Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #21

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M. View Post
While what ya say is true, I actually did NOT say the kitchen sink. I said the bathroom sink. The problem is/was, watching the holding tanks fill while out on a excursion, the gray water had very little as we are discerning campers. So when the water wouldn't go down in the toilet and we find the black water is FULL, end of excursion. Had we have know the water was going into the black water I think we would have done things differently. Nonetheless, I have never owned or would I have owned this one if I had been informed of the gray water going into the black water. Very frustrating.
It's not all gray water. It's only sink water from that bath.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #22

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
As for the Black Tank. My 29.3 ACE does the same thing and I believe most ACE do. My Black tank is only 26 gal and it does not take much to fill it up. You will find a lot of post about water management due to the bath sink going into the black tank. When not on FHU we use the kitchen sink to wash hands after using the toilet. We have gotten used to the problem but then we go to mostly FHU campgrounds. I did buy a tote to take along for road trips that I know will not be FHU.

As for radio its more of a dealer thing other than Thor. I would keep on the dealer to make it right.
Bath water does not go into black tank. Only the sink does.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
If you go to the Owners Research section on Thor's website you can download all the documentation for your coach, including the plumbing schematics and the manual for your radio.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/

You will see that the bathroom sink plumbed into the Black Tank is pretty standard on Thor coaches.

I think there are a couple valid reasons for running the bathroom sink into the black tank.

1) Black Tank's don't always get enough water to get the water level high enough to make sure everything gets flushed out. The bathroom sink is a good way to get some minimal additional water into the blank tank. Add an easy way to add water to the Black Tank before you dump it if the water level is not high enough (2/3 full).

2) Between the shower and kitchen sink, the Grey Tank can get full fast. One less sink helps with that issue. We even use our bathroom sink more for hand washing when we see the grey tank is getting full because the black tank is usually much lower in volume.
Quite a few of the coaches with 1/2 baths sinks go to the black tank
Old 06-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #24

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
...on Thor's website you can download all the documentation for your coach, including the plumbing schematics

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/

Are you seeing schematics? The owner resource is great, but I only see generic manuals on mine. I’ve called Thor and gotten schematics emailed, but not downloadable.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
If you use ODORLOS you will not have a smell problem. I use it for both black and gray water tanks.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Our National, Gulfstream and current Axis all drain the toilet sink into the black tank, we have no probs over 4 days wildcamping, which we do regularly. Liquid in the black is good,you do NOT want to pull the black empty valve and have nothing happen......!
Been there, after using a macerator pump too may times causing 'pyramiding'....
Don't ask, ha ha ha......
Old 06-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #27

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Quite a few of the coaches with 1/2 baths sinks go to the black tank

Our full bath AND half bath sinks drain into the black tank. Shower and kitchen sink drain into the gray. People use a lot more water in those sinks washing hands and brushing teeth than you would think. Use the kitchen sink for some of that stuff...it drains into the gray tank.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: New York
THOR #12544
this is my fifth motorhome, a 2018 thor axis 24.1. never had a problem with black tank filling full so fast. other motorhomes I had, bathroom sink and shower and kitchen sink all went in to grey tank. toilet only went to black tank.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M. View Post
It is apparent that our bathroom sink gray water goes into the black water tank. Found this out the HARD WAY. I have never, ever seen this before. Is this something that THOR thought of all by themselves to further upset me? Is there anyway, other than burning the coach down to get it to go into the gray water tank without a total dismantling of the water system?

Does anyone have the BOSS radio/nav system instead of the OEM Axzerra dash radio/backup camera? According to our dealer, the OEM didn't work so they put in the BOSS because the AXZERRA (SP) was discontinued!!!!! This one (BOSS) keeps going into a "Program Memory Low" Error code. In order to get the dang thing to work again, i have to hit the RESET button which then deletes all of the presets and Nav points I have in it. I wrote BOSS about this and their answer was "press the reset button for 10 seconds" and the radio will then work again!!!!!! What a disappointment this THOR ACE 30.3 has been.
Hello Gary M. we have a 2016 Vegas, at first I thought the bathroom sink water was this plumbed wrong. Then I read on here what others have mentioned to you about the bathroom sink water going into the black tank. No one at the dealership told me anything about the plumbing much less anything else. It does work out for the 2 of us and gives us 4-5 days without needing to dump. Now on your radio issues I have no idea. Wasn't to long ago I learned to shut off the backlight on the radio in the rear. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2019, 02:59 AM   #30

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Bathroom sink drains into our ACE 27.2 black tank as well. Our Gulfstream was plumbed the same way. Very common practice in the RV industry. The old Gulfstream had small holding tanks so when we dry camped we would try to "save" the black tank by washing up and brushing teeth in kitchen sink. With the small 24 gallon tanks the wife and could get 3-4 days without a dump.

Why would you want the radios to operate on 120 volts? Radios run off house batteries in our Thor which recharge with the genny, truck alternator or shore power. In the Gulfstream the radio was wired to the coach battery. Extended use would require starting the truck to charge.
Every new vehicle has a learning curve. Motorhomes and RV's in general have more systems to learn about. This is a good place to start that learning experience with lots of helpful folks. Hope your trials and tribulations fade quickly.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #31
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
The other reason for bathroom sink into black tank (based on floor plan) is that water only flows downhill... My gray tank is under shower... the shower is raised above floor - so at least half the gray tank is above the floor line.... The toilet/bathroom sink are on the other side of the rig. So without a pump... or a drain pipe crossing the hallway at ankle height... the water just isn’t making it to gray tank.
And as others have said - water is a good thing in black tanks.
A bigger issue to me is when toilet isn’t directly above black tank...

As for entertainment resources being 12v - I wish more was...
I added a 12v blu Ray player, and an extra 12v tv so all works without shore power/genny/inverter... When plugged in, the 12v comes from converter, so really no downside I see.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Its pretty common. Especially since the black tank is almost directly under the toilet so its a easy plumbing run. Now that you know you can manage use better and it shouldn't be a problem right?