Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So the question becomes: "How do you get her share of the driving cut back a bit; without hurting her feelings?"
Is that possible? I am lucky my wife doesn’t want to drive she handles the kids in the back and I don’t complain. I handle the driving and she doesn’t complain.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think I just graduated to, "slower than slug"...
At 47 mph: my Smart just got 71.3 mpg!
That's a Toad with a tiny appetite!
Old 08-02-2020, 07:39 PM   #43

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I think I just graduated to, "slower than slug"...
At 47 mph: my Smart just got 71.3 mpg!
That's a Toad with a tiny appetite!
Wow that’s nuts!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:43 AM   #44

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
SLC is terrible to drive a coach through they are nuts. I would rather drive in LA. At least there is a reason why it’s crazy there is 20 million people on the road.

Been off line a couple of days and just saw this thread. Absolutely right, SLC folks are nuts once they turn the key and aim....

We're in Draper and our rig is stored in Pleasant Grove down I15 South. We definitely keep our heads on swivels when we pick up the rig regardless of what road we're on. I usually run around 70 MPH in the I15 here, distantly following a big rig, or occasionally another MH, though most are going too slow for my taste, some doing 50 in the 75 zone, just waiting for the cell phone dialer to rear-end them.
Love all the responses, folks!

Also, my wife won't drive the Aria due to the aforementioned drivers here in SLC, and I don't blame her a bit. She sees to the critters and the snacks/drinks while I navigate the minefields (potholes) and the traffic.
GVP
Old 08-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Wow that’s nuts!
Low and slow...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1596455174
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Paint 04.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	25379  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #46

State: Texas
THOR #19826
I’m a female driver and my rig operates best at 63-65 w/toad. I’m comfortable with the handling but usually stay in right lane or one in Especially when entering towns with tons of entrance ramps. Until I get out of Texas on the interstate many zoom past due to 75mph speed limit. I’m never in a hurry to get on down the road.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #47

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
Been off line a couple of days and just saw this thread. Absolutely right, SLC folks are nuts once they turn the key and aim....

We're in Draper and our rig is stored in Pleasant Grove down I15 South. We definitely keep our heads on swivels when we pick up the rig regardless of what road we're on. I usually run around 70 MPH in the I15 here, distantly following a big rig, or occasionally another MH, though most are going too slow for my taste, some doing 50 in the 75 zone, just waiting for the cell phone dialer to rear-end them.
Love all the responses, folks!

Also, my wife won't drive the Aria due to the aforementioned drivers here in SLC, and I don't blame her a bit. She sees to the critters and the snacks/drinks while I navigate the minefields (potholes) and the traffic.
GVP
It’s nuts I don’t understand it. Driven by car, pulling trailer and now the coach it’s the craziest place to drive. Of all the places that’s probably my least favorite stretch of road. I would much rather drive Seattle or LA. There is a ton more traffic but just seems more organized.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #48

THOR #2121
I decide on speed as I go. There are too many variables for me to follow a predetermined objective.

At one extreme I drive slowly when on a scenic route I’ve never driven before in a larger motorhome as long as I’m not affecting traffic behind me. Taking in the sites and enjoying the moment is most important.

At other extreme I drive pretty fast when mostly going from point A to point B on a road I’ve driven often in a van or small C motorhome. Getting to final destination is most important in this scenario.

Most driven miles fall somewhere in the middle. The main variable that affects speed more than anything else is RV size. The smaller the motorhome the faster I drive on average, which is a big plus I like about Class Bs.

On larger motorhomes or when towing camping trailers I rarely go over 65 MPH due to fuel economy. With van campers I’ve driven over 80 MPH for extended periods to blend in with traffic or when in a hurry.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:22 AM   #49

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
It’s nuts I don’t understand it. Driven by car, pulling trailer and now the coach it’s the craziest place to drive. Of all the places that’s probably my least favorite stretch of road. I would much rather drive Seattle or LA. There is a ton more traffic but just seems more organized.

LA is nuts for sure! I don't know how OJ and crew made it down the 405 going so slow. We were on the 405 in a U-Haul after picking up some truck parts-were nearly run off the road a number of times!
GVP
Old 08-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #50

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Between 62 and 65 for me. At that speed I can stay in the right lane and others can pass me quickly. Every once in a while I have to slow down behind a truck going up hill.

When I retired last year I stopped getting in a hurry. Besides, our RV feels much more stable at that speed even when a big truck passes.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #51

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
When the toad is on the back, I'm sticking to 65/68mph, when its not then its 70/75. Whether you want to see the sights or not there's a lot of stresses going through a 6/7 ton outfit on a hot day, hour after hour at 70mph and the cost of a blow out can be very much more that just money and a ruined vacation....
Here, in Europe, the big trucks are limited by law to 56mph so as long as I'm cruising by those guys and pulling in so others can overtake, then I'm happy. We're off touring France next week and plant to do around 2/3000 miles in the four weeks we're away. Its going to be hot down soith and I want to do all my miles safely, but each to their own.....
Old 08-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #52

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bverouden View Post
I am definitely the tortoise -slow and steady while driving. I set cruise max 65 mph on good interstate roads and just chug along. Omg just logged 4000 miles last 3 months and there are definitely some jack rabbit rv drivers out there seen lots of 85 plus mph. I like to finish the race
Your house is on your back.....tortoise for sure and proud of it. 65 is good for me and DP and TT who like their speed.....that's just the way it is. Driving an extra 5 mph for 20 hours gets you 100 miles down the road further over 20 hours and so what?
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #53

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
THOR #18658
Exclamation What is to0 SLOW/FAST

I am one of the right lane snails for many reasons:
(1) I am driving a very expensive port-a-pot
(2) I am NOT in any hurry (always provision adequate time)
(3) Mt fuel economy (YES $$$) seems much better at 61-63 than 70+
(4) It much more of a calm drive experience
(5) I see a lot more
(6) I am NOT breaking any laws
(7) I always take advantage of "SLOW VEHICLE" turn-outs
(8) I seemingly always ARRIVE ALIVE!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #54

State: Florida
THOR #15940
I drive the speed limit and that is still slower than most of the surrounding traffic. In States like Washington if you are driving slow and hold up more than 6 Vehicles behind you they can actually ticket you even if you driving almost the speed limit. In Florida on the turnpike and I-95 most places the speed limit is 70, you can get away with doing 65 in the slow lane but not much less than that without becoming a menace. People start passing you aggressively and you could cause an accident because you're a tortoise. You may or may not be directly involved in a crash but you're at least partially responsible for the inconsiderately slow driving.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #55

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Our son & family live in the Seattle area & has to be by far the most inconsiderate bunch of drivers I've ever encountered.
Going the speed limit, or at least 10 mph over, gets you 1 finger waves.
Not yeilding to the traffic merging into the freeway, which I thought should be the other way around, gets you 1 finger waves.
If changing lanes, turn on your blinker & 5 cars dart in front of you all waving with 1 finger.
If you're not 1/2 way through the intersection when the light turns green gets you horns honking & 1 finger waves.
So many 1 finger waves I'm betting they sell gloves there that only have the middle finger.
IMHO everything about Seattle sucks, traffic, the weather, the extremely high prices for everything, rude inconsiderate people & the traffic. BTW did I mention the traffic?
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6805 View Post
I am one of the right lane snails for many reasons:
(1) I am driving a very expensive port-a-pot
(2) I am NOT in any hurry (always provision adequate time)
(3) Mt fuel economy (YES $$$) seems much better at 61-63 than 70+
(4) It much more of a calm drive experience
(5) I see a lot more
(6) I am NOT breaking any laws
(7) I always take advantage of "SLOW VEHICLE" turn-outs
(8) I seemingly always ARRIVE ALIVE!
Amen!
We must be related!
Old 08-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #57

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
THOR #18658
Exclamation Seattle Area Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Our son & family live in the Seattle area & has to be by far the most inconsiderate bunch of drivers I've ever encountered.
Going the speed limit, or at least 10 mph over, gets you 1 finger waves.
Not yeilding to the traffic merging into the freeway, which I thought should be the other way around, gets you 1 finger waves.
If changing lanes, turn on your blinker & 5 cars dart in front of you all waving with 1 finger.
If you're not 1/2 way through the intersection when the light turns green gets you horns honking & 1 finger waves.
So many 1 finger waves I'm betting they sell gloves there that only have the middle finger.
IMHO everything about Seattle sucks, traffic, the weather, the extremely high prices for everything, rude inconsiderate people & the traffic. BTW did I mention the traffic?
We live 110 miles north of Seattle on I-5 (at the Canada Boundary) and I will agree with everything you suggest about this regions drivers. I the last 6 years we have north of 60K RV miles (Alaska, Blaine ME, Tallahassee, Houston, etc.) and have had many personality suggestions from abrasive and opinionated drivers. Seattle while it amplifies driver attitudes by no means has a corner on that market.
The sweet spot on my Cummins 6.7L happens to be about 1700 RPM and that typically settles at around 61-62 MPH with the ERS Locked in 5th to prevent shift search on hills).
As I already stated . . . I seemingly always ARRIVE ALIVE.
Being a retired Marine my skin is thicker than most?
Old 08-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #58

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
Not a snail

I don't drive 75 or even 85, common here in Texas. It sue as heck is not skill that makes me drive at about 65 or a little more. My v10 f53 is happy at 65. RPM is at 2100 and smooth quiet. I have time to look around and see stuff as I drive. Paid a lot for the privilege and I enjoy it like I want to. You want to pass? Go ahead, who cares. My unit, my family, my America. If you are so blinded by the need for speed that you think anyone not driving as fast as you is not skillful enough otherwise they would be going as fast as you, you are seriously deluded.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:20 PM   #59

Model: Miramar
State: Kentucky
THOR #1533
I go with the speed limit, road conditions and what the wife tells me. After 48 years, she is right and I am smart enough to listen to her strong , forceful directions. Ever since we were 14 yo I admit I am wrapped around her finger. Happy Trails.
2014 Miramar 34.2
Rineyville, KY (Fort Knox)
Bob n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #60

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Indiana
THOR #16561
I don't have any set speed. I will drive between 55 and 75 depending on roughness of road, traffic patterns, etc.. no difference between towing or not. Rig doesn't seem to care.
I try to be considerate when allowed but I don't deal well with stupid. Indiana has some very rough interstates and more than our share of idiots with a driving license.
Over the 4th of July we went to Michigan, in 100 miles one vehicle passed 5 or 6 times. He had no idea how fast he wanted to drive. I had cruise set on 69 and tried hard to ignore his antics.

If there is a right answer , I will buy a clue!!!!