Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
RV Registration by State - Which one is cheapest?

We live in Nevada. Yesterday, we registered our 2021 THOR ACE. State of NV is basing the registration on MSRP. And the registration is ANNUAL. Our total cost for 1 year is a whopping $2,650. We did got around $300 credit from our previous registration on the RV we traded. So we paid $2,350. Every year, the registration cost will go down, but not by much.

For example, when we got our 2015 Class C (MSRP $98K), our initial registration I remembered was around $1,580. Last year we paid $980 (after 5 years of ownership).

So, I would think in 5 year time, our registration will still be around 2K/year. In theory, I will be paying around 20K in registration fees in 10 years.

I remembered reading that there are some states that RV registration is every 2 or 3 years? Can we purchase a small property (piece of land) and register our RV in one of those states?

P.S. I am not asking for a loophole advise. Just want to know if there is a legitimate/legal way to purchase an out of state property, and register our RV in that State. NV is my home state where we live and work.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You need to look into registering in South Dakota. Go online and look at what they offer. You can become a resident in 24 hrs, change over your driver's license and vehicle registrations. Just type in how to become a South Dakota Resident. If you do go forward with the driver's license, you need to spend one night every 5 years to renew it. There are companies that will help you with the process and supply you with an address for mail services.

Paul
Old 12-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #3

Model: Mandalay
State: Florida
THOR #11268
wow some of the states really screw you on the registration of vehicles. Fortunately I live in Fla where I paid 62 dollars for a year but I did buy a 2 year renewal.

I know your saying you probably have a small camper. Nope, 45 footer with tag axle. Florida does not go by the MSRP but rather the type of vehicle. I dont know the formula but for the most part its much cheaper than other states.

I dont know if you can get an address here to call home. Thats an iffy question. Probably not. The last time I moved to a different county my registration had to match my drivers license. Probably something done to prevent what your wanting to do.

Good luck but on the other hand you could move to Florida where taxes are low all over.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You can buy that property.
It's called:
Usurping.
Sometimes it's called:
Fraud.
Many people do it.
Some get caught.

You must have the deep pockets which allow the fines and penalties and possible confiscation to not be a worry.

Oddly enough, people buy property in Nevada so they don't have to pay state income taxes. I have the wherewithal to do such. I do not. Life is a trade off.

We paid $67,000 for our two month old axis. Msrp was $108,000 or $118,000 or something. We pay registration at msrp.

I'm a bit more about personal responsibility for the decisions I make.
I'm being a little harsh because the penalties are very harsh and this isn't a flippant thing to do.
I am not, in any way, against doing what you asked about. If it's a loop hole, jump through. I have jumped through many of them. This isn't one I choose to jump through. My budget isn't that tight.

Signed,
Home state means just that and I pay based on msrp also.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #5

THOR #21278
Unfortunately, NV is one of those states. My wife and I are still working and will not be retiring for another 10 years (at least). We can probably find another job somewhere else, but not after our son finish college (5 years from now).

We purchased this motorhome (and the previous one) in preparation for our retirement. We love to go RVing when we can. But owning one in Nevada is just expensive (registration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman32225 View Post
wow some of the states really screw you on the registration of vehicles.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #6

THOR #12698
I live in California even though I have been looking at the South Dakota idea. I too pay the higher fees here. If I didn't have a home here and lived in my motor home, I would look hard at calling South Dakota my home state and that would not be considered fraud at that point.

Paul
Old 12-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #7

THOR #21278
P.S. I am not asking for a loophole advise. Just want to know if there is a legitimate/legal way to purchase an out of state property, and register our RV in that State. NV is my home state where we live and work.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
There is not unless you're transient, then you get to decide your home of record.
There are instances where the states don't bother much with matching addresses and such.
It isn't even a loophole. It's merely a crack in the wall not worth fixing.
Until you're a target of any sort.
Audit
Traffic ticket
Not going by your states law of an out of state vehicle having to be registered within a certain timeframe in your state.

There's a law saying how long an out of state registered vehicle can be such before you're breaking the law in your home state.

THAT'S the one they'll get you on.
Whatever the dollar amount of a felony is might be the second one.

And all it takes is a little fender bender
And
'why doesn't your registration reflect the address on your driver's license?'

Old 12-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #9

THOR #12698
At this point, you are considered a resident in a state where you live even if you have another house in another state. It is where you live most of the year that constitutes residency. Some states have a 6 month requirement others have more or less time within the state to be considered a resident.

Paul
Old 12-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #10

THOR #21278
Thanks for your feedback folks. It is clear now.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #11

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Thanks for your feedback folks. It is clear now.
Thanks for the thanks.
I considered this quite heartily, as you have. Probably 30 hours and a few hundred dollars worth of research.
I couldn't use the felony on a resume and just didn't need the complication.

If I become transient, I won't hesitate to make my resident state a financially good choice.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I live in a constant State of confusion...
But the good news: no income or sales taxes for it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:50 AM   #13

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Here in Washington state the tabs for our class c run about 150 a year. We don’t have a state income tax so our sales tax is 8.9% so when we bought it we paid about 6k in sales tax. The states are going to get you somewhere. For the most part if compare all the states except for Cal, NY and NJ we pay the same in taxes. It just depends which pocket it comes from.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Ohio is only about $35 for tags. Insurance is also fairly low.

There's a table part way down this page showing the cost by state:
https://www.compare.com/auto-insuran.../vehicle-costs
Old 12-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #15

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Kentucky shouldn’t charge anything. Have you driven their roads. You can sure tell win you leave Kentucky and go into Tennessee
Old 12-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Here in Washington state the tabs for our class c run about 150 a year. We don’t have a state income tax so our sales tax is 8.9% so when we bought it we paid about 6k in sales tax. The states are going to get you somewhere. For the most part if compare all the states except for Cal, NY and NJ we pay the same in taxes. It just depends which pocket it comes from.
I agree: this all comes down to the funding mechanisms enacted by each State. They WILL get your money somehow!
Old 12-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Virginia is one of those states where the tags are cheap but the Personal Property Tax every year can be a nightmare. There are a couple of counties (at least one) that does not assess the Personal Property Tax on RVs and boats that are garaged or stored there.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Which ones?
Old 12-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Virginia is one of those states where the tags are cheap but the Personal Property Tax every year can be a nightmare. There are a couple of counties (at least one) that does not assess the Personal Property Tax on RVs and boats that are garaged or stored there.
Virginia used to (I don't know about now) only charge 2% sales tax on vehicle purchases instead of the normal 4 or 5% sales tax on everything else. But they sure got it back on the annual PPT, plus they gotcha with income tax if you're a working stiff.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #20

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Then there’s property tax which you did not mention
Your WA state property assessment goes up every two years based on the market price (even though you are not selling)

In my communist state of CA, thanks to 1976 law called Prop 13...property taxes are based on 1% the original purchase price and only goes up max 2% per yr

So As an example...
My 92 yr old mother lives in a home with a market value of $3million, but pays just $3500/yr in property taxes (she’s lived in her home 60yrs).

Meanwhile...based on my income, CA state collects income tax from me at a nearly 10% rate.

I pay $650/yr to license my ‘17 Vegas

So the answer is: be a transient with a South Dakota address