Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2017, 01:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Tow bar question

Being fairly new at this, a question concerning tow systems. We have a 31-foot Thor Quantum. We are purchasing a basic Jeep Wrangler to tow. I am told the Blue Ox is a great brand of tow system. Anyone have a recommendation for a specific model that is best? I am looking at the Blue Ox Acclaim BX 4330 - steel, 5,000-pound Class III. Good choice?

Old 08-07-2017, 01:42 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Blue Ox and Roadmaster are the two most popular brands...
Wide range within each of them.

Personally I prefer a bar mounted/stored on the MH that attaches to the toad when towing (directly into the 2" receiver rather than ball connection) - but it is just a preference...

Some tow bars require the vehicles be properly aligned/level to connect/disconnect - others allow for angles... Decide if that is important to you.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 AM   #3

State: Illinois
THOR #857
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
Being fairly new at this, a question concerning tow systems. We have a 31-foot Thor Quantum. We are purchasing a basic Jeep Wrangler to tow. I am told the Blue Ox is a great brand of tow system. Anyone have a recommendation for a specific model that is best? I am looking at the Blue Ox Acclaim BX 4330 - steel, 5,000-pound Class III. Good choice?
I tow a Jeep Wrangler also. I have used a Blue Ox Alpha towbar for 5 years with no problems. I also use a Blue Ox baseplate on the Jeep and the Blue Ox Patriot brake system.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:06 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Greg and I agree once again. I have used an Aventa bar for about 10 years. Last summer, I stopped by the plant in Pender, NE, and they asked if I would like them to check my tow bars. I said sure, and they took them to the shop and put in new bushings and seals. I had a brief chat with the CEO, and had previously taken the plant tour. They also have RV hookups at no charge. But then, Pender is in the middle of farm and ranch country!

Aventa is the heavier duty bar, more than I need, but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. The Alpha should be plenty for a tow up to 6500 pounds. They are easy to connect, and store on the coach.

Were I to buy again, my personal preference is Blue Ox over Roadmaster. My current car doesn't have a BO base plate available, so I now have a RM plate with an adapter to my BO arms.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:01 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
I tow my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a Blue Ox Alpha and BO baseplate. However, I use a RVi2 Brake. Tow bar easy and fast to hook up. Brake system is simple too.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
I also use the Blue OX Aventa on my Wrangler unlimited. Blue ox base plate as well.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
I guess I'll give Road Master a plug. I am using the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, 2" Hitch - 6,000 lbs capacity. My wife & I were total newbie's to towing when we got set up to tow. With the self equalizing bars it makes it quite easy to hook-up it not lined up straight. I also feel better about the security of the 2" receiver and like being able to fold the bar up at the back of the coach.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Ro...MaAiESEALw_wcB
Old 08-08-2017, 03:17 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I guess I'll give Road Master a plug. I am using the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, 2" Hitch - 6,000 lbs capacity. My wife & I were total newbie's to towing when we got set up to tow. With the self equalizing bars it makes it quite easy to hook-up it not lined up straight. I also feel better about the security of the 2" receiver and like being able to fold the bar up at the back of the coach.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Ro...MaAiESEALw_wcB
I use the same to tow my Wrangler... With the Roadmaster Invisibrake as well.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Whatever brand you choose, consider a non-binding tow bar. This way you can easily remove the tow vehicle regardless (within limits) of the terrain. Non-binding tow bars make for easier disconnect especially when you are not on level ground. They do cost more but can be worth it in the end.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #10

Model: ACE
THOR #7414
Great combination, Thor ACE, Jeep Wrangler, and Blue Ox base plate with Alpha tow bar. You will love it.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Two years ago when I shopped for my tow bar setup I priced both Blue
Ox and Roadmaster. Roadmaster was offered at Camping World and
even with my Good Sam membership it was $5200 installed.

I did some shopping around and bought a Blue Ox 10K tow bar setup
with braking unit for $3100 installed.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #12

THOR #7414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
Two years ago when I shopped for my tow bar setup I priced both Blue
Ox and Roadmaster. Roadmaster was offered at Camping World and
even with my Good Sam membership it was $5200 installed.

I did some shopping around and bought a Blue Ox 10K tow bar setup
with braking unit for $3100 installed.
I never get a good price at Camping World. Always shop around - often find the best deals from a local supplier, or service person.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:47 AM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Many thanks

I sure do appreciate all of the responses and seasoned advice everyone has offered. Very helpful. I am certain that once I have acquired my Jeep and am ready to get into the tow package, I will have more questions, especially about the braking system I will need. Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:54 AM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
Another voice for blue oz. Full package with brakes, breast plate, tow bar and switch to turn most battery drain from my 2014 CR V. Never backup and all is good.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #15

THOR #7414
Braking system

Quote:
I sure do appreciate all of the responses and seasoned advice everyone has offered. Very helpful. I am certain that once I have acquired my Jeep and am ready to get into the tow package, I will have more questions, especially about the braking system I will need. Thanks again.
Take a serious look at the RVibrake3, it is a system developed by the inventors of the BrakeBuddy system. When they sold BrakeBuddy there was non competition clause which ran for a period of 5 years. In the mean time they worked on a new and better version. When the five years were up they launched the RVibrake system. The RVibrake3 is the latest version. I use it and it is the simplest system out there and it woks perfect on my Jeep Wrangler.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
+1 on the Blue Ox Aventa and the iBrake

I like how the Aventa gives me the ability to hook up the toad on a wide variety of level conditions. And I the iBrake is a nice easy hook up and works flawlessly.....
Old 08-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I don't have experience flat towing at all, but I really like the looks of the readybrute tow bar with readybrake system
RV Tow Bars
Several folks over on another forum I visit tow Jeeps with them, some for many years.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #18

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I like the ReadyBrake mechanical system. No electronics to fail. It basically turns your setup into a surge braking system using the towed vehicle brakes pulled via a cable. I have used other braking systems (electronic) and they've let me down a few times. I have moved the ReadyBrake setup from one vehicle to another with no issue. NSA RV Products - Ready Brake and Ready Brute Home
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #19

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Have had and used a Blue Ox Aladdin for the last 10 years. No complaints with it. Its fairly light weight, stores easily on the back of the motorhome, has a 5000 pound capacity. I towed a 3100 pound HHR.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Mississippi
THOR #24459
I have been using roadmaster 576 all terrain tow bar for 15+ years and I must say the Roadmaster 576 is the best gift I've ever given myself! If you are using an older tow bar assembly I highly suggest upgrading. I wish I had done this sooner. This tow bar has an 8,000-pound towing capacity. It is made of stainless steel and aluminum. This particular model of Roadmaster really impressed me. As its name suggests, it works well with any kind of terrain.