culprit. Thor Customer Service was most accommodating, and by the next day (i.e., today), a new circuit board arrived at my house. What more could you ask for?

My warranty issues through the dealer (General RV) and Thor have been exceptionally positive as well. Although I wish that a bit more attention could be paid to quality control during the production process, Thor has been very responsive to correcting the problems in a timely manner.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
I have always gotten good service from Thor. Dealer experience has been lacking. They cannot control that. Great to hear other success story!
Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 PM   #11

State: California
THOR #8451
Since we are talking warranty issues. Does it matter where you go for repairs? Planning on purchasing the challenger 37YT and found the best price in Alvarado Texas. I found this surprising since I thought the best price would be in Elkhart where they are made. So since I will be in the Elkhart area 3 to 4 months out of the year for Notre Games, if I purchase in Texas will another RV dealership in Elkhart stand behind any warranty issues even though I didn't purchase from them?
Old 08-02-2017, 11:20 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by char View Post
Since we are talking warranty issues. Does it matter where you go for repairs? Planning on purchasing the challenger 37YT and found the best price in Alvarado Texas. I found this surprising since I thought the best price would be in Elkhart where they are made. So since I will be in the Elkhart area 3 to 4 months out of the year for Notre Games, if I purchase in Texas will another RV dealership in Elkhart stand behind any warranty issues even though I didn't purchase from them?
Although not based on my personal experience, I have had numerous friends over the years tell me that they had a hard time getting another dealer take care of their warranty issues in a timely manner. The most common complaint is that the dealers told them that they take care of their existing customers who purchased from them first.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:29 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Based on what I've read, if you are in the Elkhart area, you need to go to the Thor factory service center. By all accounts they are excellent. The only knock is that at times they are scheduled 3-4 months out, so they aren't going to be the answer for critical issues that can't wait.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Here is a quote from Thor's website:

"Service after the Sale - Many dealers put their purchasing customers first when it comes to getting your coach serviced. You will experience the value your local dealer can add to your purchase."

The closest dealer to my house will tell you flat out if they didn't sell you the coach don't call them for service. If you insist you will get a standby appointment in 6 to 9 months. They do however take verified emergencies off the highway but the have to wait until a tech is free.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #15

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Quote:

You're going to love the floor plan on the YT, ours gives us so much room.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #16

THOR #8451
Wow ok. There is a difference of 17,000 dollars for the same RV. So I will have to decide how often we will be in Alvarado Texas. What do people do if they have an issue while on vacation and nowhere near the dealer purchased from?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #17

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Wow ok. There is a difference of 17,000 dollars for the same RV. So I will have to decide how often we will be in Alvarado Texas. What do people do if they have an issue while on vacation and nowhere near the dealer purchased from?
Or full timers.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:08 AM   #18

THOR #8451
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
You're going to love the floor plan on the YT, ours gives us so much room.

We are newbies and have never owned an RV. So I am sure we will have a huge learning curve. But I also loved the floor plan and the larger bathroom. We will almost be in it full time except for the winter in our vacation home in Arizona. Just wondering if you have had any issues.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
We live in Florida and found the coach we wanted for the best price in Georgia. We're currently having a few warranty items fixed at General RV in Florida. They did tell us that they only service RVs they sold, but they will take warranty work if Thor tells them to. They have treated us very well even though we didn't buy from them.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #20

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Quote:
We are newbies and have never owned an RV. So I am sure we will have a huge learning curve. But I also loved the floor plan and the larger bathroom. We will almost be in it full time except for the winter in our vacation home in Arizona. Just wondering if you have had any issues.
We've had a lot of minor things that had to go back to the dealer 2-3 times for proper repairs.
Check out the black water hook up and make them fix it or you'll never net your hose on, it's offset and no clearance. Look it over very carefully and don't sign any papers until it's properly fixed.
We're starting to love our coach all over again when we didn't have to worry about poor workmanship rearing its ugly head every day.