Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Our son & family live in the Seattle area & has to be by far the most inconsiderate bunch of drivers I've ever encountered.
Going the speed limit, or at least 10 mph over, gets you 1 finger waves.
Not yeilding to the traffic merging into the freeway, which I thought should be the other way around, gets you 1 finger waves.
If changing lanes, turn on your blinker & 5 cars dart in front of you all waving with 1 finger.
If you're not 1/2 way through the intersection when the light turns green gets you horns honking & 1 finger waves.
So many 1 finger waves I'm betting they sell gloves there that only have the middle finger.
IMHO everything about Seattle sucks, traffic, the weather, the extremely high prices for everything, rude inconsiderate people & the traffic. BTW did I mention the traffic?
Haha the traffic can suck if you just aren’t used to it I guess. It’s definitely a hammer down situation and if you aren’t in the right lanes you better be going 10 to 20 mph over the limit. I guess not different then LA. I guess that’s why it doesn’t bother me. When I moved to Dallas I used to think that was terrible traffic and if I wanted to get anywhere fast had to take the George Bush or Dallas north tollway to get anywhere. Pissed me off I had to pay for the privilege to go the speed limit.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #62

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
My ace is happiest at 60-65 with the toad which has a 65mph limit, but in KS and OK where we live, But a lot of the time it’s 50-60 depending on the 40-50mph cross winds out in the Great Plains. But given a good tailwind 70 will work where as a 50 mph headwind not so fast.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #63

Model: 2018 four winds 31 w
State: Texas
THOR #10089
I love a parade

The law says you must not travel under 40 mph on the interstate
So 65 is good for me. The person in front of me might be going 70 but I am only 5 min. behind Him in an hours time. Enjoy the journey
Old 08-05-2020, 11:13 PM   #64

Model: Infinity
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12753
I hit the cruise control at whatever the speed limit is and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:52 PM   #65
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
In California, 55 while towing is the law. Truckers never go 55 unless there is a CHP or CHP airplane spotted. Then the CB lights up and all go 55. With a new RV I go 55. Then after a few short trips I get comfortable and go 60. Before I know it I am at 65. This is the max I will go towing a towed. Things happen fast with weight and I did not make it to retirement and through cancer to end it all by taking unnecessary risks.

That being said. 65 mph is standard with 75 mph in a few areas in California. The minimum speed limit on the highway is 45 mph. Ever find yourself suddenly trapped by the front vehicle switching lanes at the last second to leave you behind the 45 mph driver? Cannot change lanes because it is occupied. Glad I do not tailgate and go over the speed limit. Twice I barely slowed to 45 before creaming the $^@*. Both were using cell phones! Both times were with the diesel dully and fifth wheel with disk brakes. If I did not have disk breaks on the fifth wheel, I would have taken them out. Best safety feature for a fifth wheel is disk breaks.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:58 AM   #66

State: Ontario
THOR #17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Jamie's view is fair.

How many here have a spouse who won't drive the rv?
Why not?

My spouse (he, not she) just doesn't like driving, it makes him tense.

I love driving so I've always done the majority. If we're going to have a long day, he starts in the morning and then I take over for the rest of the day.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:00 AM   #67

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I will set the cruise at 67-68 mph and enjoy the drive in the right lane, if I come up on slower traffic I will speed up and go around and hit the resume button.
And if you assume that I don't have the skill set or talent to drive any faster, you would be wrong very wrong, I assure you I have the skill and talent to drive much much faster, but I am on vacation and enjoying the drive.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #68

Model: DX 40
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12998
Better mileage

With our Cummins 450, the difference between 60 an 70 is one MPG. That is more than an extra 100 miles per tank. As full timers, we are rarely in a hurry. However we love saving money.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #69

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
I have driven class B and now a class C (B+) motorhomes and the speed you drive is what you are comfortable with but on some of the highways and interstates you want to be sure that everything is secure as the condition of some roads will break every dish in the cupboards and move anything not secured will be in different place when you stop.
I have driven in all of Canada and many US states including Alaska and I would not even think about doing the speed limit on many of them, the worst IMHO is I-81 from Wilkes Barre PA to Harrisburg and the Yellowknife Highway going into Yellowknife NWT Canada, they put a new meaning on Rock and Roll. The Alcan is even better than I-81
Coveman2 AKA Turtle2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
2007 Roadtrek 210 P
Old 08-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yeah... -81 is... interesting!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #71

State: North Carolina
THOR #19013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
I have driven class B and now a class C (B+) motorhomes and the speed you drive is what you are comfortable with but on some of the highways and interstates you want to be sure that everything is secure as the condition of some roads will break every dish in the cupboards and move anything not secured will be in different place when you stop.
I have driven in all of Canada and many US states including Alaska and I would not even think about doing the speed limit on many of them, the worst IMHO is I-81 from Wilkes Barre PA to Harrisburg and the Yellowknife Highway going into Yellowknife NWT Canada, they put a new meaning on Rock and Roll. The Alcan is even better than I-81
Coveman2 AKA Turtle2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
2007 Roadtrek 210 P
Coveman2 i just did the I81 with construction mad truckers its an experience lol I am originally from Ontario would love to do a Canadian cross country trip but seems Canada thinks USA is one big infected petri dish not sure I will get across border for a couple of years fingers crossed
Old 08-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #72

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
Slow and Steady

Once I retired I quickly learned two things: there is no hurry on the highway or in city traffic - you're retired, so enjoy the scenery and the harried faces of your competitors.
Thing two: When getting on the airplaine to a great destination, skip the food and sit back and anticipate your fine meal at your destination's great restaurant. Anyone can go 3 or 4 hours without eating (smoking).
Old 08-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #73

THOR #17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by bverouden View Post
I am definitely the tortoise -slow and steady while driving. I set cruise max 65 mph on good interstate roads and just chug along. Omg just logged 4000 miles last 3 months and there are definitely some jack rabbit rv drivers out there seen lots of 85 plus mph. I like to finish the race

I'm with you KW. I used to work with a man that raced at Daytona.

Someone told us that he drove his mini van like a race car - big mistake. You need to drive not just to your skill and conditions but also in a way appropriate to your vehicle.

I go at the right speed for all of the above and if I end up with traffic behind me I find a place to pull over and let them go past.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #74

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
'I go at the right speed for all of the above and if I end up with traffic behind me I find a place to pull over and let them go past'

Perfectly fair.

Get the skills,
use the skills,
realize you're a hindrance and remove yourself from the situation.

Thanks for your post.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #75

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ldS-gnKWVK5BbS

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #76

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
want to be sure that everything is secure as the condition of some roads will break every dish in the cupboards and move anything not secured will be in different place when you stop.
Coveman - Hmm maybe that explains why when hubby drives the cabinets come flying open and the contents pour out LOLOL.

I-81 in PA is always under construction, you would think by now they would have it figured out. I can't stand driving it with my 4-wheeler I can't imagine with the RV.

Hubby and I both found out our Four Winds likes it right around 65 and then 72ish. She just handles real sweet and for me it seemed like I noticed there was less of a crosswind. I don't tend to be white knuckled on major interstates but on smaller, two-lane roads I am.

On highways where exit/entrance lanes are quite often I tend to stay in the 3rd lane, leaving the 4th lane for those exiting and entering the highway. If I am on a two-lane road/highway and notice cars starting to pile up behind me I'll pull over as soon as I can and let them pass.

After all these years I've just decided I am not in a rush and take my time. If someone is in a rush they can either pass me or I'll pull over and let them go their way.

Oh shoot, wanted to add, wish there was a way to acknowledge that you liked or thought a post was funny. Like some sort of emoticon or something as I enjoyed reading all the responses but didn't want to just post to say 'how funny' or 'right on' LOLOL
Cat
Camping- Where Friends & Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time.
2017 Thor Four Winds - wherever the road takes us!
KrisCatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:04 AM   #77

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Haha the traffic can suck if you just aren’t used to it I guess. It’s definitely a hammer down situation and if you aren’t in the right lanes you better be going 10 to 20 mph over the limit. I guess not different then LA. I guess that’s why it doesn’t bother me. When I moved to Dallas I used to think that was terrible traffic and if I wanted to get anywhere fast had to take the George Bush or Dallas north tollway to get anywhere. Pissed me off I had to pay for the privilege to go the speed limit.
Have driven towing large trailers in Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, most of the large cities in Texas plus several others across the country so I'm use to driving in traffic. IMHO I-5 is the worst traffic of anywhere & Seattle would get my vote as the worst traffic with the most inconsiderate drivers of any city I've driven through.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:19 AM   #78

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
I'm one of the slow ones but I'm retired and it's my turn to not be in a hurry. I spent most of my life trying to get from point A to point B running short on time.
Now, I enjoy the ride. I set my cruise at 65-67 mph on interstates and ride the right lane.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:17 AM   #79

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
Drive with the trucks put on cruse and relax. Maybe except I 90 in WA and Id state where they wreck a tractor trailer ever few days.
The 85 is max speed, Idaho can write a ticket for unsafe speed at any speed. Try driving I15 south of salt lake at 85 in the winter, to many people think the speed limit is for all seasons.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:05 AM   #80

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Between I-35 in Waco or I-81 in PA, I'll take I-81.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote