Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2021, 06:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #23351
Xtraride vs Good Sam Warranty ?

Howdy,

We just purchased a 2018 Thor Citation 24SS Sprinter Diesel with 5,400 miles and would appreciate any advise on which extended warranty is best, the Xtraride Platinum or Good Sam Diamond.

Thank You, Ron & Myra

Old 05-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum. No experience with either.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If you decide to purchase the warranty, read each and every line on what is covered and what is NOT covered. They may cover an electric motor but not the other components for a system. You may want to consider just putting the money the warranty will cost into a bank account and use it for the repairs along the way instead of a warranty program.

Paul
Old 05-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #4

State: Wisconsin
THOR #23348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Specht View Post
Howdy,

We just purchased a 2018 Thor Citation 24SS Sprinter Diesel with 5,400 miles and would appreciate any advise on which extended warranty is best, the Xtraride Platinum or Good Sam Diamond.

Thank You, Ron & Myra
I don’t have experience with either one but I am considering the purchase of one of these myself. Unlike the plans offered by the dealers, at least with Good Sam, you can just pay month without interest and cancel at anytime. It’s not bad “insurance” for at least the first half a year or year with a coach that is new to you. You could run into something undisclosed that costs thousands to repair that you would end up paying a few hundred bucks in monthly premiums + deductible. Keep in mind the deductible can kill it. I’m the deductible is typically “per Repair” so if you have 6 things wrong with different components and your deductible is $1000, you’ll have to hit the $1000 on each repair before the plan pays.

I don’t think the old, “put the money you spend on the extended warranty” in the bank applies to everyone. It largely depends upon how much risk you are willing to tolerate. Sometimes piece of mind is worth the money to some folks and that is perfectly okay. I don’t buy them on everything by any means but like I said if you’re shelling out $100k+ on a rig that is new to you it might be pretty cheap insurance. If the rig performs well in your first year, cancel. Good Sam’s is a $50 cancel fee.

Good Sam is an exclusionary policy which I tend to prefer. They clearly tell you what they won’t cover and for the most part the things they don’t cover are the things that would be considered consumable or wear and tear type items. Personally I think the Good Sam plans are written to ensure there isn’t anything hidden and they generally have a good reputation as far as ext warranty products go. Good Sam’s extended warranty didn’t get to be a bear household brand by screwing people over (at least too badly.)

Not sure how much this helps. If you have an insurance agent you work with on your property casualty stuff and have a good relationship maybe ask them to read them both over and provide their perspective.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:30 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Specht View Post
Howdy,

Thank You, Ron & Myra
The warranty is only as good as the dealer or repair place fixing the coach. All warranty work will be done last at the shop, as the warranty labor rate is about 60% of what the shop normally charges. Most warranties to not cover the full cost of a like replacement, such as the radio/nav unit, RV refrigerator, generator.

It is sorta like a tire or battery warranty. If the tire develops a bulge after 10,000 miles and you have 5/32 of an inch tread remaining; you only get a $100 credit on a $300 new tire.
It is amazing the quality and speed of the work on a coach when the owner drives in with credit card in hand.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

State: Wisconsin
THOR #23348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The warranty is only as good as the dealer or repair place fixing the coach. All warranty work will be done last at the shop, as the warranty labor rate is about 60% of what the shop normally charges. Most warranties to not cover the full cost of a like replacement, such as the radio/nav unit, RV refrigerator, generator.
Careful not to confuse manufacturer limited warranties with extended service plans (ESP.) These are two very different things. ESP's generally go above and beyond the limited warranties of a manufacturer. Here is what Good Sam's ESP states:

Good Sam Extended Service Plan is a true mechanical breakdown insurance policy, not a warranty. That means it complies with stringent insurance regulations, whereas some service contracts are underwritten by the warranty provider themselves and are valid only if that warranty provider remains in business. Our Plan is backed by an A+ underwriter. Learn more about the differences between RV warranties and mechanical breakdown insurance.

Personally, I think the Good Sam ESP's are a good value depending on the age of your coach, your financial situation (ability to self insure for major repair expenses), and your tolerance for risk. The older the coach, the more expensive the plan premium but the repairs generally get more expensive over time so it's a risk-adjusted premium. Obviously the higher deductible you have the cheaper the plan.

Read the fine print though as others have suggested. I've attached an example of the terms and conditions of Good Sam's Extended Service Plan for motorhomes. Just an example, contact them and ask for the CURRENT T&C's but this will give you a good feel for what they cover/don't cover.

I did want to correct something I stated in my previous response to the OP. I mentioned getting the service plan and canceling. Keep in mind that when you cancel they state the following:

If I purchase Good Sam Extended Service Plan now and change my mind, can I get my money back?

Yes. If you cancel coverage within the first 30 days, we will refund you 100% of your paid premium, less any claims paid. If you cancel after 30 days, you get a pro-rated refund for all the months that are left, less a $50 Cancellation Fee. We will waive the Cancellation Fee if you use your refund to buy a new Good Sam Extended Service Plan policy for a new rig.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MHG-0916_v4.pdf (341.8 KB, 68 views)