Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2020, 02:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
ACE vs Hurricane

Been looking at new units and am really liking the ACE 33.1 but also ran across the Hurricane 32T which also seems like a very nice unit and a little bit shorter than the ACE 33.1 but has the theater seats and a Fireplace too .

So many reviews say stay away from the Hurricane line that it is one of Thors most problematic models.

Any truth to that or is it one of those past stories that keeps roiling along? Any comments from any Hurricane users?

Also how about you A.C.E. owners? We really do like those models. Seems like a lot of "bang for the buck".

Appreciate any input. Were not in a hurry. Just looking for input. I really rather wait for a 2021 model with the new warranty and the new Ford V8 anyway.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-15-2020, 02:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Been looking at new units and am really liking the ACE 33.1 but also ran across the Hurricane 32T which also seems like a very nice unit and a little bit shorter than the ACE 33.1 but has the theater seats and a Fireplace too .

So many reviews say stay away from the Hurricane line that it is one of Thors most problematic models.

Any truth to that or is it one of those past stories that keeps roiling along? Any comments from any Hurricane users?

Also how about you A.C.E. owners? We really do like those models. Seems like a lot of "bang for the buck".

Appreciate any input. Were not in a hurry. Just looking for input. I really rather wait for a 2021 model with the new warranty and the new Ford V8 anyway.

Thanks in advance
Major problems with the Ford V8. Go with the V10 or wait a couple years.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:43 AM   #3

Model: 29 M Hurricane
State: Florida
THOR #14300
Ace vs Hurricane

Been pretty happy with our 2019 29M Hurricane. Just turned over 10,000 miles. We’ve had it for about 18 months and went thru the first year getting A few bugs out but overall I’ve been Satisfied with the performance and how everything has worked. My dealer and Thor have been very responsive and have taken care us. We did pull out the sleep sofa and added RecPro recliners.
RecPro Recliners
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:57 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Go with your heart because only you know what you want in an RV.

I tried hard to buy a brand new ACE 29.3 and a brand new Windsport /Hurricane 27B. Dealer and I could never agree on damaged items that needed to be fixed. Had nothing to do with the way Thor made either coach, but what happened to the RV while sitting on the lot waiting to be sold.

If you asking my opinion if I had a choice all things being equal; I would select a Windsport or Hurricane over the ACE everytime. If you compare the details, the Hurricane will actually give you more bang for the buck; but granted it does cost more than the ACE, but there is a reason for that.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:05 AM   #5

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilobob View Post
Been pretty happy with our 2019 29M Hurricane. Just turned over 10,000 miles. We’ve had it for about 18 months and went thru the first year getting A few bugs out but overall I’ve been Satisfied with the performance and how everything has worked. My dealer and Thor have been very responsive and have taken care us. We did pull out the sleep sofa and added RecPro recliners.
Are you able to recline the RecPro recliner when the slide is end?

Had the 29M been about 6 inches shorter and the ladder on the left side, I may have been a Hurricane 29M owner. I store my RV at home and my storage pad is exactly 30' 3" before it extends out into alleyway. I almost conceded and bout the 27B that would have fit, but I did not like the flip up bed, it had no outdoor kitchen and it had separate drains and compartment bays for the Gray & Black tanks.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Go with your heart because only you know what you want in an RV.
I agree about 157%!
Old 08-15-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The ACE, Hurricane, and Windsport are all built at the same plant by the same people. It's like the difference between a Chevy, a Buick, a Pontiac. The ACE is the Chevy - cheaper to buy with less bling than the Buick or Pontiac.

I'm a cheap guy so I have an ACE - it's functional and meets my needs. If I had the opportunity to buy a Hurricane or Windsport with the same floorplan/functionability at about the same price I would have one of those and enjoyed the "upgraded" features.

So ignore the rumors , find what works for you, and do a thorough PDI.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #8

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The ACE, Hurricane, and Windsport are all built at the same plant by the same people. It's like the difference between a Chevy, a Buick, a Pontiac. The ACE is the Chevy - cheaper to buy with less bling than the Buick or Pontiac.

I'm a cheap guy so I have an ACE - it's functional and meets my needs. If I had the opportunity to buy a Hurricane or Windsport with the same floorplan/functionability at about the same price I would have one of those and enjoyed the "upgraded" features.

So ignore the rumors , find what works for you, and do a thorough PDI.

We don't call it cheap, instead we consider ourselves "practical"

Actually one of the things we do like about the ACE is the absence of that big front "$3000" window. We have been out west a lot and have had to cope with the phenomenal heat gain it causes. The view on our Vegas is great until we have to park with that window facing west! Just recently I installed insulated curtains between the cab and living area. BIG BIG heat and cold relief !
Old 08-15-2020, 07:13 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree about 157%!
I wonder if I had advised OP to go with "heart and soul" if I could have got 200% agreement

Buying an RV is kind of like finding a job, you have great ideas of what you want, but sometimes opportunity knocks. When you listen; you getting to decide is greatest freedom of owning your RV.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #10

Model: 29 M Hurricane
THOR #14300
Ace vs Hurricane

With the slide in we can only partially extend the RecPro recliners. Plenty of room to access and get around.
RecPro Recliners
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #11

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #18602
We have a 2020 ACE 33.1 and absolutely love it. My biggest complaint is that there is no door you can close to separate the lounge area from the back of the coach. It does have a pocket door on the bathroom and bedroom, but, if you step out of the bathroom into the hall you are vulnerable .
Old 08-16-2020, 12:24 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky5924 View Post
We have a 2020 ACE 33.1 and absolutely love it. My biggest complaint is that there is no door you can close to separate the lounge area from the back of the coach. It does have a pocket door on the bathroom and bedroom, but, if you step out of the bathroom into the hall you are vulnerable .
We put a ceiling track at the back of the living area to hang a curtain between the living area and the bathroom hallway. You can do the same thing from the bathroom outside wall corner with the TV across to the kitchen counter. When not being deployed it would hang at the corner by the TV.

Pick your color and length - you will only need one panel:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y4GI9K/

Here's the track I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC4UYI/
I paid $14 for it. It's listed at normal prices from $6 to $10 at several places online. I don't know why Amazon, Walmart, and Ebay have it listed for over $100.

And these are the carriers for the track above:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCAELQ/

I paid $6 for mine, price seems to have doubled.

You may need to locate a different track and carriers.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:00 AM   #13

THOR #6513
Quote:

By george you are right. Had not noticeed that.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #14

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
We put a ceiling track at the back of the living area to hang a curtain between the living area and the bathroom hallway. You can do the same thing from the bathroom outside wall corner with the TV across to the kitchen counter. When not being deployed it would hang at the corner by the TV.

Pick your color and length - you will only need one panel:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y4GI9K/

Here's the track I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC4UYI/
I paid $14 for it. It's listed at normal prices from $6 to $10 at several places online. I don't know why Amazon, Walmart, and Ebay have it listed for over $100.

And these are the carriers for the track above:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCAELQ/

I paid $6 for mine, price seems to have doubled.

You may need to locate a different track and carriers.
Man. I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Man. I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the idea.
No problem. We've always done something similar in all our RVs as we frequently camp with children and grandchildren.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: California
THOR #4768
Rich K

We looked at both the Hurricane 34J and the Ace 32.3. Very similar floor plans, but the Hurricane just felt a little more solid when driving. The extra couple of feet in the galley also helped us choose the Hurricane.

We have had our 2017 model for 4 years now with 22K miles on it as we have traveled through nearly all of the western states. There were a few items like the transfer switch and inverter that we had taken care of within the first year, but otherwise, it has been a good coach. Not saying that all are good, but we have been very satisfied with ours so far.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #17

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Ive seen way more ACE problems than Hurricane....starting with leaks. No coach is great. Posted often...they all have problems....no matter what company or the cost. ...and I mean the big names....and the Huge bucks...If you dont like to deal with problems .....stay away from RVs. Lots of newbies wil have their new purchases on craigs list in a short time....dealers only tell you the warm and fuzzies...and then they push you out the door after they have your check
Old 08-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #18

Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Major problems with the Ford V8. Go with the V10 or wait a couple years.
Pardon my ignorance, but what V8? As far as I can tell from the Specs both the ACE and the Hurricane use the V10.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:47 PM   #19

State: Arkansas
THOR #19914
2021 has a V8 with more horsepower than the previous V10. I just bought a 2021 ACE 33.1. Haven’t used it so can’t say much. We love the floor plan though.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #20

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishging View Post
2021 has a V8 with more horsepower than the previous V10. I just bought a 2021 ACE 33.1. Haven’t used it so can’t say much. We love the floor plan though.

Ive been very interested in the new warranty Thor is offering starting in 2021 models. So I'm holding off so far for the 2021 although I'm very temped to bite on some of the 2019 and 2020 bargains

Have you had any problems yet with the new v8? So far they appear to be having spark plug wire and coil issues. A lot of these have been parked because they have run out of replacement parts on this issue. Quite a few JAYCO user have only gotten 400 or 500 miles before the computer shut it down.

Personally I would just as soon have the V8 in the long run since its design is mechanically simpler. With that said the V10 is a bullet proof proven engine.