Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Progressive Surge Protector Question

First let me say I respect electricity and anyone that works on it (something I will not do if possible). With that said this past weekend I went to use my Surge Protector, it ran all the diagnostics and showed 120V but no power to the inside of the unit. When I got home I hooked it up to shore power from the house, it ran all the diagnostics and showed 120V and power inside the unit. This has happened at three different Camp Grounds.
My question to the more electrically inclined is: could one-half (or one side) the Surge Protector be bad. I think I understand that the 30amp plug has 2 potential live lines into the Surge Protector but only one is live and used by the RV? If so, can the bad side of the Surge Protector be fixed or is the Surge Protector now junk?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
On a 30 amp 120v socket, there is 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground. Just like many house plugs accept this one is 30 amps not 15 or 20 like around the house. The extra hot wire comes into play on a 50 amp socket which has a second hot wire and supplied 240V when measured from one hot to the other. If you are using a 50amp to 30amp adapter or "dog bone" as some call it, then the extra hot wire is isolated in the adapter as it is not needed on the out going 30 plug. If you are comfortable with using a voltmeter you may be able to investigate more or perhaps tech support could assist. I'm not familuar with that product and its indicators.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Are you using a model EMS-HW30C or similar "Electrical Management System" or is this a more basic surge protector? The Progressive Industries EMS devices will display an error code to tell you why power is not being applied to your RV. In normal conditions, where power is OK, the code will be "E0". Any other code (such as "E2" which indicates an open ground, for example) will prevent the power from being automatically connected to your RV.

If you see the problem at multiple campgrounds, as you said, it could also be that the power cord or the power outlet that is part of your RV has a bad ground wire or some other issue.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #4

THOR #2142
Okay, I have the Surge Guard Rv Power Protection Model 34830 by TRC (not sure where I came up the the other name above). I just went outside and when plugged and power is turned on, it runs thru a series of tests, takes some 128 seconds then the Power On light turns green, the Protector says: RV=On, L1=118V, 118V 0 Amp and now (here at home) there is no power into the RV. When I remove the Surge Protector and plug straight from shore power (here at home) to the RV all is good, power to the RV.
Is it possible that the female plug on the Protector is defective?

Doc

Old 08-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Okay, I have the Surge Guard Rv Power Protection Model 34830 by TRC (not sure where I came up the the other name above). I just went outside and when plugged and power is turned on, it runs thru a series of tests, takes some 128 seconds then the Power On light turns green, the Protector says: RV=On, L1=118V, 118V 0 Amp and now (here at home) there is no power into the RV. When I remove the Surge Protector and plug straight from shore power (here at home) to the RV all is good, power to the RV.
Is it possible that the female plug on the Protector is defective?

Doc
Something downstream of the surge protection in the unit - as you said - passing all the tests and turning the power to RV 'on'...
Check the plug with voltmeter... Hot to neutral should read 110... as should hot to ground... neutral to ground should read 0.
Could be the female socket - or wiring leaving the Surge Guard to the socket - worth a contact to the manufacturer - as I don't believe yours is that old...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #6

THOR #2142
GMC, I just checked the manufactors site, called the number, closed for the day. Will try again tomorrow.
Thanks.

Doc