Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #15194
Thought we had a New Motorhome

It is apparent that our bathroom sink gray water goes into the black water tank. Found this out the HARD WAY. I have never, ever seen this before. Is this something that THOR thought of all by themselves to further upset me? Is there anyway, other than burning the coach down to get it to go into the gray water tank without a total dismantling of the water system?

Does anyone have the BOSS radio/nav system instead of the OEM Axzerra dash radio/backup camera? According to our dealer, the OEM didn't work so they put in the BOSS because the AXZERRA (SP) was discontinued!!!!! This one (BOSS) keeps going into a "Program Memory Low" Error code. In order to get the dang thing to work again, i have to hit the RESET button which then deletes all of the presets and Nav points I have in it. I wrote BOSS about this and their answer was "press the reset button for 10 seconds" and the radio will then work again!!!!!! What a disappointment this THOR ACE 30.3 has been.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while you're aggravated, let us know why you think your gray sink kitchen drain is draining into the black tank.

and yes, many different floor models and designs have differing systems when it comes to where the drains 'go to'.... remember, a black tank and a gray tank are no different, other than the color we call them, otherwise they just collect and hold until you get ready to dump them.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

THOR #15194
thought we had a new motorhome

While what ya say is true, I actually did NOT say the kitchen sink. I said the bathroom sink. The problem is/was, watching the holding tanks fill while out on a excursion, the gray water had very little as we are discerning campers. So when the water wouldn't go down in the toilet and we find the black water is FULL, end of excursion. Had we have know the water was going into the black water I think we would have done things differently. Nonetheless, I have never owned or would I have owned this one if I had been informed of the gray water going into the black water. Very frustrating.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Bathroom sink into Black tank on our
Vegas. My understanding was to keep black tank damp. Appears to be true, unit sat a few weeks with no activity and it stunk terrible. We now put a bowlful of water once a week.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Its very common for bath sink to go into black tank for two reasons. Black tank usually fills slower and can use the water to keep things from drying out. Gray fills fast so sink water isn't needed

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
As for the Black Tank. My 29.3 ACE does the same thing and I believe most ACE do. My Black tank is only 26 gal and it does not take much to fill it up. You will find a lot of post about water management due to the bath sink going into the black tank. When not on FHU we use the kitchen sink to wash hands after using the toilet. We have gotten used to the problem but then we go to mostly FHU campgrounds. I did buy a tote to take along for road trips that I know will not be FHU.

As for radio its more of a dealer thing other than Thor. I would keep on the dealer to make it right.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #7

THOR #15194
thought we had a new motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
As for the Black Tank. My 29.3 ACE does the same thing and I believe most ACE do. My Black tank is only 26 gal and it does not take much to fill it up. You will find a lot of post about water management due to the bath sink going into the black tank. When not on FHU we use the kitchen sink to wash hands after using the toilet. We have gotten used to the problem but then we go to mostly FHU campgrounds. I did buy a tote to take along for road trips that I know will not be FHU.

As for radio its more of a dealer thing other than Thor. I would keep on the dealer to make it right.

BTW, why are all the entertainment things only DC. Another 1st for me that no one bothered to tell me about!!!!
Old 06-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #8

THOR #15410
One Thor we had used to flush the toilet with hot water,
Old 06-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Gray into Black Tank

Our 2016 Axis drained the bathroom sink into the black tank. Looks like it is a pretty common practice so that there is enough water going into the black tank so as to avoid problems. I am sure it is the same way on our S.O.B.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
I have a 2018 Windsport 29 m and ours is the same. Not sure why it's a problem for you. I prefer it like that. With a 40 gal. black tank and only a 40 gal gray tank, we don't full the black tank nearly as fast as the gray so the bathroom sink helps the gray tank with just the kitchen and shower going into the gray tank. Everyone has different needs but dishes and showers fill our gray quick and I for one prefer it! Now that you know this, I guess you can plan accordingly!?!?!?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M. View Post
BTW, why are all the entertainment things only DC. Another 1st for me that no one bothered to tell me about!!!!

It's about power management. You don't have to run the generator just to listen to the radio...some TV's are run through the inverter so 12V system will power them as well.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
If you go to the Owners Research section on Thor's website you can download all the documentation for your coach, including the plumbing schematics and the manual for your radio.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/

You will see that the bathroom sink plumbed into the Black Tank is pretty standard on Thor coaches.

I think there are a couple valid reasons for running the bathroom sink into the black tank.

1) Black Tank's don't always get enough water to get the water level high enough to make sure everything gets flushed out. The bathroom sink is a good way to get some minimal additional water into the blank tank. Add an easy way to add water to the Black Tank before you dump it if the water level is not high enough (2/3 full).

2) Between the shower and kitchen sink, the Grey Tank can get full fast. One less sink helps with that issue. We even use our bathroom sink more for hand washing when we see the grey tank is getting full because the black tank is usually much lower in volume.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Now here you go trying to inject common sense and practical application of information into this rant.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
How silly of me!

Old 06-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #15

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #1929
I have a Freedom Elite 28H. My shower and bathroom sink go into the black tank. We are always at full hookups so it doesn't matter. If anything it helps my draining of the black tank with all the extra water.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #16

THOR #15523
We had a Winnabego that the bathroom sink drained to the black tank. It was aggravating because the black tank would fill up to quick.
And yes there is a difference between the black & gray tank... one holds shit and the gray is used water.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
It is apparent that our bathroom sink gray water goes into the black water tank. Found this out the HARD WAY. I have never, ever seen this before.
Quote:
I've owned 4 RVs (not counting a pop-up) and only the last one is a Thor and a coach. The other 3 were travel trailers. All had radios that ran off DC (never see one run off AC) and two had the bathroom sink going to the black tank. So I don't know hat your experience is but to be upset because the radio runs off the battery and the the bathroom sink drains to the black tank puts you outside the range of normal RV design and experience and certainly is not Thor's fault.

There is plenty to be upset at Thor about in most of their rigs, mostly due to poor quality control, but these issues are not included.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #18

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
The sink in the rear bath in my Thor 35sf goes in the black tank. Don’t know why because the shower next to it goes to the gray tank. So it isn’t not having room to run the plumbing.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:20 AM   #19

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
Dumping the water from the sink in the rear bath into the black tank makes the black tank for the rear bath fill up too quick. The rear black tank is smaller than the front black bath which I have no problem with filling up too fast. Poor design!
Old 06-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #20

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
It is apparent that our bathroom sink gray water goes into the black water tank. Found this out the HARD WAY. I have never, ever seen this before. Is this something that THOR thought of all by themselves to further upset me? Is there anyway, other than burning the coach down to get it to go into the gray water tank without a total dismantling of the water system?

Does anyone have the BOSS radio/nav system instead of the OEM Axzerra dash radio/backup camera? According to our dealer, the OEM didn't work so they put in the BOSS because the AXZERRA (SP) was discontinued!!!!! This one (BOSS) keeps going into a "Program Memory Low" Error code. In order to get the dang thing to work again, i have to hit the RESET button which then deletes all of the presets and Nav points I have in it. I wrote BOSS about this and their answer was "press the reset button for 10 seconds" and the radio will then work again!!!!!! What a disappointment this THOR ACE 30.3 has been.
Bathroom sink into black tank is a common industry standard across all brands.. learn to live with it. Think about how much you sink actually drain into the tank. It is very minimal. Hand washing doesn't use much water.