Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Three Companies to Watch in the RV Industry

This info may be a little dated, but still quite relevant. I knew that Thor was a dominant player in the RV industry, I just didn't realize it was the top player.

From Freedom Focus Reports (link here)

"US demand for RVs is forecast to reach $16.6 billion in 2021. Rising disposable personal income levels will support gains. In addition, sales stand to benefit from population growth among the age cohorts most likely to buy RVs.

While the US RV industry features low barriers to entry, it is dominated by several large manufacturers. Market leaders benefit from the high-value nature of large, well-equipped RVs and are able to capitalize on their well-known brand names. Here are the three leading companies to watch in the RV industry:

Thor Industries

Thor is the leading supplier of RVs to the US market. The company’s sales met over a third of US demand in 2016. Thor’s products include conventional travel trailers; fifth wheels; truck and folding campers; and Class A, B, and C motorhomes. The company owns many well-known RV brands, including Airstream, CrossRoads, Cruiser RV, Dutchmen, Jayco, Starcraft, and Thor Motor Coach. In June 2016, Thor acquired Jayco, which included the Jayco, Starcraft, Highland Ridge, and Entegra Coach brands.

Forest River

Forest River, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, manufactures RVs as well as utility cargo trailers, buses, and pontoon boats. The company ranked as the second leading RV supplier to the US market in 2016.

Brands owned by Forest River include Coachmen, Dynamax, Forest River, Palomino, Prime Time, and Shasta.

Winnebago Industries

In 2016, Winnebago stood as the third largest supplier of RVs to the US market. The company's RV products include Class A, B, and C motorhomes; travel trailers; fifth wheels; folding camper trailers; and truck campers.

These products are primarily marketed under the Winnebago brand name. In October 2016, Winnebago announced it would be acquiring Grand Design RV, a manufacturer of towable RVs."

2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Our biggest issue is campgrounds...they are not growing near as fast as the RV industry. This will lead to us having to manage reservations more in advance and certainly lead to higher prices. One of the biggest benefits of RVing is traveling so economically compared to hotel and motel rates. This will change. The same thing happened to the boating industry. Waterfront property is more desirable for high end homes and condos than marinas. As boat sales have done the same thing...very few marinas are being built. Transient slips are very hard to come by while underway long distances and prices have increased a lot.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: we need to appropriate some golf courses, and start running electric, water, sewer and cable TV hook-ups!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Or you can park two sub 25-ft motorhomes in space of one large one towing a toad.

Just kidding!!!!

P.S. — Industry has been struggling since that article was published. Latest data for first 4 months of this year show sales are down except for van campers.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1560523103
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Humor 21.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	18168  
Old 06-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Our biggest issue is campgrounds...they are not growing near as fast as the RV industry. This will lead to us having to manage reservations more in advance and certainly lead to higher prices. One of the biggest benefits of RVing is traveling so economically compared to hotel and motel rates. This will change. The same thing happened to the boating industry. Waterfront property is more desirable for high end homes and condos than marinas. As boat sales have done the same thing...very few marinas are being built. Transient slips are very hard to come by while underway long distances and prices have increased a lot.
Totally agree Gritz. It is impossible to get reservations in SoCal state parks unless it is our winter season. That is not a guarantee since the snow birds also fill up the sites.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Totally agree Gritz. It is impossible to get reservations in SoCal state parks unless it is our winter season. That is not a guarantee since the snow birds also fill up the sites.

Same issues down here in the Sunny South. Two things are guaranteed...Denny's will be out of fresh lemons and sugar packets (Canadian Lemonade) and campgrounds will be booked for the winter. Campgrounds will also be booked for the summer.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Oddly enough: I was able to book something for July 4th weekend up here, and I've been seeing that sites are still available for Columbus Day weekend...

I guess that New York State just isn't a popular destination.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #9

THOR #11130
They're all down here, Bob!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!