Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: New Hampshire
THOR #12512
Toll Roads and Transponders

Hi Everyone,

What toll transponders does everyone use when traveling toll roads? How is your transponder setup for the RV towing a toad? My wife and I will soon be setting off for our first adventure from New Hampshire after the house sells heading south to Texas and would like to know about those toll transponders. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
From my personal experience the toll roads will charge by the axle. On a recent motorcycle trip to Maine I was charged $30.00 for my trike and a one-axle trailer while the van in front of me which was longer was charged only $18.00 - 3 axles versus 2 axles. "Fair"? However, the bigger question might be "Which toll transponders work in unison?" Example: E-Z Pass works in 17 states on the east coast from Maine to North Carolina. But how about beyond?
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We have an E-Z Pass; we're very interested in the answer to this one...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The Federal mandate has come and gone that was supposed to make all toll transponders reciprocate with all States' systems. EZ-PASS is the closest we have come.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Florida has SunPass, Kansas has K tag. Texas has TxTag which covers Tx and Kansas but not Oklahoma. Oklahoma has PikPass... and on and on. What a mess. Oklahoma has toll booths that only accept exact change. They don’t tell you that until you’re on the road itself.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Fastrak here but only good in San Francisco Bay Area as far as I know. For a yearly or occasional trip I wouldn't bother. You would need several transponders. We carry a change container and it's the co-pilots job to get the can and prepare for the toll. If she misses she loses her music choice for 100 miles.

It is a very good question as to how the passes handle the toad. I am sure the readers are capible of counting axles.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #7

Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
We have used EZPass for 3 years going back and forth to the East Coast, always been charged for a 2 axle auto. My wife holds the transponder up to the windshield when we go thru the tolls. never mounted it.

We use Colorado ExpressToll when we go to CO to see my son. Charged as a 2 axle auto. Had to mount the transponder on the windshield.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Sun Pass in Florida also good in GA but not sure where else. It counts axles based on a whole unit...towing counts as one whole unit. Made the mistake one time of placing transponders on both tow truck and boat. Charged me double on both...they gave me credit.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveha View Post
We have used EZPass for 3 years going back and forth to the East Coast, always been charged for a 2 axle auto. My wife holds the transponder up to the windshield when we go thru the tolls. never mounted it.

We use Colorado ExpressToll when we go to CO to see my son. Charged as a 2 axle auto. Had to mount the transponder on the windshield.
We just mounted ours on the rear-view mirror: what else would it be good for anyway?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #9050
Toll Roads and Transponders

We mount our ez-pass and sunpass both on the passenger side of the windshield just above the dash. Works great.
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler-Head View Post
We mount our ez-pass and sunpass both on the passenger side of the windshield just above the dash. Works great.
Better take one down if you go through E-Pass tolls now as the Central Florida Toll Authority now accepts EZ-PASS.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
I set my gps to avoid all toll roads. Just took a 8k ride on my bike from NM to the south east, then north to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Then back across the states.The only toll Paid was across the bridge into Detroit. I pay my taxes, Im not paying them any more than I have too.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:58 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We have an E-Z Pass; we're very interested in the answer to this one...

We use the EZ Pass that is specifically for a vehicle with rear dual wheels, EZ Pass considered this 3 axles.
They also have an EZ Pass available for our setup and a towed vehicle (although we don't have one yet).
If you use an EZ Pass for the RV and you also have one in your toad, the system will pick up the extra car EZ Pass and charge you so you need one of their EZ Pass bags to put the car tag into, we know someone that this happened to.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #14

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree with Sanjaun2...I set my GPS to avoid toll roads. I may travel a few extra miles but that's what being retired is all about...seeing the country side...leisurely.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:39 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #9050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Better take one down if you go through E-Pass tolls now as the Central Florida Toll Authority now accepts EZ-PASS.

Thanks for the heads up!
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:19 AM   #16

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
I have both a K-Tag and a North Texas toll tag on both my Explorer and pickup. They will not both read, its either one or the other and I have had one read on the first gantry and the other one on the next one. My NTTA tag I believe is good in Oklahoma and Kansas as well as everywhere in Texas. I have a K-tag on my MH as the most I use tollway is in Kansas and its good for a discount on their tolls.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Didn't realize that... but seems the system doesn't 'double charge'...
I had both up when we went to Disney in June on the CFX roads. EPass/Sunpass charged me... EZPass did not...

Note Florida has 2 toll tag systems - and so far EZ-Pass only works on E-Pass - or CFX (Central Florida Expressway) managed roads. It doesn't work on Sunpass roads - like the Florida Turnpike...

And we can't use any Florida toll tags in EZ-Pass states yet.

I'll put the EZ-Pass back in its bag until we can use SunPass up north - then I'll send my myriad of transponders back to them. (3 vehicles plus 1 axle and 2 axle tow).
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:06 AM   #18

Model: PALAZZO 33.3
State: Illinois
THOR #5696
Toad too

Don't forget to take the Pass out of the toad or you will be charged TWICE Just happened in Illinois...
Retired Firefighter/Paramedic, Truck Driver
C WITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by C WITT View Post
Don't forget to take the Pass out of the toad or you will be charged TWICE Just happened in Illinois...
Interesting... and may be another inconsistency by state...

Don't think I've towed my toad thru tolls in FL yet (typically the toll road trip with MH is to Disney and no need for toad there - most other MH trips involve I-75 or I-95 with no tolls) - but the toll tag in that vehicle is NOT removable (well - can peel it off - but then need to replace with new one then...)
FL has permanent and movable options - since the Jeep is a soft top - didn't want something else removable to have to lock up every time the top is down.

Sounds like some states count axles - others have special tags.
Gotta love consistency. At least Illinois can't read my SunPass... yet...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #20

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Too funny. The response that the states are all over the board are spot on. We have an EZ Pass, a Fl Sunpass, and a Kansas KTag. The tags always get read but the charges are kinda crazy. I have my car and motorhome registered to all of the transponders. The crazy part starts when you are charged and how you are charged. I have never been charged for both the vehicles. I have however been charged for just our towed SUV vs for the both of these vehicles. Much less cost for the SUV!! Anyway, we got the KTag from the Kansas website via snail mail. Works great and much cheaper.

Only place we don't have transponders for are Calif. They have a separate one for each of their systems. CRAZY!!

Also, the EZ Pass is except in way more places than any other. We have used in virtually all the states it is recognized.

Good luck.

Tags
toll roads, toll transponders