Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6675
Too many choices!

Still in decision mode. I thought we had decided on the shorty Class C cause that's what we have now and we like it. It's just old as dirt and I'm tired of working on it. It's mostly the son and I with the occasional guest. He likes his "bunk" in the front and I like my bed in the back. As far apart as possible, guys are like that.

Now I found out the Axis/Vegas have that drop down bed in the front. Dang, I didn't know that! So I guess it's back to the lot tomorrow to look at the Axis. It does look cool. Probably a better ride. I do think I like the longer wheel base though I've never driven one. We shall see.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by whytwolf
Now I found out the Axis/Vegas have that drop down bed in the front. Dang, I didn't know that! So I guess it's back to the lot tomorrow to look at the Axis. It does look cool. Probably a better ride. I do think I like the longer wheel base though I've never driven one. We shall see.
Only a better ride due to the longer wheel base--its the same E-Series chassis underneath.

Good luck on your search.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

THOR #6675
Thanks.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We went to buy a class c, but the fact that you can use the drivers and passenger seats as part of the coach sold us. Also the fact that the driver's seat can be pushed back helped this 6'3" guy with driving distances, where most of the class c were stuck in a very close range to the wheel.

The AXIS/VEGAS seems alot roomier with more room over the cab seats.

We are glad we got the class A..Over the class c or class b s
Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

THOR #6675
Cool, I'm over 72" myself. Is it worth another 20k? YOLO. I'll still stew over it for weeks.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Cool, I'm over 72" myself. Is it worth another 20k? YOLO. I'll still stew over it for weeks.
Its probably too late but if you can find a local camper show: great deals are had at camper shows.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We went to buy a class c, but the fact that you can use the drivers and passenger seats as part of the coach sold us. Also the fact that the driver's seat can be pushed back helped this 6'3" guy with driving distances, where most of the class c were stuck in a very close range to the wheel.

The AXIS/VEGAS seems alot roomier with more room over the cab seats.

We are glad we got the class A..Over the class c or class b s

Thor recently introduced a Class C that addresses the front seats rotating back to become part of living room. Other manufacturers have done some floorplans for years, and in Europe it's practically the standard. As RVs get smaller things have to work double duty. To me it seems like an inexpensive design upgrade Which yields good return. These are the kinds of details they should have implemented a long time ago. Obviously it doesn't work with all floorplans, and space isn't as roomy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3686.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	4238  
Old 03-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by whytwolf View Post
Still in decision mode. I thought we had decided on the shorty Class C cause that's what we have now and we like it. It's just old as dirt and I'm tired of working on it. It's mostly the son and I with the occasional guest. He likes his "bunk" in the front and I like my bed in the back. As far apart as possible, guys are like that.

I can relate to much of what you state here.

Both choices have inherent advantages. For example, I like Class C having doors, roll-up windows, factory dash and instruments/switches, factory windshield and wipers, much better access to engine, etc. Ford does a lot better job than RV manufacturers with the automotive part of design, in my opinion.

Class As do feel much more open though, particularly the wider cabs of F53 motorhomes compared to Axis/Vegas, and particularly versus Class Cs and Bs.

One big advantage to a Class C is that you have up to 80 cubic feet of storage over cab that can be used while driving if needed. We've used it for pillows, sleeping bags, extra containers of light stuff, etc... We even hauled a couple of bikes to a ride in the overhead bed area. You can't do these things with most Class As.

Another difference I like better about Axis/Vegas versus Class seating is that you sit higher and slightly further forward. Downside is that when seats are rotated back towards living room they are not at same elevation.

I see a lot of differences, with most having pros and cons compared to the other choice. That's what makes it so hard to decide. Too bad they can't put all "best" features in one package.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 AM   #9

THOR #6675
Yeah, I hear you. I was thinking about that. I do use the overhead bunk for storing all the stuff that I kick out as soon as we get to camp. Tables, chairs, portable solar panel, etc. That will all have to go elsewhere if I get the "bus".

We did do a walkthrough of the Axis today. Very cool. I'm intrigued. But like I told the salesman; if it ain't one thing, it's the other. I love how you can set those doors to make that big bathroom area, but the shower is itty bitty.

Reminds me of the used 22e we looked at. Seemed like a good deal but the microwave didn't have convection and no oven below the cook top. What! You can't make pizza? That's intolerable! Heehee.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #10

THOR #2121
My dream (revised) 24.1 floorplan would include a Megastorage compartment like this one used on Thor Class Cs. As a bonus it has built-in spare tire carrier and picnic table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3785.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	4242  
Old 03-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #11

THOR #6675
Nice
Old 03-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #12

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #5936
Quote:

Your going to love the Axis/Vegas!!!!! My first trip is coming up in April. I have the 2016 Axis 25.2. Soaking up everything I can on this forum. Good-luck in your search.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
We did do a walkthrough of the Axis today. Very cool. I'm intrigued. But like I told the salesman; if it ain't one thing, it's the other. I love how you can set those doors to make that big bathroom area, but the shower is itty bitty.
yeah the 24.1 has the smallest shower of all the Axis/Vegas floorplans. Keep looking, and take a look at some of the other Axis/Vegas floorplans.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #14

THOR #2121
This may be of interest since the subject is partly about comparing Class As and Cs.

For whatever reason, the 2016 trend continued into 2017 with Class Cs picking up momentum as Class As lose theirs.

Thor is the overall motorized leader, and have an even greater market share in Class Cs. They seem positioned well if this trend continues.

SSI: Motorhome Sales Edge Down 0.7% for Jan. | RV Business
Old 03-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #15

THOR #6675
And another thing, I swear that every spec sheet and video that I looked at on the Axis drop down bed said 500 lb. When I walked into the thing, there was a big sticker on it that says Max 250. Aint no real biggie, y'know; but are you trying to drive me crazy?
Old 03-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
And another thing, I swear that every spec sheet and video that I looked at on the Axis drop down bed said 500 lb. When I walked into the thing, there was a big sticker on it that says Max 250. Aint no real biggie, y'know; but are you trying to drive me crazy?
Ours has a sticker on it that says 500lbs.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #17

THOR #6675
Weird, huh.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #18

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
Quote:
Yeah, I hear you. I was thinking about that. I do use the overhead bunk for storing all the stuff that I kick out as soon as we get to camp. Tables, chairs, portable solar panel, etc. That will all have to go elsewhere if I get the "bus".

Reminds me of the used 22e we looked at. Seemed like a good deal but the microwave didn't have convection and no oven below the cook top. What! You can't make pizza? That's intolerable! Heehee.
I think it should be a convection oven when no oven is present. that how mine is.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #19

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I like being able to put the Class A on cruise control and stand up while driving stretching my legs.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #20

THOR #2121
Too many choices? It's an interesting premise that I think applies to many buyers but is certainly not universal.

There are indeed a lot of "similar" choices as if manufacturers copy each other, or follow trends, rather than use a little creativity and take risks with new products.

I personally like the Axis/Vegas because they are different, and after 4 model years no other manufacturer has joined in on smaller Class As built on lighter-duty E-Series chassis. Having said that, choices within the Axis/Vegas subgroup, as an example, are very limited.

If you were looking for an Axis with a walk-around permanent bed, or a 24.1-like with larger bathroom and/or recliners, or a compact Axis without a slide, or a low-profile Class A, you'd be out of luck. In many cases there are not enough choices at all.