Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #4813
Does anyone have a video of a CHF rear sway bar and recommendation on a steering stab

I own a 2016 Thor Challenger LX and am interested in changing the rear sway bar. Was trying to find a video of a CHF that someone has done themselves. Also interested in installing a steering trac/stabilizer to the front. Any suggestions on which brand works best?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I haven't seen any videos showing the rear F53 sway bars either. They are pretty straight forward as you just top the two on both sides to complete the rear CHF. If you would like, I can take some pictures of my completed rear sway bar?

Also, for steering stabilizer, I would recommend the Safe T Plus. I think they all do about the same thing, the reason I recommend the Safe T Plus is because it is the only one that I know of that has a life time warranty.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #3

THOR #4813
That would be great! Thanks!
Old 12-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Here are the pics. I even drew yellow around the bolts you need to swap. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161204_160405.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	3468   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161204_160423.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	3469  

Old 12-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Breen, once you look under the coach you'll see what everybody is talking about, very simple modification, worst part ic crawling under the coach.

You will need a 15mm box wrench, 18mm socket, torque wrench set at 65 ft/lbs, scissor jack to move the sway bar up if it is tight, and some patience! If you are parked on level ground there is no tension on the sway bar. The bolts on my bar links were frozen, had to use penetrating oil to get them free.

If you go to you-tube and search F-53 CHF there are several videos, but none show the work actually being done. The pictures Techn0 posted are very good at showing what you will be seeing. Took me about 2 hrs, mostly because of the frozen bolts. Only had to use the jack on the front bar. While you're there check the bar mounts in the rear, several reports of them being loose. After you experience the difference you will be glad you did the CHF!!! Good luck!!!
Old 12-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #6

THOR #4813
Thanks so much!
Old 12-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #7

THOR #4813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
Here are the pics. I even drew yellow around the bolts you need to swap. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.
Thanks Erich
Old 03-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
They did do the front end CHF, and I have the Safe-T-Bar already, here is the pic of the rear sway bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	4205