Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #61

State: Alaska
THOR #13281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
We tow a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic. It is an automatic and can be flat-towed by simply turning the key on and leaving it in neutral. No modification to drive train needed. I installed a kill switch to disable all electrical when towing, so no dead battery upon arrival. And a bonus...because electric is disabled, no mileage is added to car.

My electric isn’t disabled and the miles don’t go on either.
Didn’t go on the other vehicles that I towed either, all Jeeps.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chanteau
State: Arizona
THOR #12515
So not only you have to buy something like a Blue Ox tow bar kit, you also have to get a braking system? If so what brands do you all use?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #63

Model: Freedom Elite 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #4938
I am new at towing and I just set up a 2014 Honda CRV? is it safe to assume you can lock the car door why are towing
Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #64

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I can't think of any reason not to lock the car doors and there are plenty of reasons to lock them. I always lock mine. Just be sure your only key is not locked in the car.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #65
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones3211 View Post
I am new at towing and I just set up a 2014 Honda CRV? is it safe to assume you can lock the car door why are towing
I lock my Sonic every time it's towed.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #66
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
I can't think of any reason not to lock the car doors and there are plenty of reasons to lock them. I always lock mine. Just be sure your only key is not locked in the car.
I agree: keep track of your car keys!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #67

THOR #12515
Another towing question. What kind of add on braking system do you use on the towed vehicle, if any
Old 10-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #68

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Back on page 2 there was a discussion of braking systems. I suggest you look at that.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #69

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
We bought a new 2018 Ford Fiesta that can be towed 4 down 17K. Then went and bought new tow bar system and brake controler 3,500 installed. Towed about 12 miles at 60Mph and felt a tug on the RV, pulled over and found all the fluids pouring out the bottom of the Fiesta. Some how after 12 miles driving at 60mph the car went into gear and blew the engine and trans? Ford said Im not the first one this has happened to. Insurance covered the cost of the Fiesta and the extras (tow bar system).
So now we own a 2018 Focus and a new Master tow dolly with surge brakes, and so far have had no issues. Yes it takes a little longer to hook up but Im 62 in good shape and retired and have plenty of time to hook up. We have three cars and now can take any that we want.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #70

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeroe66 View Post
Another towing question. What kind of add on braking system do you use on the towed vehicle, if any
I tow a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have Blue Ox base plate and use a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with integrated braking system. Also added the emergency brake away system that is required in most states. The tow bar and brake work great. It is cheaper than electronic braking systems. It's totally mechanical, which I prefer, but some folks like the electronic type. I have had no problems and it was easy to install the brake cable. There is a good series of videos by "wearemudfun" on youtube that covers this for jeeps. I know some folks that use this same system with other vehicles but not sure if there are any issues with them.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:49 AM   #71

THOR #12515
Trying to decide between blue ox or Nighthawk, any thoughts?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #72

Model: Fourwind Super C
THOR #11938
https://www.towtower.com/
Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #73

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Towtower looks like a clever setup but I bet the hitch weight will be a real problem for anything less than the heaviest of hitches...especially on motorhomes. People already have issues with simple flat towing. The possible leverage from the road bumps will double the load on the hitch receiver. If the car is only 4000#, at least 60% of this weight will be in the front. That equates to a hitch weight (not towing capacity) of 2400 pounds!! Am I missing something here?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #74

Model: Fourwind Super C
THOR #11938
I thought the same thing Griz, I have a 10,000lb hitch and still think it might be a bit much, but when physics takes over it might not have as much of an effect as we think. I thinking of going this route but would need more info from the company
Old 10-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #75

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
We bought a new 2018 Ford Fiesta that can be towed 4 down 17K. Then went and bought new tow bar system and brake controler 3,500 installed. Towed about 12 miles at 60Mph and felt a tug on the RV, pulled over and found all the fluids pouring out the bottom of the Fiesta. Some how after 12 miles driving at 60mph the car went into gear and blew the engine and trans? Ford said Im not the first one this has happened to. Insurance covered the cost of the Fiesta and the extras (tow bar system).
So now we own a 2018 Focus and a new Master tow dolly with surge brakes, and so far have had no issues. Yes it takes a little longer to hook up but Im 62 in good shape and retired and have plenty of time to hook up. We have three cars and now can take any that we want.

Was your Fiesta an automatic or manual transmission? Just curious. How can a car shift itself into gear?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #76

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #2408
When we first got our motorhome I looked into a trailer for my Saturn Sky. Quickly realized that it would be one more piece of equipment that I would need to maintain, store, insure, etc. Elected to buy a manual transmission VW and get a BlueOx package. I have told many people that it is the best decision I made regarding our RV. Easy and quick.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #77

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourwinds View Post
I thought the same thing Gritz, I have a 10,000lb hitch and still think it might be a bit much, but when physics takes over it might not have as much of an effect as we think. I thinking of going this route but would need more info from the company

All you have to do is weigh the front "axle". This is how much weight you are putting downward on the hitch...which is a bit extended already with this setup. Hitch capacity is measured at 4" from the reinforced outer face of the receiver. My hitch and tow capacity is 1,000/10,000. No way would I trust this. First set of swells through Mississippi and away goes the toad. There must be more to it than I'm seeing.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #78

THOR #13281
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Towtower looks like a clever setup but I bet the hitch weight will be a real problem for anything less than the heaviest of hitches...especially on motorhomes. People already have issues with simple flat towing. The possible leverage from the road bumps will double the load on the hitch receiver. If the car is only 4000#, at least 60% of this weight will be in the front. That equates to a hitch weight (not towing capacity) of 2400 pounds!! Am I missing something here?

Hitch weight is usually around 10-20 %.
I remember a friend of mine had a neat little scale to park the hitch on to measure the weight.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #79

THOR #11130
Usual is the key here. Most real trailers have the axle(s) a little rear of the center of the trailer, balancing the load on the trailer which reduces actual hitch weight. In the case of the Towtower, the rear axle of the "trailer" (your toad) is at the extreme rear, which places most of the towed vehicle weight on the hitch. I don't think any standard hitch I've seen mounted on any motorhome can handle this much weight. It would be interesting to see how the manufacturer addresses this concern.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:44 AM   #80

THOR #13281
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeroe66 View Post
Just checked my 4Runner manual NO Towing, and my 2 wheel Tacoma is rear wheel so I could but have to tow it backwards with the front wheels off the ground.
Levitate ?