Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2021, 11:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That's easy!
Tell her that you enjoy a good challenge...
I told her.. she laughed

Old 08-29-2021, 11:39 PM   #22

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
1-8 stereo - sh*t speakers
FWIW, the house speakers are very easy to replace, and it's an upgrade well worth doing if you like music.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:42 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
My wife just asked if 10 things are bad why did they buy it?

Maybe "Hate" is the wrong word for context of the intent? Unless you view your coach as "Perfect", there may be things that you think could be "Improved"?

If you look at my list, there was nothing wrong as my coach had Zero PDI issues when purchased. I did have a few warranty items repaired, but non are listed. What is listed are the things that I feel could be improved, or I wish were better. You will see I have made a few modifications to make the coach more of what I consider "Perfect" in my own eyes. I guess the Duck was right when he said we buy Kits and make them our own.

The DW point is well taken and if I could change the Title; I would rename it to " Top 10 Things you wished were "Improved" with your RV"
But I would defer her to the Top 10 Things I Love Pages as to why I bought it. It has been 2 years and we nailed it out of the box.

For the record, I participate regularly with Winnebago Industries to provide feedback on current coach as well as some future features they ask about to see how well it would be viewed. i.e. I know it was a consideration of having Sumo Springs as an option. Of course I have no insight as to what they may do, but the fact they were considering made Sumo Springs a no brainer add on for me.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:54 AM   #24

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Maybe "Hate" is the wrong word for context of the intent? Unless you view your coach as "Perfect", there may be things that you think could be "Improved"?

If you look at my list, there was nothing wrong as my coach had Zero PDI issues when purchased. I did have a few warranty items repaired, but non are listed. What is listed are the things that I feel could be improved, or I wish were better. You will see I have made a few modifications to make the coach more of what I consider "Perfect" in my own eyes. I guess the Duck was right when he said we buy Kits and make them our own.

The DW point is well taken and if I could change the Title; I would rename it to " Top 10 Things you wished were "Improved" with your RV"
But I would defer her to the Top 10 Things I Love Pages as to why I bought it. It has been 2 years and we nailed it out of the box.

For the record, I participate regularly with Winnebago Industries to provide feedback on current coach as well as some future features they ask about to see how well it would be viewed. i.e. I know it was a consideration of having Sumo Springs as an option. Of course I have no insight as to what they may do, but the fact they were considering made Sumo Springs a no brainer add on for me.
No problem..my wife appreciated this response..she said she loves our coach and does not like to see others own something not liked we are still friends. See you in the #1 state montana some day
Old 08-30-2021, 12:56 AM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
FWIW, the house speakers are very easy to replace, and it's an upgrade well worth doing if you like music.
You are on a roll today I wanted more sound for our new Main 40" Samsung TV . After research; I bought the Visio M21D-H8R; it has the Sub woofer built into Sound Bar (may be something better now?). I can now sit in the Captains Chair reclined and watch thunderous thriller movies. My guest or kids can connect to it's Bluetooth to play music of their choice; while I drive using the Pioneer Radio up front streaming my music and listening to Waze for audio directions. I put in Alpine SPE500 Speakers in the front. I did it all myself and very pleased.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-30-2021, 01:23 AM   #26

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We self installed front Sumo springs on our 2016 F53 (18,000lb). It cost about $500. DW couldn’t detect ANY change and while I thought I could I didn’t think it was anything like worth it. I certainly didn’t put them on my new coach. Steering stabilizer and CHF with link extensions and I’m very happy with handling.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:08 AM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
We self installed front Sumo springs on our 2016 F53 (18,000lb). It cost about $500. DW couldn’t detect ANY change and while I thought I could I didn’t think it was anything like worth it. I certainly didn’t put them on my new coach. Steering stabilizer and CHF with link extensions and I’m very happy with handling.
We drove first 3 months and a 15 hour track through Florida, Georgia, Tenn, Alabama, Miss on some really bad roads, it was a struggle to keep it straight and the large pot holes to the right had me in constant fear. It was all Interstate except for a stretch in between Atlanta & Birmingham The Safe T Plus fixed that, I can drive down a flat road without touching steering wheel now. No Cheap Handling Fix is/was needed, but if Ford or Winnebago says or had said it is recommended I would have done.

With that said steering is no longer and issue, but I was still getting pushed around like a rag doll every time a big truck passed me or a big gust of wind. Also during turns in city driving the RV would sway or bounce or whatever is best to call it. It was if I was driving some excessive speed and I was not. I could be going as slow as 10 mpg and it bounced on turns. The Sumo Springs we bought last year was about $1,200 for both Front and Rear I am a by the book guy for some things and this was one, I had a Sumo Springs Authorized Dealer install them. It was the only time my RV has been serviced for anything beside an Authorized Winnebago Dealer. They charged $600; so I spent just south of $2,000. But it fixed the issues, I don't get blown around anymore and the Coach does not rock and roll like it use too. It was definitely worth it, but I don't believe it should have cost $1,900 to do. We saved so much on the RV and that it is a non factor. Besides I use part of my $7,000 reserves from not buying the Extended warranty to pay for.

My point earlier is that I just think between, Ford, TMC, Winnebago others that use F-53 should be forced to sit down in room and come up with recommended fix for existing coaches. Did I have to do no; but it was problematic enough for me to pay $1,900 to see what it would do. Once done, I didn't ask for a refund and I am pleased with the results. Seems like the labor was about right, but both front & rear springs should have only cost about $700. Had total cost been around $1,300, it would be what I view as reasonable (that is just my uneducated opinion).

In my case, it is all fixed now, but it is by far my #1 Peeve with Coach. Not necessarily a fault of Ford or Winnebago or Thor, but you can make those Chassis safer. One other concluding point, I researched multiple forums, and I never saw or read of any owner that had bought Sumos and thought they made their coach worse; so they took them off? I also could NOT find any USED ones anywhere, and you can bet your sweet tooty I tried
Old 08-30-2021, 04:02 AM   #28

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
My only complaint about owning a Thor motor coach is that I have to repair something after every trip. Sure, some repairs are caused by the horrible roads in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama but most are directly related to Thor's poor build quality.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #29

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Hate?? maybe too strong unless my cap starts falling off, then we'll use hate.

Annoyed;

* Cheap materials in some cases. Toilet while it is porcelain, is an entry level and poor town design.

* Shower flimsy and pan poorly supported.

* Air conditioning ducting has gaps (see separate post on that)

* RV queen bed instead of real type

* Theater seats that are crappy, no support and no recline

* Ultra level which is violent instead of other systems which are better , Level Up for example

* Tankless water heater which wastes water and fills grey tank too fast

* Lack of option for dual pane windows

* Rapid camp with no back up real switches. Nice while new but dread when it wears out

* The fear that mine will also develop the "front cap falling off and separation syndrome". It that happens annoy will go to intense vindictive hate.

What I like;

* Solid wood cabinets

* F550 chassis

* Overall open feel for the size coach ( I'm used to bigger RVs)

* Kitchen appliances which work well for our style travel ( it did take a bit for her to adapt to the convection instead of a gas oven)

* Overall smaller length that is easier to maneuver especially easier than previous 39' 5th wheel toy hauler

* Nothing "fell off" during travels. That in itself it notable
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:27 AM   #30

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
The only thing I hate about ours is the totally worthless dealer that we purchased from-the only Aria dealer around. Once the sale was closed it took a miracle to get the rig in for 8 pages of warranty work, a number of which still were not fixed after they had the coach 4 months over the first Winter. They never followed up to see our level of satisfaction with the rig nor were very courteous when we held them accountable.

So, at every opportunity I steer folks away from that dealer-must have cost them close to 1 Mil already, in lost sales.
Gary

GVP
Old 08-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I don't where you bought your Sumo springs, but a set of four Sumo Maxims or my coach were $1126 including shipping in 2016. Fortunately I still had my shop, so I was able to install them myself. You must follow the instructions exactly to get the max benefits from the Maxims. True they do increase the spring rate, but they will eliminate the hard impact when the coach hits the stock bump stops. The Maxims counteract the body roll by stretching on the inside of a turn and compressing on the outside of the turn just like an stiffer anti-roll bar (anti-sway bar). Any steering wander can be corrected by differential air pressures, camber wedges, rear track bar and chassis alignment. I won't get into a discussion of anti-roll bars because the Hurricane is the first vehicle I have ever owned without 4 wheel independent suspension. Even my 1968 UltraVan Class A coach had 4 wheel independent suspension
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:53 AM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I don't where you bought your Sumo springs, but a set of four Sumo Maxims or my coach were $1126 including shipping in 2016. Fortunately I still had my shop, so I was able to install them myself. You must follow the instructions exactly to get the max benefits from the Maxims. True they do increase the spring rate, but they will eliminate the hard impact when the coach hits the stock bump stops. The Maxims counteract the body roll by stretching on the inside of a turn and compressing on the outside of the turn just like an stiffer anti-roll bar (anti-sway bar). Any steering wander can be corrected by differential air pressures, camber wedges, rear track bar and chassis alignment. I won't get into a discussion of anti-roll bars because the Hurricane is the first vehicle I have ever owned without 4 wheel independent suspension. Even my 1968 UltraVan Class A coach had 4 wheel independent suspension
Wish I could explain it like that I just go by the old drive test, it handles a lot better when driving around the city and on interstates at high speeds. One area I can really tell the difference is when driving on the interstate at 70 mph beside a 18 wheeler in between barriers on both sides of the highway. I just keep looking straight ahead. Even in the curves I am in full control. Now my wife freaks out thinking the side mirrors are gonna touch, but I never look; so I never know. I just stay in my lane. Safe T Plus helps with some of that

This rig looks similar to mine. I watched what the Installers did, they earned their money. I am glad I got it done.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #33

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I listed these on the Likes thread but here are my list of dislikes again. Thor deserves the double exposure!!

BMPro touchscreen control panel. I prefer real switches to having to go to the touch screen to turn on a light, retract a slide, etc. The tank gauges are no more accurate than the old LEDs.

Small shower, but to be honest it works ok for us. Can't really complain much. It was the only way to work a dry bath into that layout.

Cheap cabinets and paneling

And one more: The absolutely horrible way Thor mounted the new wide radio and camera display screen on newer Axis/Vegas. The screen falls out when you hit a bump and is only supported by a few cheap plastic moldings- looks tacked on which it is. Not enough support for that heavy radio which is attached to the screen behind it.

David
Almost the same list for me.

We have the Lippert One Control rather than the BMPro. It is one of my top annoyances and is totally unnecessary in a 25 foot RV. Pure marketing fluff!

My other prime annoyance is the lack of cooling on a hot day in the sun. I have done every improvement listed in various posts and it is now up to barely adequate. The main problem is inadequate insulation.

As to handling, an alignment, new Bilstein steering dampener, and front Sumo's have greatly improved handling to an acceptable level.

I won't waste time on the minor issues.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #34

THOR #6414
1) Schwintek Slide is junk
2) Mud Flaps are a death trap (cut down tire once already)
3) 26B is too much for the E350 Chassis (was on E450 when I ordered it) I've had it releafed at a truck shop which also corrected the driver spring fatigue from being overweight on the driver spring.
4) Poor video feed quality on Axerra due to installation angle not facing driver
5) A/C is insufficient due to poor quality roof units
6) Lacks modern day dash display and steering wheel controls (it's a moving van chassis)
7) Furnace sounds like a commercial jet liner doing an engine runup when it is on
8) Bathroom faucet is not integrated with bowl so water runs all over countertop vs back into the sink
9) Electrical outlets are poorly located for consumer use
10) The low water point drains empty the water inside beneath the bed (oops)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #35

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
1) Schwintek Slide is junk
2) Mud Flaps are a death trap (cut down tire once already)
3) 26B is too much for the E350 Chassis (was on E450 when I ordered it) I've had it releafed at a truck shop which also corrected the driver spring fatigue from being overweight on the driver spring.
4) Poor video feed quality on Axerra due to installation angle not facing driver
5) A/C is insufficient due to poor quality roof units
6) Lacks modern day dash display and steering wheel controls (it's a moving van chassis)
7) Furnace sounds like a commercial jet liner doing an engine runup when it is on
8) Bathroom faucet is not integrated with bowl so water runs all over countertop vs back into the sink
9) Electrical outlets are poorly located for consumer use
10) The low water point drains empty the water inside beneath the bed (oops)
What happened?

) Mud Flaps are a death trap (cut down tire once already
Old 09-02-2021, 12:23 AM   #36

Model: A.C.E. 30.3
State: Ohio
THOR #20405
My toad doesn’t get 30mpg!
Old 09-02-2021, 12:26 AM   #37

THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
What happened?

) Mud Flaps are a death trap (cut down tire once already

The makeshift way they attach to the fiberglass gave way and the end of the metal mud flap retainer wobbled and got caught in between the duals and cut down the inner dual on the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0922190857.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	33263  
Old 09-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #38

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
My #1.Waiting until it is delivered.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #39

THOR #20220
My #1 We hate nothing
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #40

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Top Ten Things I hate About My RV?

1 through 10. THE FRIGGIN MONEY!!!!
Attached Images

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote