Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
That video was banned by the NHTSA before we purchased ours.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #62
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry that I missed it...

If you tell me that it was a GREAT piece of fiction: I'd believe you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #63
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
It is very possible that Thor does go through and check every system in the coach, but its just like the commercials "oh I'm only the coach inspector--I don't actually fix them".

"Yup this is wrong, oh look at that leak, hey they slide doesn't move, the black tank isn't connected, the refer is falling off.....ship it!"
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #64

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
When we took the factory tours, the only one that had an inspection line was the large class a line, Challenger and up through the DPs. The Class Cs and the Aces, and such we're just driving out the door to the holding lot. That's what we seen anyway.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #65
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I believe you...
Old 06-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #66

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
When we took the factory tours, the only one that had an inspection line was the large class a line, Challenger and up through the DPs. The Class Cs and the Aces, and such we're just driving out the door to the holding lot. That's what we seen anyway.
When we took the tours of Plants 850 (DP, Challenger, and Miramar) and 750 (ACE, Hurricane, Windsport, and the Camping World-only Freedom Traveler), they started at 3:00 PM and there were very few people working, so it was difficult to see any of the processes. I wouldn't have had any idea whether anyone was doing QC or not.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #67

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
At plant 750 the QC line is inside the second overhead door on the south side (parking lot side). The coaches come off the line at the east end of the building and are driven along the entrance road to the front of the plant and enter back into the pant at the second overhead door. The QC line is in the area beside the storage area for parts and the coach side lamination press. Remember that Thor does not put water on the coach as the are stored outside awaiting dealer pickup. The water lines are air pressure checked. The Thor delivery checklist given to the dealer explains how to complete the fresh water and waste water hookup. If you show up for a tour about a couple hours early and park near personnel gate, you can watch the finished coaches parade to the QC area. We counted 9 ACEs, one Hurricane and 2 Windsports. This was before the factory switched to batch production in 2018.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #68

THOR #11130
Batch production is good. Open Range started that a short few years ago and their quality improvement was noticeable immediately. The assembly folks got to do the same type campers back to back instead of every one coming down the line being a different model.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #69
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But when they "Change Batches...": look out!
Old 06-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #70

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Exactly Mr. Denman. The first few may be shakey.

Based on purchase price, overall quality on our Vegas is good. Just asked wife, she says overall is excellent. She further stated that it is much better than all of the larger new units we looked at that had stuff falling apart. We went to an RV show and looked larger, I liked the Miramar floorplan and towing capacity. The other bigger units were ACE, Windsport, FR3, Vistas, etc. Each had very noticeable issues unrelated to people looking and crawling in them.

We still consider bigger some, odds are against due to horror stories. The Vegas is easy to use, clean and maintain. My only complaint is small shower and washing roof. At this point, we will likely keep the Vegas.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #71
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm just a "Bob"...
Old 06-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #72

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
Did y'all ever get to see the Thor quality control propaganda video that the have showing all the quality checks they do? They show them going thru all the systems, and pressurizing the RV and washing the outside with soapy water looking for air leaks.. I about fell out of my chair laughing...

Our dealer showed it to us while they were processing the paperwork.
comic relief! It's proven I think, that if a salesman can get a customer laughing they will be happier to spend the money.?.?

no, I missed that video I think....

Honestly, I believe that they do have some sort of QC checking going on.... it's just not looking for the things that WE think it should. they are probably checking very few things, and then just for gross problems in a few areas, perhaps regulatory...such as does it have an smoke alarm? check! Does it have a mattress? check!, does it have a sink? check! (not that any of it works, just that it meets whatever requirement so the don't get a fine or whatever)

My guess is that it's all part of their business model
it's probably better on the bottom line somehow to hire druggie day workers and pay them by the unit, tell them to go as fast as they can, don't worry about the details....
then defer a lot of the finer point building and QC work top the dealer PDI and warranty networks
then at the dealer, they business model is to do no more than they have to, to get you to sign the bottom line and drive it over their property line.

It's all part of the plan.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #73

THOR #11130
A lot of these points I brought up in my "letter" to CS. I got the Survey but wrote a letter instead, referencing each item. I mailed it to CSI in Missouri but also sent a copy to Thor HQ. It allowed me to expand my answers beyond their limited choice. One of the issues was placing to much responsibility on the dealer...of whom does not want it. They just want to sell. It went on and on but it was a good summary of the problems we have and why I feel we do.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #74

THOR #8503
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
At plant 750 the QC line is inside the second overhead door on the south side (parking lot side). The coaches come off the line at the east end of the building and are driven along the entrance road to the front of the plant and enter back into the pant at the second overhead door. The QC line is in the area beside the storage area for parts and the coach side lamination press. Remember that Thor does not put water on the coach as the are stored outside awaiting dealer pickup. The water lines are air pressure checked. The Thor delivery checklist given to the dealer explains how to complete the fresh water and waste water hookup. If you show up for a tour about a couple hours early and park near personnel gate, you can watch the finished coaches parade to the QC area. We counted 9 ACEs, one Hurricane and 2 Windsports. This was before the factory switched to batch production in 2018.
When, we took the tours, we really didn't get to see any work being done, there were very few people even there, especially when we did the 750 tour. While we were waiting at the guard shack for the tour guide, most of the workers were checking out to go home. They had to all open any bags, lunch buckets, etc., to show they weren't taking tools home with them. I asked if they were checking to see if some of them were stealing enough parts to build their own and they told me that they were only looking for tools. I guess a good power tool is probably more expensive and works better (therefore more desirable) than a Seiki TV.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 06-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #75
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
...They had to all open any bags, lunch buckets, etc., to show they weren't taking tools home with them. I asked if they were checking to see if some of them were stealing enough parts to build their own and they told me that they were only looking for tools..:
Do you mean that they really do hire folks that are smart enough to use tools?!?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:51 PM   #76

THOR #8503
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do you mean that they really do hire folks that are smart enough to use tools?!?
I don't know if they are smart enough to use them, but they apparently don't know how to steal them.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 04-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #77

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
I had a similar issue with my kitchen - drain tailpipe was 1 and 1/4 inches too short and what the tech (That's unfair to real techs) did was force the drain pipe on to the drain tailpiece and screwed it down tight! well we hit some bumpy roads (imagine that on I-40) and as my wife was letting the sink water out, it started coming out the basement compartment! looked under the sink and saw the big gap. fixed it until we arrived home and off to Home Depot for a tailpiece extension! $6.88 and a little adjustments and we are now good to go. I'm going to check both bath sinks just to make sure the same issue is not present. Love the QA - Thor should ask some of the owners to come QA for a week and see how many units actually get out the door!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #78

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
I was fishing some new cable to my electrical panel and found an entire 4’ length of PVC pipe in the wall, next to the bathroom vent pipe, not connected to anything. As far as I can tell, the plumbing is all installed right- this is just.... extra. A spare I guess- lol.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #79

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
our first night home, all plugged in to water and power, long day so we went to bed. woke up the next morning to find a smimming pool out side and the kitchen slide running water out the seals like a water fall, basement was flooded, with water running over the door seal edges
found the cold supply under the sink to a water filter was held on with a TOO small nipple, wrapped in pipe teflon tape with a hose clamp there for good measure, flexibel hose was 1/8 bigger in inside diameter than the nipples outside diameter..
raised cane and was told all coaches pass a 65psi test ????? bull muffins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	under sink filter2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	16589   Click image for larger version

Name:	under sink filter17.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	16590  

Click image for larger version