Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Oregon
THOR #15299
Tire changing

We are new to the motorhome scene, And are wondering on our Thor class a motorhome how do you change a flat tire on it? Do you use the automatic leveling jacks to lift it up and then place the stabilizers underneath?

Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I'll call my roadside service and watch him do it

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Roadside assistance is the way to go. Much safer and less hassle. Whoever your insurance carrier is most likely includes roadside assistance.
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #5

THOR #10354
Tire change

If you really need to change it yourself, there are inexpensive "bottle" jacks available that can handle 3-10 tons for under $30. These type of jack are more difficult to place properly and safely so be aware. Depending upon which tire, sometimes you can use the inside rear tires to repair the outer tires but have your AAA number available if something goes awry. The majority of "leaf" jacks are limited to 1-2 tons so they may not meet your requirements.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
NO!!!! Call the closest tire service. These wheels are heavy and not worth any risk no matter what. Also, get and spare and a good time holder. We got the RoadMaster one. When you do have a flat, don't count on anyone having the size you'll need, have it with you. A swap will be cheap and quick!!!!!
Old 05-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #7

THOR #10354
knucklhead

I agree with knucklehead, use a "professional" to change your tires and let them take the risk of injury. At least they should have the proper equipment.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
We had a flat on a twin axle fiver we owned around 2001 and we didn't have roadside assistance (a dumb decision, rectified right after this incident). We had made it into a campground, and the owner recommended a service company. Guy showed up in about fifteen minutes with a truck containing every heavy duty tool known to man! He had the trailer jacked up, tire removed/repaired/balanced/reinstalled in less than a half hour, and it cost me a mere $75 and one cold beer.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmabobby View Post
We are new to the motorhome scene, And are wondering on our Thor class a motorhome how do you change a flat tire on it? Do you use the automatic leveling jacks to lift it up and then place the stabilizers underneath?
I have Roadside assistance and also carry a spare tire (with rim) a 12 ton bottle jack, and appropriate sockets with long handles, also impact gun (battery).

also practiced in my driveway (not the same as the interstate)

About 10 years ago we broke down at La Veta Pass, CO, bad cell reception, took about 5 calls to get through and had to climb about 50 feet up the embankment. Roadside took over 2 hours, Engine started right up, the cause was vapor lock on a coachman motorhome with a ford 460 engine.

So now I call roadside 1st, if they will be longer then I like I will change it myself.

If you use the levelers to lift the motorhome I would also adds blocks in case they fail
Old 05-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
The only advantage of getting old is you are no longer expected to change the tire. Free Pass

I carry a full spare but no jack.

Heres a bad story. I was at my sons house and he has a narrow driveway with a short retaining wall. I went to reposition my Ram 3500 and caught the right front tire on the edge of the wall and opened it up like a can of sardines. I called the Road Service and they showed up with a Toyota Prius with no tools of any kind and no jack. So when you call ask what type repair vehicle you can expect. Especially in the city.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
In many cases your levelers will get the tire off the ground for changing. However like any other hydraulic jack, its muy no beno to get your body between the ground and the RV without a jack stand. All it takes is one o ring failure at the wrong time.

I carry a dismounted tire (till I can find a deal on a rim), and have road service. I will probably pickup the wrenches to change my tire eventually as well so that I could change a tire if I had no other options.

Tags
changing tires, flat tire