Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Toad????

I've purchased a 2017 Axis and hope to do the "grand loop" in Utah this June! I don't have a toad and was wondering if it's possible to visit these parks without one . I know Zion offers a trolley but from what I've read this is an exception rather than a rule.
Will I regret not having a toad? What options will be available to me without one?
Thanks

Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Many people visit the NP's without a dinghy. It's just a matter of convenience or how comfortable you driving the MH in tight parking areas.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #3

THOR #6203
Thanks. I'm not sure how comfortable I will be by June, but it's reassuring to know that it can be done without a dinghy!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Just browse around on this website for a bit: 48 in 366 | 48 States, 42 National Parks and All the Backroads In Between
She took an Axis and toured the lower 48 states for all of last year visiting all the national parks and tons of state/local parks. All without a toad (and with a dog).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #5

THOR #6203
JamieGeek that's perfect. Thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #6

Model: Axis25.2
State: New York
THOR #17645
Nomad

I mounted a small scooter on the back of my 25.2
It's ease to get off and new was less then $3,000 with ramp
Have used out west to get to trail heads plus it's fun
Old 03-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
If you think you need one, rent a cheap car once you get out there.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:42 AM   #8

State: California
THOR #6557
We did the Big 5 in October
Old 03-05-2017, 01:50 AM   #9

THOR #6557
Sorry
Started in Moab, stayed at American, just past the Colorado River.
First day we explored Canyon Land, no issues at all.
2nd Arches, this was a real challenge.
Moved to Bryce, no issue and great bus system.
Moved to Capital Reef, very challenging.
Zion, great bus system, plan to pay $40.00 for tunnels pass.
I have 20 years experience driving a tour bus.
Practice a lot, traffic will be insane in June.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #10

THOR #6203
Sidewinder what length MH do you own? It concerns me that you state that even with 20 years of driving a tour bus you still found some places challenging! Was the challenge finding places to park, traffic or other?
I've not had more than 15 min. behind the wheel of a MH so doing the "grand circle " may need to wait until I gain more experience.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #11

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Just browse around on this website for a bit: 48 in 366 | 48 States, 42 National Parks and All the Backroads In Between
She took an Axis and toured the lower 48 states for all of last year visiting all the national parks and tons of state/local parks. All without a toad (and with a dog).
Great site - THANK YOU!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #12

THOR #6557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Sidewinder what length MH do you own? It concerns me that you state that even with 20 years of driving a tour bus you still found some places challenging! Was the challenge finding places to park, traffic or other?
I've not had more than 15 min. behind the wheel of a MH so doing the "grand circle " may need to wait until I gain more experience.

26 feet.
We were there in October, the slow season. 40 minutes to get into Arches. Because of inconsiderate people parking is troublesome. We started arriving very early in the mornings, this helped a lot. Both Bryce and Zion have excellent bus services.
Two things that I suggest, borrow your neighbors plastic trash cans, set them a couple feet wider than your rig, drive between them. Learn where the corners of your rig are. Then go to your local Walmart, when you can drive down the parking lanes, you are ready for the NPs.
Practice, practice, practice.
The dealer delivered my buddy 25.2 to his home, he had 0 experience, he ran into a guard rail at about 25 mph and did about $15,000 in damage.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Take a look at the RV Education 101 Youtube channel and the sister channel RV 101. They both have tons of tips for RV'ers. Including a whole series about RV driving skills, here are a couple:

We watched a bunch of those after picking up our Axis. We had pull behinds for years and the Axis is/was our first motorhome. If you've ever driven around a full sized van (especially an Econoline one) you'll be familiar with how to drive an Axis/Vegas around--its just a bit bigger.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #14

THOR #6203
Never driven a van or anything bigger than my Acura MDX. I see many miles spent practicing in my future!
Thanks for those YouTube videos!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #15

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
I was just about to post the same question as the OP. Is there more to this website than pics and I'm just not finding it?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214
I was just about to post the same question as the OP. Is there more to this website than pics and I'm just not finding it?
Its basically her travelogue of the trip, and yeah there are a lot of pics and a lot of graphics. She's done with the trip. If you want data, the "Places I've stayed" link has a map and spreadsheet of every overnight stop:
Places I’ve Stayed | 48 in 366

What more would you be looking for? Blog posts? She didn't really keep a blog--the closest she came to making a blog was an occasional facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/48in366/?fref=ts
Old 03-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #17

THOR #2581
Quote:
Its basically her travelogue of the trip, and yeah there are a lot of pics and a lot of graphics. She's done with the trip. If you want data, the "Places I've stayed" link has a map and spreadsheet of every overnight stop:
Places I’ve Stayed | 48 in 366

What more would you be looking for? Blog posts? She didn't really keep a blog--the closest she came to making a blog was an occasional facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/48in366/?fref=ts
I'd be looking for something that addresses the OP's question as I have the same one. Nice pics but nothing that tells me anything about trying to manuver and/or park in any of these places.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #6613
Have you considered an electric bike? They make not having a toad much easier and then you could just rent a car when really needed.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214
I'd be looking for something that addresses the OP's question as I have the same one. Nice pics but nothing that tells me anything about trying to manuver and/or park in any of these places.
True. It does answer the simple question of:
Quote:
I've purchased a 2017 Axis and hope to do the "grand loop" in Utah this June! I don't have a toad and was wondering if it's possible to visit these parks without one
With a "yes": Given all the pics and places its obviously "yes" you can go to all those places but without any details: How hard was it, for each park is it easy to maneuver, etc. (Granted she was using an Axis and, given my experience with it, it was probably pretty easy.)

For more details about that question (sites are close, can't get around, roads too narrow, etc.) I'd take a look at RV Park Reviews (Note that I'm not affiliated with them other than using that site a lot, but the same people that run thorforums also run RV Park Reviews). I know in Michigan RV Park Reviews has reviews of just about all the state parks, and the reviewers usually put extra tidbits in like "easy walk to the beach", "roads very narrow for our camper", etc.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #20

THOR #2581
BLM Campgrounds around Moab (Arches National Park)

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that stayed in any of the BLM Campgrounds around Arches National Park. From what I've been able to find (though getting a spot may be hard) they are certainly the most picturesque and I love the idea of being on the river. Are these areas reasonably assessable for a MH? As for the OP's question, my research would indicate a toad might be in order to "really" get around (at least at Arches). My solution for here will be to rent a Jeep.