Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
I know this subject has been brought up before, but I haven’t really seen a final solution on the matter. The toilet clogging issue on the Thor Motorhome’s

This is a constant issue that happens whether the tank is empty or 2/3 full, this is our 5th camper and we never had this problem, that includes when the kids came with us. A plunger is a must. It’s rediculous that such a basic function has this flaw. We have been traveling the lower United States since Christmas, and this is what we have to deal with. We have done the dawn detergent, the camper toilet paper etc. looking for any ideas to fix this problem. When we return home, I will pull the system apart and fix this, but for now just looking for advice that has worked for others. Thank you
Does the Miramar have the macerator toilet that you are having problems with?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #22

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
I contacted Thor and they acknowledged that there is a problem with the system, with the pipe being at an angle. They said to check the vent for any kind of blockage. I will do this, and when I get home I’ll figure out a new way for the system to function properly, probably by installing a straight pipe.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I know this subject has been brought up before, but I haven’t really seen a final solution on the matter. The toilet clogging issue on the Thor Motorhome’s
This is a constant issue that happens whether the tank is empty or 2/3 full, this is our 5th camper and we never had this problem, that includes when the kids came with us. A plunger is a must. It’s rediculous that such a basic function has this flaw. We have been traveling the lower United States since Christmas, and this is what we have to deal with. We have done the dawn detergent, the camper toilet paper etc. looking for any ideas to fix this problem. When we return home, I will pull the system apart and fix this, but for now just looking for advice that has worked for others. Thank you
Known issue with SOME Thor Motorhomes (not all). Dilution is the solution to the poop problem - lotsa water.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Are we talking about general plumbing issue here or the units with the half or full bath on the passenger side?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #25

THOR #3584
Just a basic set up, no half bath.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #26

THOR #11130
Quote:
Just a basic set up, no half bath.

Passenger side???
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #27

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Just get one of those wooden back scratchers.
Use it as a macerator stick!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #28

THOR #3584
Yes passenger side
Old 02-12-2019, 11:17 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Two pages of poop: ihttp://www.thorforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15651&stc=1&d=15500134 47magine that!
Attached Images

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #30

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Most all of us have had issues but have learned what works best for our particular situation. For me I use a septic system approved TP, always use plenty of water and have the auto level set to ever so slightly tilt the RV so the toilet is on the high side.

With all that said your problem sounds more severe than the rest of us. It is possible your vent pipe is slid too low into the holding tank. If you take the vent cover off the top of your sewer vent you should be able to see the vent pipe. It sits inside an outer pipe and may be simply set too low. You may be able to tell by looking. If that is your problem it will likely require a trip to the dealer. In the meantime, try the items mentioned above and empty the tank often.

Side note...I have a 2016 Miramar 34.4 and taking the steps above I have no problems.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #31

THOR #3584
Thank you
Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 AM   #32

THOR #3584
Miramar Owner, thanks for the advice, I tilted the motorhome with the bathroom on the high side, working fine now. Thanks to all who gave advice to help us.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #33

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
In all honesty I should add, when we have visitors stay with us (mostly kids) I have had issues with the "stuff" building up in a pile right below the bowl. The guests use way too much TP without sufficient water and nothing will prevent this build up under those circumstances...it is rare but does happen. I have a long "walking stick" in the corner of the bathroom. I simply step on the pedal to flush and use the stick to move the "stuff" around, breaking up the mound. I then dry the stick off with some TP...fill the bowl with water and flush. I have found that works great when I have a house full of guests unfamiliar with the RV toilets.

That may sound gross but honestly it's not that bad and much easier than trying to train/lecture all the visitors on proper RV toilet usage. I rarely have to use this method but I'm always prepared.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #34

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
In all honesty I should add, when we have visitors stay with us (mostly kids) I have had issues with the "stuff" building up in a pile right below the bowl. The guests use way too much TP without sufficient water and nothing will prevent this build up under those circumstances...it is rare but does happen. I have a long "walking stick" in the corner of the bathroom. I simply step on the pedal to flush and use the stick to move the "stuff" around, breaking up the mound. I then dry the stick off with some TP...fill the bowl with water and flush. I have found that works great when I have a house full of guests unfamiliar with the RV toilets.

That may sound gross but honestly it's not that bad and much easier than trying to train/lecture all the visitors on proper RV toilet usage. I rarely have to use this method but I'm always prepared.

Everyone at times has those "not so proud to deal with" moments and we just have to deal with them. I try to encourage visitors (even family) to use the public facilities. During the 10 day race weekend (coming up) where we dry camp, I have the portable toilet company deliver an outhouse to our site. We'll have lots of people coming and going over the 10 days. The track does have pump-out service companies that will come to you but some people just don't get it...they've never crawled around on their knees, emptying holding tanks wit the gamble of a "brown shower" any moment staring over their shoulders.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
In all honesty I should add, when we have visitors stay with us (mostly kids) I have had issues with the "stuff" building up in a pile right below the bowl. The guests use way too much TP without sufficient water and nothing will prevent this build up under those circumstances...it is rare but does happen. .
Guests should be given a bucket, and your profound best wishes...
Old 02-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #36

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
very odd IMO based on the campers I've been in. Can you take a 5 galling bucket if water and pour it in or are you saying the bowl would over flow? Many also have a water flush for the black tank to help clean up and 'deposits' hanging during a dump.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #37

THOR #11130
If they've never owned a camper, they'll never get it. You just have to deal with yourself or try to encourage them to use public toilets (if available). I've tried to explain to some and you get the "deer in the headlights" stare or they become offended. RV TT is very thin and requires an acquired skill to minimize. To a newbie, it feels like wax paper. With many boats in my past that had marine toilets, I always told guests...S.O.S. also means..."S**T ON SHORE".
Old 02-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
We recently took the factory tour where the Hurricane/Windsport are built. I was anxious to look at the black tank and plumbing installation. I was surprised at how narrow the tank is on the passenger side and how gradual it slopes to the dump side. I came away with this admonition: Eat plenty of fiber, use toilet paper sparingly, and use lots of water.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... and if you bring it with you: take it out with you!
Old 02-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #40

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
so far in my short rving tenure, that's the only fix that works 100% of the time - kinda like the old abstinence admonitions in high school...