Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34j hurricane
State: Arizona
THOR #20884
Tire pressure

Tire question: when I leave Ohio all tires are set at 95psi. Half way to Florida I’m up to 118 psi and up. Once in Florida for a week the tire are still the same. When coming back home do I leave them or let air out to 95psi. Thanks

Old 03-09-2021, 11:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Check and set tire pressure when the tires are cold regardless of your location. Tire pressure increases as the temp increases and the tires heat up.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:29 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
What he said. Check your pressures in the morning before you start your days travel. Don't worry so much about what they get up to by the end of the day.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:40 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Good advise from the EA37 and the Lt.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:28 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Check and set tire pressure when the tires are cold regardless of your location. Tire pressure increases as the temp increases and the tires heat up.
Does it matter if you set it in the morning when it is 30 degrees outside (and tires are cold from no movement) versus when it is 60 degrees outside (and tires are cold from no movement)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:39 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Does it matter if you set it in the morning when it is 30 degrees outside (and tires are cold from no movement) versus when it is 60 degrees outside (and tires are cold from no movement)
Yes it does matter. Check them in the morning before the days travel begins.

Ever had low pressure alarms in a car when the temp outside dropped overnight? Common occurrence in my area during the winter with the first cold snap.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:57 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Yes it does matter. Check them in the morning before the days travel begins.

Ever had low pressure alarms in a car when the temp outside dropped overnight? Common occurrence in my area during the winter with the first cold snap.

I guess I should have explained where I was going or asked my question better.

I normally have all six tires set at 82, because that is what is in the RV.

But I heard or learned that 85 on front and 80 on the rears would make my F-53 ride smoother.

When I wanted to make the pressure adjustments it was 70 degrees outside but the tires were cold as they had not moved all day.

Since outside temperature was not cold (like early morning) I just made some assumptions

I put set the fronts at 87 psi and the rears at 83 psi My thinking is that when outside temperature dropped the fronts would be at 85 and the rears would be at 80?

Does that make sense?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-10-2021, 03:09 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I guess I should have explained where I was going or asked my question better.

I normally have all six tires set at 82, because that is what is in the RV.

But I heard or learned that 85 on front and 80 on the rears would make my F-53 ride smoother.

When I wanted to make the pressure adjustments it was 70 degrees outside but the tires were cold as they had not moved all day.

Since outside temperature was not cold (like early morning) I just made some assumptions

I put set the fronts at 87 psi and the rears at 83 psi My thinking is that when outside temperature dropped the fronts would be at 85 and the rears would be at 80?

Does that make sense?
Yes, that makes sense. I am not sure about the exact numbers, but pressures will decrease as outside temps drop.

II actually establish a range based on MH recommendation and tire manufacturer's weight to pressure tables. My current rig says 110 and the Michelin recommends 90 based on weight. My range is 90 - 100 PSI. At an outdoor temp of 60 degrees I can set my tires to 95 PSI and be good from 30 degrees to 100 degrees outside temp.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:15 AM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
You need individual weights or at a minimum axle weights

If a tire set at 95 psig gets up to 118 psig quickly you might be loaded close to your tire load chart

However you noted they stay at 118 cold in the shade?

Per the other comments set them cold, per your load chart and I like a minimum of 10 psig over but many go 5 psig above

I don't ever run extremely hot tires on anything and I would watch your tire temperature if traveling on 100 degree days
Old 03-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #10

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17925
Tire Pressure

I am going to buy tire pressure monitor system and the crossfire setup and need to know the exact tire pressure to set my tires at. When I ask Thor they tell me to always run what is listed inside the RV on the sticker. I am concerned about running a tire pressure too high because it might ride harder when driving. Am I over thinking this? K.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Meckes View Post
I am going to buy tire pressure monitor system and the crossfire setup and need to know the exact tire pressure to set my tires at. When I ask Thor they tell me to always run what is listed inside the RV on the sticker. I am concerned about running a tire pressure too high because it might ride harder when driving. Am I over thinking this? K.

Maybe... but it’s not really complicated. Get your unit weighed either on each corner or each axle. Then go online and get the tire pressure table for your specific tire model and size and do what it tells you. Perhaps run a few pounds over if you feel the need for a safety margin. You probably will notice that the pressure recommendation on your Thor yellow sticker will closely match the table’s number for your coach when it is at the maximum GVWR. My yellow sticker calls for 92psi front and rear. The table wants me at about 85 based on my actual weight. I set my cold pressures at 89-90. My table looks like this. Yours may be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3332.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	29066  
Old 03-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Meckes View Post
Weight your coach and then set the pressure to the tire manufacture’s weight to pressure tables.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I never set my tire pressures above the chart for my size tires. The tire companies have done more research than any of us and have determined what the safe pressures are for associated weights. The have tested for life of tire carcass, tread wear and weight carrying capability. The chart reflects the happy medium for all those factors. Increasing pressure will surely compromise one aspect of their testing. Do you want to take the chance on which one will fail for you?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:23 AM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Interesting how we in the RV world discuss tire psig

We ran all kinds of rigs and associated tires, most 14 ply or heavier same as a large Class A

On the F550 pickups 14 ply or higher as well

Never did lower a tire pressure because we had 75% load or didn't have a back haul

Hauling cattle we typically ran empty 60% of the time

Does anyone really think truckers adjust their tires each trip based on % load, empty or loaded to the max?

Typically you set the tires psig based on the load, axle rating, tire rating and use

Normally that was close to or at cold sidewall maximum psig

Why, because the tires failed if they were under inflated and over heated

You don't want a load with a high center of gravity on a squishy tire

Most blown tires are fron road Hazzard or under inflation and over heat

My Tuscany placard states 120 psig howver my weight and tire chart shows 100 psig

The coach handles well at 100-120 but doesn't swerve/move noticeable when running 110 or higher

I run 120 in the front and 110 on the drive and tag

Drives great, tires stay cool in summer, wearing very well

Do what works you and watch your tire Temps and how it handles
Old 03-14-2021, 02:43 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I never set my tire pressures above the chart for my size tires. The tire companies have done more research than any of us and have determined what the safe pressures are for associated weights. The have tested for life of tire carcass, tread wear and weight carrying capability. The chart reflects the happy medium for all those factors. Increasing pressure will surely compromise one aspect of their testing. Do you want to take the chance on which one will fail for you?
If I ever get back home safely, I am going back to the Yellow sticker 82 psi for all 6 tires.

Before this trip I went to 85 psi front and 80 psi on the rear. My ride is no smoother and may be worse? I follow why it make seem on paper to have less air in the rears but I can't feel the difference. My return trip will be lighter so I will give it one more chance before giving up.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #16

THOR #6826
Quote:
If I ever get back home safely, I am going back to the Yellow sticker 82 psi for all 6 tires.

Before this trip I went to 85 psi front and 80 psi on the rear. My ride is no smoother and may be worse? I follow why it make seem on paper to have less air in the rears but I can't feel the difference. My return trip will be lighter so I will give it one more chance before giving up.

If your sticker says 82 but your weight chart put you at 85 you might be overloaded. Could explain why you seem displeased by the handling.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
If your sticker says 82 but your weight chart put you at 85 you might be overloaded. Could explain why you seem displeased by the handling.
I concede I have not weighed my RV nor have I referred to a weigh chart, so I may not ever get the most optimum results.

What I did was go by another thread where it was recommended for similar F-53 as mine where they had 85 in front and 80 on back.

To be honest and I hope I am not braking some RV Man Law, I don't believe weight will ever deviate much on my RV, we may have been a tad heavier than normal on this trip as we brought a few things for our son.

But I don't want to have to check my weight each time to set my tire pressures

With that said, I will drive back with same tire pressures and we will be lighter for sure. I may have an epiphany coming
Old 03-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #18

THOR #6826
Quote:
I concede I have not weighed my RV nor have I referred to a weigh chart, so I may not ever get the most optimum results.

What I did was go by another thread where it was recommended for similar F-53 as mine where they had 85 in front and 80 on back.

To be honest and I hope I am not braking some RV Man Law, I don't believe weight will ever deviate much on my RV, we may have been a tad heavier than normal on this trip as we brought a few things for our son.

But I don't want to have to check my weight each time to set my tire pressures

With that said, I will drive back with same tire pressures and we will be lighter for sure. I may have an epiphany coming

Well, I’d recommend getting it weighed at least once just so you’ll know. For most of us the weight doesn’t change much over time but the baseline is pretty interesting. In my case I’m well balanced front to rear and about 500 - 600 lbs under GVWR at each end. My tables want me to be under the yellow sticker number by nearly 10%.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:08 PM   #19

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
This is not complicated!
The rv or tire manufacturer have provided the optimum tire pressures for your rv posted in the RV or on the tire sidewall.
Inflate cold, meaning 1st thing in morning before traveling regardless of outdoor temp, to one of those pressures & DONE. When you start deflating due scaled weights you will also see tire temps rising & possibly squirrelly handling due to being under inflated.
Getting the rv weighed is a good idea so you know for sure, but for me it wouldn't affect tire pressures, they'd be at either the rv or tire recommended pressure for optimum tire wear, cooling & handling.
As far as ride, your rv is on at minimum a 1 ton truck chassis so don't expect a Cadillac ride.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #20

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
This is not complicated!
The rv or tire manufacturer have provided the optimum tire pressures for your rv posted in the RV or on the tire sidewall.
Inflate cold, meaning 1st thing in morning before traveling regardless of outdoor temp, to one of those pressures & DONE. When you start deflating due scaled weights you will also see tire temps rising & possibly squirrelly handling due to being under inflated.
Getting the rv weighed is a good idea so you know for sure, but for me it wouldn't affect tire pressures, they'd be at either the rv or tire recommended pressure for optimum tire wear, cooling & handling.
As far as ride, your rv is on at minimum a 1 ton truck chassis so don't expect a Cadillac ride.

So why do you think the tire manufacturers provide a table for recommended pressure based on actual weight? The number on the tire sidewall is always the maximum permissible pressure for the tire. Not a recommended pressure.