Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My 24.1 had an extra long heater vent hose that wraps two sides of the freshwater tank. Some people think the extra vent tubing is thor laziness. I think it was brilliant thought.

Two of my bins now have black tank 12v heaters.
$32ish buys a tank heater, with built in thermostat, for a fresh water tank. If I think it becomes needed, I'll spend the $32 on a fresh water heater.
But
None of this does any good without a viable and regular power source.
I imagine those who winterize are those who store their rv in a storage unit without power available.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I imagine those who winterize are those who store their rv in a storage unit without power available.
I get winterizing in an area where hard freezes even in rarity, i.e. Texas, I get doing this in storage facility and even if RV is kept at home with power, i.e, I have 50 amp service at home, but I still winterize takes me about an hour.

But what I don't follow.... Given that I have winterized, why is it is done for the winter, or until next Spring? This to me is the best time of the year to go camping, (not so hot, don't need the ACs, color of the leaves and visibility of trails etc.)

I have made week long trips with my coach fully winterized. So when I bought gas I had to go inside to use the restrooms as I had no freshwater etc. which is what I would have to do anyway if I had driven the SUV. If weather was nice, then I add water anyway and just winterize again when I get back and put it back in storage facility?

I can truthfully say that I have had my RV in travel this year during 2 two State's worst Freeze and Snow blizzards in 100 years. I was in Dallas, Texas during that crazy hard freeze in Feb 2021 and in Denver CO during the worst snow storm on record for the entire state in 100 years Mar 2021.

All tanks had simply been drained and freshwater line blown with air and 1 cup of RV antifreeze in P traps.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #23

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It can only be
Habit
Peer mirroring
Job being winter intensive.
School schedule
Inability to discern Anchorage from Atlanta.
Fear.

Thise are all valid reasons.
Weather is scary
And
Baseball tailgating is kinda hit&miss in January.
And
Kids come with consequences.
And
Snow plow operators have slow work in August.
And
We won't leave the house if the weather is in negative numbers. It's not worth the risk of finding the heaters failed and we busted a pipe in the house.
And
RV Life magazine said so, so I do it.
And
There are hobbyists of vsrying levels. Some never/seldom travel more than 300 miles from home in their RV. Some do 10 days a year at a certain time to a certain place. My brother in law went to the same campground during the same weeks of the year...for 42 years. One 4000 mile round trip ONCE, 32 years ago, and the family still won't shut up about their heroics involved in it. Bil's been dead for 15 years...son still goes there like religion.

We travel freely in winter.
It's why we have pictures of
Only us at Old Faithful
Only us on top of the Eiffel Tower.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #24

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I get winterizing in an area where hard freezes even in rarity, i.e. Texas, I get doing this in storage facility and even if RV is kept at home with power, i.e, I have 50 amp service at home, but I still winterize takes me about an hour.

But what I don't follow.... Given that I have winterized, why is it is done for the winter, or until next Spring? This to me is the best time of the year to go camping, (not so hot, don't need the ACs, color of the leaves and visibility of trails etc.)

I have made week long trips with my coach fully winterized. So when I bought gas I had to go inside to use the restrooms as I had no freshwater etc. which is what I would have to do anyway if I had driven the SUV. If weather was nice, then I add water anyway and just winterize again when I get back and put it back in storage facility?

I can truthfully say that I have had my RV in travel this year during 2 two State's worst Freeze and Snow blizzards in 100 years. I was in Dallas, Texas during that crazy hard freeze in Feb 2021 and in Denver CO during the worst snow storm on record for the entire state in 100 years Mar 2021.

All tanks had simply been drained and freshwater line blown with air and 1 cup of RV antifreeze in P traps.
Agree. One of the best design features I like about some of the newest Class B vans is the four-season approach of placing 100% of water lines and holding tanks inside the heated space.

As long as inside is kept above freezing (easy enough to do) there is nothing to worry about. Granted, they rely on cassette toilet (or Porta Potty) for black tank which limits volume, and grey tank inside takes up room, but being able to use camper in any reasonable weather is priceless.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Oh no sad to here folks shutting down. As you all know we are in Antarctica
Going to these states this winter

Montana, south Dakota, Iowa ,Missouri ,TN,Kentucky, *TX, AZ,UT , KS
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #26

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We'll keep you in our kindest thoughts and prayers...
Tks!
Old 10-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Click image for larger version

Name:	2042E13A-BBFE-44B8-A0EE-424F296A79DC.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	34260

Name:	59474EF3-CD71-4ECB-AA00-AE5B01AA7874.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	34261

Here’s why I’m glad that I winterised the plumbing two days ago.

First “white” rain of the season.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Attachment 34260
Attachment 34261

Here’s why I’m glad that I winterised the plumbing two days ago.

First “white” rain of the season.
Yes, but no that I have seen questions the needs to winterize, it was why does it have to be put away for the whole season or winter. And that was not to question why anyone would put away for a whole season, but to understand why one might put it away for the entire season.

I think the Duck has listed a number of valid reasons; most of which would have never crossed my mine.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Yes, but no that I have seen questions the needs to winterize, it was why does it have to be put away for the whole season or winter. And that was not to question why anyone would put away for a whole season, but to understand why one might put it away for the entire season.

I think the Duck has listed a number of valid reasons; most of which would have never crossed my mine.
The original post and thread title was about putting it away for the winter, not asking the reasons why.

My pics are to show those in the sunshine states the reason that those of us in the north don’t get as much use out of our units.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:08 PM   #30

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:

But what I don't follow.... Given that I have winterized, why is it is done for the winter, or until next Spring?
You live in a very different sort of place from where I live. Some people, even here, will dewinterize and rewinterize in order to keep using not just the RV, but also the water system. There's certainly no harm in using the RV if it's winterized, without using the water system. Do whatever works for you and your locale!

For us, we have kids, so between school and work there just isn't a lot of time, and camping close to home in the winter (here) isn't great (IMO). Besides, I wouldn't be able to keep my water tank 1/3 full!
Old 10-10-2021, 09:39 PM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
You live in a very different sort of place from where I live. Some people, even here, will dewinterize and rewinterize in order to keep using not just the RV, but also the water system. There's certainly no harm in using the RV if it's winterized, without using the water system. Do whatever works for you and your locale!

For us, we have kids, so between school and work there just isn't a lot of time, and camping close to home in the winter (here) isn't great (IMO). Besides, I wouldn't be able to keep my water tank 1/3 full!
Got it. I knew there were valid reasons, but just wanted to learn a few. The thought that it was a mandatory thing for the entire winter is what turned on my Wander Why Bulb Sounds like it can be optional to go entire winter winterized even in Northern States. I have lived in Indiana and worked in Ohio, I don't recall ever a Winter where I thought my RV would have to winterized the entire winter. I do remember working in Buffalo NY during El Nino and they would get 6 ft drifts of snow in the morning But miraculously the roads seemed to always stay open In Colorado we were in the RV when basically every road & Interstate within 100 miles of Denver was shut down due to Snow & Ice. But had we been in the SUV, we would have had same hardship.

Funny on the 1/3 Fresh water tank thing. We hit 1/3 tank yesterday. We have basic site with no electrical or water, so I plan to drive back with whatever I have left.

If I run out so be it, I will be halfway winterized
Old 10-10-2021, 09:55 PM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post

We are planning a RV trip to Antarctica in Jan if I can ever get a reservation and a break on gas prices

Can I ask why you have asterisks by Texas? Are you afraid of being caught in Hard Texas Freeze

I think Indiana may be as far North we may venture this Winter.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:42 PM   #33

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:

We were just in Bend Oregon for a little trip. Has been in the low 20's at night. The heat pumps do a great job until 45 then we use the propane. Keep the RV at 66-68 no problem. We take many couple day trips in the winter to the Oregon and Washington coast.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:19 AM   #34

THOR #20220
Quote:
We are planning a RV trip to Antarctica in Jan if I can ever get a reservation and a break on gas prices

Can I ask why you have asterisks by Texas? Are you afraid of being caught in Hard Texas Freeze

I think Indiana may be as far North we may venture this Winter.
a mistake
*TX,
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 10-11-2021, 12:20 AM   #35

THOR #20220
Just used pink stuff.. snow here Tuesday. We are in Hawaii first 2 weeks of november..thrn we de winter and hit the road!!!
Old 10-11-2021, 02:53 AM   #36
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Never winterize here in South Bay Area in California. It can get down to 26F and night, but only for a few hours will it be below freezing. I watch it carefully to make sure. I can and do blow the water lines if it is more than six hours.

We have not been able to go out more than two hours from home do to my wife's health problems. She has many. Her blood pressure is been getting to 217 over 108. They know not to put her in the ER for this since the docs in the ER do not know how to deal with her specific problems. Now up to eight blood pressure pills and now increasing do to another spike for three days. You don't want to know how many pills she takes for the other health problems she has. Her doctors don't know how she and me can keep track of them all.

We now have another big slide Swintek problem. I did manage to get it closed with a wrecking bar today pulling on the table as it was closing while I pressed the switch, otherwise it freezes in place. Seems to be twisting again. Front motor stops then starts, but not always. One year in the shop last year for this and we hardly have been out in it since it has been back. I would go to Arizona for the Vroom system, but my wife cannot travel and cannot drive or take care of the dogs by herself at this point. She needs me to take her to the doctors and groceries. So back into, this time, a known great shop. Not the dealer.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:58 AM   #37

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Just used pink stuff.. snow here Tuesday. We are in Hawaii first 2 weeks of november..thrn we de winter and hit the road!!!
We are going to be there in December.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #38
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
We just planned one more before the winter at Defeated Creek (Corp of engineers) in TN. Then it goes where it goes all year long. In my garage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garage 3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	34281  
Old 10-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #39

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
sorta lied

I do have winterizing procedures but I don't have plans for no travel. Here in south AL we'll get some cold weather in January and February, spells that will last a few days with temps in 60-70s between. The cold, low 20s can be problematic if nothing is done so I'll drain tanks, blow out lines, remove filters and disconnect hoses. Sometimes even turn off the water line out to the barns and garden. Don't use antifreeze here. I have a couple of small electric space heaters that I can place strategically is necessary. I've got 2-3 short week long trips before the end of the year, all below the M-D Line. Takes me 15-30 minutes to prep the RV for cold so I don't rush into it. But yes I have turned the A/C off.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
The original post and thread title was about putting it away for the winter, not asking the reasons why.

My pics are to show those in the sunshine states the reason that those of us in the north don’t get as much use out of our units.
Thank you.
I always have wondered why people think that advice is always the best cure for an action that they don't understand.