Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2020, 03:35 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We have the Patriot by Blue Ox … we had a chance to pickup a trade in at half price, when we set the Jeep up for towing...All has been good..the Patriot is a bit of a beast in size, but works well.
I have same unit. No problems in 4 years.

Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #22

Model: Vegas
State: New York
THOR #17148
I had a used Roadmaster Even Brake that locked my toad up three times (requiring three sets of new underwear after hearing squealing tires that close). All three times were after initially slowing down with no issues, and then coasting into an exit. I swapped it out for a new Even Brake last year at the Minot FMCA rally and had zero issues driving back to NY from ND. Not sure what was causing it, nor did the Roadmaster techs offer a theory.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #23

Model: 26' Chateau Class C
State: Texas
THOR #6437
I recently had an Invisibrake installed on my Jeep Cherokee at the same time I had my tow bar put on by Camping World. Towing behind my '15 Thor Chateau 26' from New Braunfels TX to my home two hours away and all worked fine. When I got ready to leave on a trip, I hooked everything up according to instructions and got 1/4 mile down the road when the buzzer and light went on continuous in the RV signalling a malfunction in the braking system. I tried unhooking, re-hooking, checking everything I knew to check. Nothing stopped the loud buzzer or solid red light.After about 30 minutes I called Camping World, got no real answer. The lights on the RV were off, the engine turned off and it still continued going off. I raised the hood and the CW guy said look for a 10 amp fuse going to the setup. I found that and removed it, still kept going. Further searching on my own produced a 20 amp fuse in line with the 10 amp and I removed that and finally got silence. By that time I was ready to rip the whole thing out. I had a deadline to meet so after the 1 hour delay I drove 250 miles to destination and returned a few days later with no braking system and all went ok. I was just very careful. The Invisibrake was an investment to not work first rattle out of the box but I have not had time to go back to Camping World to get it all working again. Not sure I trust them to do it anyway. After reading another reply here I am thinking of just calling Invisibrake & talking to someone there. FYI I am a 78 yr old female who has been rving for a long time and the last 14 yrs on my own. And I would absolutely love any advice from any who cares to respond. THANKS! I had to vent!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:33 PM   #24

THOR #16178
RVi3 here. No problems with Jeep JKU Light weight, quick install and setup. Like the control enter tablet with brake, toad charger, TPMS (tire patrol from RVi on coach and toad) and level.
2018 T@G Outback Teardrop (when the MH can't go)
br8945@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:22 PM   #25
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBlanton View Post
I recently had an Invisibrake installed on my Jeep Cherokee.... FYI I am a 78 yr old female who has been rving for a long time and the last 14 yrs on my own. And I would absolutely love any advice from any who cares to respond. THANKS! I had to vent!
Hi ! My husband and I are, also, in our late 70's and we, hand in hand do setup of tow gear and setup when we arrive at campsite. I understand your frustration....we have a Patriot Brake System in stalled on our Jeep TJ...At one point during a recent trip, the remote controller up front in the motorhome, went off .. regarding low battery in Jeep .. Couldn't figure out why it was sensing that but, I finally disconnected the Patriot and we went on our way down the road without the braking system...the TJ is a lightweight and we don't even know it is back there anyway, if it were not for the rear view camera !!
Then, again...in January, on our last leg home from FL...the remote went off...and the Patriot had triggered the brakes on the Jeep...found issue and we went on home with out the Brake System again.
I am telling you this...to let you know there are people who are sympathetic to your issues...and those pro's who did the install could really care less once they get their $$$$ !!
I have become a student of all of this..knowing that more and more it is on my shoulders to handle most of these complex issues.
I wish you luck...and admire you for going it on your own for many years !!
I hope someone who has a braking system like yours gives you some useful information!!

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Hi ! My husband and I are, also, in our late 70's and we, hand in hand do setup of tow gear and setup when we arrive at campsite. I understand your frustration....we have a Patriot Brake System in stalled on our Jeep TJ...At one point during a recent trip, the remote controller up front in the motorhome, went off .. regarding low battery in Jeep .. Couldn't figure out why it was sensing that but, I finally disconnected the Patriot and we went on our way down the road without the braking system...the TJ is a lightweight and we don't even know it is back there anyway, if it were not for the rear view camera !!
Then, again...in January, on our last leg home from FL...the remote went off...and the Patriot had triggered the brakes on the Jeep...found issue and we went on home with out the Brake System again.
I am telling you this...to let you know there are people who are sympathetic to your issues...and those pro's who did the install could really care less once they get their $$$$ !!
I have become a student of all of this..knowing that more and more it is on my shoulders to handle most of these complex issues.
I wish you luck...and admire you for going it on your own for many years !!
I hope someone who has a braking system like yours gives you some useful information!!

Kay
FWIW, I had a RoadMaster rep at my house going through my Jeep Grand Cherokee to get the installation of my InvisiBrake correct. He spent 5 hours getting things straight and I haven't had an issue since. After he got finished he went to Camping World to retrain their installer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:38 PM   #27
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
FWIW, I had a RoadMaster rep at my house going through my Jeep Grand Cherokee to get the installation of my InvisiBrake correct. He spent 5 hours getting things straight and I haven't had an issue since. After he got finished he went to Camping World to retrain their installer.
Good to know.
I hope RJBlanton views your message...as she has the Invisibrake.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:35 AM   #28

Model: 35 M Windsoport
THOR #13876
I have the Thor 35m and use the Patriot breaking system by blue ox works very well 5 minute set up and you are on your way .
Old 02-16-2020, 02:10 AM   #29

Model: VEGAS 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #14226
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
We use a Stay in Play on our Wrangler as I wanted the convenience of a permanently installed system. Just flip a switch and you’re ready to go. So far it has worked perfectly. Was not difficult to self install and would not be difficult to remove if I ever sell the car. I recommend it.
I had Brake Buddy for 18yrs. It caused a total front brake pad and rotor replacement.
We purchased a 2018 Vega 27.7 and thought we would upgrade to the Stay N Play. My wife is 66 and has driven our motorhomes for years, but would not do the hookup. She did not like the Brake Buddy setup.
She now hooks up and takes out grand kids by herself on trips. She loves the system and so do I. I wish we had purchased several years earlier.
I say stay with Stay N Play.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:23 AM   #30

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
I recently had an Invisibrake installed on my Jeep Cherokee at the same time I had my tow bar put on by Camping World. Towing behind my '15 Thor Chateau 26' from New Braunfels TX to my home two hours away and all worked fine. When I got ready to leave on a trip, I hooked everything up according to instructions and got 1/4 mile down the road when the buzzer and light went on continuous in the RV signalling a malfunction in the braking system. I tried unhooking, re-hooking, checking everything I knew to check. Nothing stopped the loud buzzer or solid red light.After about 30 minutes I called Camping World, got no real answer. The lights on the RV were off, the engine turned off and it still continued going off. I raised the hood and the CW guy said look for a 10 amp fuse going to the setup. I found that and removed it, still kept going. Further searching on my own produced a 20 amp fuse in line with the 10 amp and I removed that and finally got silence. By that time I was ready to rip the whole thing out. I had a deadline to meet so after the 1 hour delay I drove 250 miles to destination and returned a few days later with no braking system and all went ok. I was just very careful. The Invisibrake was an investment to not work first rattle out of the box but I have not had time to go back to Camping World to get it all working again. Not sure I trust them to do it anyway. After reading another reply here I am thinking of just calling Invisibrake & talking to someone there. FYI I am a 78 yr old female who has been rving for a long time and the last 14 yrs on my own. And I would absolutely love any advice from any who cares to respond. THANKS! I had to vent!
Call Roadmaster direct, they have a very good customer service people that will help you out. Sounds like you may have some error in the install.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:00 AM   #31
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
What happened with my InvisiBrake install was Camping World hooked all wires in at the six pin on the Jeep. This caused an intermittent short which would blow the coach's 7 pin turn and brake light fuse. No power to the 7 pin brake and turn lights the InvisiBrake will not work, period. Camping World would not do anything and told me to call RoadMaster. I did and the rep came to the house and spent 5 hours redoing the installation and all has been fine since. I do not know where you are located but the mid-atlantic rep is dynamite.

First thing to check is with the TOAD plugged into the coach see if the turn signals on the TOAD operate when they are turned on on the coach. If the TOAD's turn signals are not working more than likely you have a blown 7 pin fuse on the coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:10 AM   #32

Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
THOR #12124
We use the Stay N Play brake system for 4 years, no problems to date.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #33

Model: 32.2 Miramar
State: New York
THOR #16885
I’ve had the RVI brake since 2017 and no problems. I also added the Tire Patrol and it also work great. Customer service is great when you need some assistance.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #34

State: Ohio
THOR #9048
Have the same, I installed and it works great
Old 02-17-2020, 02:47 PM   #35

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #17621
Thumbs up

Our toad is an Equinox using the SMI braking system. Trouble free for 4+ years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160730_105916.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	22588   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160730_105930.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	22589  

Old 02-19-2020, 02:50 AM   #36
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Very easy to rig one. Buzzer or chime on Amazon for a couple of bucks and a relay from Auto Zone. You can pick up both the ignition on signal and the lights on signal from the mirror heat switch.

Don’t even need the relay... a simple piezo buzzer with one lead to ignition one source, the other to lights on source... and I used the mirror heat switch too.
If the behavior isn’t right the first time, switch the wires.
When properly hooked up, when power is detected on light circuit, and not on ignition circuit, the buzzer sounds.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:14 AM   #37

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn6 View Post
Good morning peeps!

We need your input. We traded our standard trans. toad for a Chevy Equinox. In doing so we had to purchase a braking system. We bought the Brake Buddy Elite 3. Twice the brakes on the Equinox locked up while we were towing. We sent the Brake Buddy back and they tell us there is nothing wrong with it. Has anyone else had this problem? What braking system do you use and are you happy with yours? Y'all are always full of information and we appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
I had a similar problem with BB Classic II. The cable connection between the dashboard connector and the BB unit was intermittent. When the unit lost power while the brake pedal was being pushed during normal braking, the unit didn’t release the brakes. Not good. Brake job required.

The manufacturer replaced the connector in the BB device as well as providing a new cord and dashboard connector. So far, so good.

As a safety precaution, I ran a wire from the toad brake lights to a pilot light on the coach dashboard. If the pilot light is lit and the BB receiver is not indicating that the brakes should be activated, I know something is amiss. Better than watching the toad brakes for smoke.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:10 AM   #38

State: California
THOR #17713
Jpnj
I have the stay and play.used it for 3 years no problems
Old 03-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #39

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
We run the Ready-Brake cabling system on our 4-down TOAD Wrangler Rubicon, preferring it over the electronic systems with their intermittent issues with signals and such. We also run the matching ReadyStop emergency cabling kit. Once you get the brake cable length correct (take a drive for a few miles, applying the brakes frequently) it works fine w/o locking up the brakes.

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p1/..._Style%29.html

I installed both in a couple of hours.
GVP
Old 03-03-2020, 01:18 AM   #40

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnj2 View Post
Jpnj
I have the stay and play.used it for 3 years no problems

I also use the Stay-in-Play on my Wrangler. It was straightforward, if not actually easy, to install, works great and is ready to go with the flip of a switch.