Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2021, 02:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #22044
Tire covers

OK.....so there has to be an easier cover to put on or even a homemade solution to those GD Reflective tire covers that you have to wrap around the tire and then clip two s clips together to hold them on!!!! Please tell me someone somewhere has come up with a better solution...I have seen some people in our neighborhood just put a round piece of plywood against them....will that work...cuz if it does I am in! Those reflective things are a PITA to put on!

Old 05-03-2021, 02:49 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I will have to look at mine to see who makes them. Tension rod holds the cover on the inside of the tire.

Here you go. SnapRing tire sAvers

https://www.etrailer.com/Covers/Cove.../ST7006BK.html
Old 05-03-2021, 02:58 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
X2 on Snapring covers. Easy on and off and won’t blow off in the wind.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:03 AM   #4

THOR #22044
Thanks ea

Thanks EA....these are no better than what I have either mine or theirs you have to put something over the tire....the guy in the photo makes it look easy because he is just putting it over the tire NOT on the rig....but, you don't see him putting it on one that is on the rig.....But, thank you anyways...I always appreciate your answers to my questions...we just came back from 3 days at Meteor Crater in AZ...just a quick little weekend a couple hundred miles away...but, fun. Very nice RV park right by it called of course...Meteor Crater RV park....LOL. Very reasonable prices, 20% military discount, nice big clean showers. Just FYI if anyone is going to Meteor Crater anytime soon!
Old 05-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

THOR #6826
I can’t imagine how something as simple as the snapring cover could be too bothersome but if you’re asking whether a piece of plywood or plastic would work then. yes, it certainly would be fine. The purpose is only to get the tire out of direct sunlight and wood will do that. Perhaps the Magnashield EZ Fold tire shield would be an option but it still requires putting it on....
Old 05-03-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Mine are simply secured with a velcro strap around the bottom...
Just flip it around the back side of the tire, grab it when it hits the other side, and hook it into place.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
We do it a bit differently, attached 2 pieces of rather heavy chain to each cover and toss the chain behind the tire. Been 2 years and we haven't lost one yet and the wind really blows here in the pass area. Got the idea on IRV 2.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #13710
That was about 12" chain to each grommet. It's heavy grade chain. Takes maybe 10 minutes to cover the tires.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I can’t imagine how something as simple as the snapring cover could be too bothersome but if you’re asking whether a piece of plywood or plastic would work then. yes, it certainly would be fine. The purpose is only to get the tire out of direct sunlight and wood will do that. Perhaps the Magnashield EZ Fold tire shield would be an option but it still requires putting it on....
If you have 3 1/2 to 4 inches clearance between the tires and the cowl, then it is easy to put the snap rings on and off. I do not have that space. I can just get my hands almost in with my fingers trying to clench the snap ring and push them on over the tires. If I don't put them on prior to dumping the air bags and turning the engine off, I cannot even attempt putting them on. So it depends on the clearance. I purchased them so I am using them. When they wear out I will do the heavy chain thing. That being said, if you have the clearance I would get them.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:56 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
I prefer simplicity.... I've used these for two years so far, and no complaints. They have Velcro straps to hold the "back-side" - but I've never used them. Even here in hurricane territory, the wind has only removed one of them - once.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-03-2021, 11:24 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Why use covers at all? I have been RVing since the 1980s and never use covers on my tires. Do you also put covers on the tires of your automobiles? How about your tractor? I think RV tire covers are a gadget designed to remove money from your wallet more than to protect your tires. If you are adhering to "tire rules" from an RV forum you are probably replacing your tires every 5 to 7 years any way, so why bother covering them?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:31 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
This is a fair, practical and astute observation. Are you sure you're an LT - and not an NCO?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:01 AM   #13

THOR #6826
LtKeefer makes a fine point and probably correct. But I choose to cover mine whenever it’s in storage and not being used for longer than a week or two because it’s a cheap, easy, logical precaution. Not unlike changing oil every 5,000 miles even when the book says 7500. Tires lead a hard life - especially RV tires - and if something easy will reduce the stress on them I’m all for it. And I plan to replace them at 5 years too.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:15 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Why use covers at all? I have been RVing since the 1980s and never use covers on my tires. Do you also put covers on the tires of your automobiles? How about your tractor? I think RV tire covers are a gadget designed to remove money from your wallet more than to protect your tires. If you are adhering to "tire rules" from an RV forum you are probably replacing your tires every 5 to 7 years any way, so why bother covering them?
To keep the grass clippings off my wheels when I cut the grass next to the coach. No that it gets stored elsewhere the dirt splashes up when it rains.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:18 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
To keep the grass clippings off my wheels when I cut the grass next to the coach. No that it gets stored elsewhere the dirt splashes up when it rains.
That's what the leaf blower's for!
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:19 AM   #16

Model: 2018 Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #14061
I bought 30 ft.of bungie cord and hooks and made my own to fit around the tires to hold my homemade covers on.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:47 AM   #17

THOR #22044
Thx bob
Old 05-04-2021, 04:55 AM   #18

THOR #22044
lol picture...true that...retired usmc msgt here!!!
Old 05-04-2021, 05:11 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
That's what the leaf blower's for!
Takes longer than putting on the covers. I’ll do it my way, it works.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #20

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Been using 303 spray on my tires for years and has worked until time to change the tires. I use it on the awnings also. I apply it every few months due to the strong and constant FL sun.