Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2017, 11:55 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #6369
Toilet problems on a windstar

We have problems with our toilet cleaning out when we flush as it does not go straight down as most campers do. It seems to go thru an elbow first. Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Mine does not go straight down into the tank, but it is not a sharp bend. I have no problem with the toilet flushing.

You might have better luck if you say what RV you have and tell what the nature of the problem is.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:43 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #6369
The RV is a Thor Windstar. When we flush you can still see poop sitting in the toilet that has not gone to the black tank.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
In mine, the toilet is flushed by opening a "door" in the bottom of the toilet and the contents fall thru the opening. There is not much "flushing". I don't remember the brand name but it is a common brand. If the bend in your drain is sharp, perhaps it has gotten blocked???
Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 AM   #5

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
Your not using enough water when you flush!

Hope this helps!
Dave
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:20 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Lots and lots of water!! Fill your bowl with water prior to going, and when you flush it away, fill your bowl again and flush! It's the only way to insure you get everything into your black tank!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not a mod I'd want to make but one to consider is replacing the toilet with one that allows adding water to the bowl with a half way depression of the foot flush.

Thetford makes a few of them.

Aqua-Magic® V Foot Pedal Flush | Products | Thetford
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Dometic is a much better toilet than Thetford.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:30 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Louisiana
THOR #3932
Windstar,Hurricane 29m

My thor hurricane 29m is my third class a rv..the other two had more room between the bottom of the tank and flush tube..Wife has had colon cancer,and we got the pileup in bottom of tank that blocker the flow..Now we as said put in at least 8 gallons of water after a clean out, and make sure the bowl is full before we flush so that crap moves away from straight down..Also purchased a good size salable baby diaper can, put paper in can seal top,no smell,,it holds enough to last a week and we find a place to get ride of bag and the replace when needed...Flush tank out really good ever dump....it's a poor design. .
Old 02-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #10

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
If you are building a "pyramid" in the middle of your black tank (where the toilet discharge pipe points) that generally means either there is not enough water in the black tank, or the black tank of not holding the water like it should.

The next time you flush out your black tank, keep your gray gate valves(s) closed. With the black tank gate valve closed go inside and hold toilet open to flush allowing water to enter. While putting in at least 10 gallons have someone watch outside (clear elbow at discharge) to see if anything is seeping out past the closed black gate valve. It is not uncommon for toilet paper or other debris to get caught in the rubber on these tank gate valves and allow them to seep. If the excessive water you are putting in with your flushes is actually seeping out then you will just keep pilling up waste matter.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #11

THOR #3610
When you move next, drain & flush the black tank thoroughly then add about 10 gallons of water with a good healthy squirt of dishwashing soap or liquid laundry detergent & drive to your next location then add a good bit more water then drain & flush several times, afterwards close valve add some water & more soap, the soap is a great lubricant for your valve seals. From then on do this every couple months & you should have no odor (you can still add your favorite tank cbemicals if you desire) or blockage. You can also add about a 1/4 cup of cooking oil to your grey tanks after dumping to lube those seals, I've been doing both these procedures for years with no tank issues.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #12

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Indiana
THOR #5452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossianny2010 View Post
We have problems with our toilet cleaning out when we flush as it does not go straight down as most campers do. It seems to go thru an elbow first. Does anyone else have this problem?
I have an 2017 ACE that I just took delivery on the 30th. Stayed a couple nights at the dealer and went to dump when we got home and found the same issue of the 'pyramid' in the toilet. I tried pushing it down with a stick and it wouldn't budge. Must be a bad angle. Not sure how to get rid of it. I tried lots of water, ice and water and it still won't budge.

I'm going to call the dealer, but it seems like it's a wast of time based on all the comments I see about this being a design flaw.

Help!!!!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #13

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suem62 View Post
I have an 2017 ACE that I just took delivery on the 30th. Stayed a couple nights at the dealer and went to dump when we got home and found the same issue of the 'pyramid' in the toilet. I tried pushing it down with a stick and it wouldn't budge. Must be a bad angle. Not sure how to get rid of it. I tried lots of water, ice and water and it still won't budge.

I'm going to call the dealer, but it seems like it's a wast of time based on all the comments I see about this being a design flaw.

Help!!!!
If the waste line is actually plumbed with a 45 degree piece of PVC it should still drop to the black tank rather quickly. If they have plumbed it with a 90 degree elbow, which I would be shocked that any RV manufacturer would attempt this, then it will not consistently flush to the black tank. RV ball style toilets are not designed with a holding tank that drop a large amount of water all at once to flush through a trap, they are designed to spray minimal water almost directly down into the black tank.

If the waste is getting to the black tank but is building up where it enters the tank, then there is not enough water in the tank, or the water being added to the black tank is leaking out.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:27 AM   #14

State: Alaska
THOR #7567
I have a ace 27.2 . Used it twice and both times toilet plugged. I took toilet off and seen the plug right at the bottom. The black tank on this end is only 4 inches deep and pipe sticks thru a little. This is a piss poor design. For one there is never water on this end of tank except for flush. Then the crap has to run down this shallow part of tank and drop down into deep part of tank. Bad design.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:38 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Louisiana
THOR #3932
Potty

I too have the same troubles..got a air tight diaper can,a big one put all toilet paper in it..made the shower head able to reach toilet ..fill bowl with water before i launch down tube
Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 AM   #16

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
We're in a campsite that is narrow and hard to get out 2017 ACE 29.4 in and out of. Hoping to go a week or ten days without having to go to a dump station, we tried to use as little water as possible with each flush. In a few days we had a good size pyramid of paper and waste. Tried to clear it with a number of full bowl flushes. The second bowlfull caused the dirty water to back up into the bowl.
I made a midnight run to Walmart for a plunger and snake. Plunger took out the water but the pile of toilet paper and crap remained. After an unpleasant half hour of fishing around with a snake and dumping several additional bowls full of water I finally broke up the pile enough to wash away the paper. I'll have to say that the elbow sure SEEMED like a 90 degree turn; yet another Thor design flaw.
Looks like our best options are to flush full bowls each time and make multiple trips to the dump station, or to squeeze a diaper container into the already too small bathroom.
What engineer at Thor thought a 90 degree elbow was a good idea???
Old 06-07-2017, 05:52 AM   #17

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
We're in a campsite that is narrow and hard to get out 2017 ACE 29.4 in and out of. Hoping to go a week or ten days without having to go to a dump station, we tried to use as little water as possible with each flush. In a few days we had a good size pyramid of paper and waste. Tried to clear it with a number of full bowl flushes. The second bowlfull caused the dirty water to back up into the bowl.
I made a midnight run to Walmart for a plunger and snake. Plunger took out the water but the pile of toilet paper and crap remained. After an unpleasant half hour of fishing around with a snake and dumping several additional bowls full of water I finally broke up the pile enough to wash away the paper. I'll have to say that the elbow sure SEEMED like a 90 degree turn; yet another Thor design flaw.
Looks like our best options are to flush full bowls each time and make multiple trips to the dump station, or to squeeze a diaper container into the already too small bathroom.
Nope, not a very good design, having the black tank on the opposite side of the coach from your toilet! Our old 34.2 had that problem, we had to use lots and lots of water to get the solids and paper across to the tank.

The new 33.5 has toilet directly over the black tank, so it's bombs away right into the tank. With the two of us, we can go almost a week between dumps. Now the gray tank is a different story, with showers and dishes, I have to dump the gray every other day if dry camping.

I'll never buy another rig again with the toilet opposite the black tank!!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #18

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
I may have been next to you at the campground cuz that exact same thing happened to a guy camping in Michigan. He didn't have a Thor but he had to get a snake. Water backed up into his bowl also. Make sure the toilet paper is RV ready and not just septic safe. It should dissipate within 20 minutes period you can test with one piece of paper in a cup of water and time it. if it turns to slime then it's good to go. Good luck with your next dump.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
I may have been next to you at the campground cuz that exact same thing happened to a guy camping in Michigan. He didn't have a Thor but he had to get a snake. Water backed up into his bowl also. Make sure the toilet paper is RV ready and not just septic safe. It should dissipate within 20 minutes period you can test with one piece of paper in a cup of water and time it. if it turns to slime then it's good to go. Good luck with your next dump.

You know, you may have hit on the problem. Someone on either this board or the iRV2 board recommended Angel Soft and several agreed. That what we were trying and it might well have been the problem. Back to the old Wal-Mart camping aisle paper.
Btw that was not me in Michigan, but I was with him in spirit.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #20

THOR #3610
We've had rvs for 35-40 years & the ONLY time we've used rv toilet paper is when they give it to us when trading rvs & have NEVER had a problem, but t9 my knowledge I've never had one that had a 90 degree bend below the toilet.
Replacement undetermined